The Student Room Group
asiansentinel
Hey guys.

Can someone give me a break-down on which universities in the US are the best for undergraduates in the major of international relations / international studies? Thanks guys :smile:

These were published in the March/April 2007 Issue of Foreign Policy Magazine for undergrad IR programs. Surprised JHU would be so low. Oh well, start researching these, not like you're even going to apply to 20 anyway.

1. Harvard University
2. Princeton University
3. Stanford University
4. Georgetown University
5. Columbia University
6. Yale University
7. University of Chicago
8. University of California-Berkeley
9. Dartmouth College
10. George Washington University
11. American University
12. University of Michigan
13. Tufts University
14. Swarthmore College
14. University of California-San Diego
16. Cornell University
17. Brown University
18. Williams College
19. Duke University
19. Johns Hopkins University
Reply 2
drive like june
These were published in the March/April 2007 Issue of Foreign Policy Magazine for undergrad IR programs. Surprised JHU would be so low. Oh well, start researching these, not like you're even going to apply to 20 anyway.

1. Harvard University
2. Princeton University
3. Stanford University
4. Georgetown University
5. Columbia University
6. Yale University
7. University of Chicago
8. University of California-Berkeley
9. Dartmouth College
10. George Washington University
11. American University
12. University of Michigan
13. Tufts University
14. Swarthmore College
14. University of California-San Diego
16. Cornell University
17. Brown University
18. Williams College
19. Duke University
19. Johns Hopkins University

Terima kasih my friend. I shall get researching :smile:
Reply 3
For undergraduates, Johns Hopkins University and Georgetown are known to have the best. These rankings are now 3 years old.
Georgetown ftw.
All of those 20 are fine universities...

But the advice i normally give to prospective undergrads about US uni's, is that the overall level of professor quality at US universities is extremely high: because it's so hard to get a tenured professorship in the US, regardless of what uni in the top 50 or top 100 that you attend, it's likely that your profs got their PhD's at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, etc. and are going to be very smart people who will love it if they have motivated students...

So i'd say, for undergrad purposes, it's better to choose your initial uni options based on other considerations: location, atmosphere, personal fit, and only afterwards factor in department rankings and such...because unless, say, you doing ultra-advanced physics and need to be at Caltech, it's really not going to matter that much as an undergrad what your department ranking is...

full disclosure: i'm a volunteer admissions interviewer for Harvard...i loved going there as an undergrad, but i transfered to Harvard in my junior year from University of Virginia, and i have to say that my UVa profs were at least as good, if not better, in terms of undergrad teaching...

So, in terms of those 20 schools, UCSD (just for a random example) may have some great IR profs, but i'd imagine that your undergrad education might be better at a few dozen other schools that aren't on the list...
Reply 6
OrpheusInAsia
All of those 20 are fine universities...

But the advice i normally give to prospective undergrads about US uni's, is that the overall level of professor quality at US universities is extremely high: because it's so hard to get a tenured professorship in the US, regardless of what uni in the top 50 or top 100 that you attend, it's likely that your profs got their PhD's at Harvard, Columbia, Stanford, etc. and are going to be very smart people who will love it if they have motivated students...

So i'd say, for undergrad purposes, it's better to choose your initial uni options based on other considerations: location, atmosphere, personal fit, and only afterwards factor in department rankings and such...because unless, say, you doing ultra-advanced physics and need to be at Caltech, it's really not going to matter that much as an undergrad what your department ranking is...

full disclosure: i'm a volunteer admissions interviewer for Harvard...i loved going there as an undergrad, but i transfered to Harvard in my junior year from University of Virginia, and i have to say that my UVa profs were at least as good, if not better, in terms of undergrad teaching...

So, in terms of those 20 schools, UCSD (just for a random example) may have some great IR profs, but i'd imagine that your undergrad education might be better at a few dozen other schools that aren't on the list...

Thank you for the useful advice. I really appreciate the insight that you have given. After looking at the universities, I'm going to gun for the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown :smile:
cool...i was on the Georgetown campus a couple months ago (just walking around killing time before i was meeting my mom for dinner in DC) and i have to say, the campus had a nice vibe: everyone said "hello" along the paths and it was pretty and generally a good place to be...

and, while it's not known specifically for IR, i'd say you should take a look at University of Virginia, one of the most beautiful campuses in the US and a great school...

Latest

Trending

Trending