The Student Room Group
Reply 1
itsalion00
In virtue ethics, I don't fully understand what character is. What is it that makes it more than the sum of a person's actions?

i don't fully get what you mean, do you mean the 'good character' that plato talks about?
Reply 2
In virtue ethics, good character is a person who achieves the highest good and inner well being. A virtuous person acts excellently at all times and follows the cardinal virtues. A person's actions are good when all the virtues are in balance. Virtue ethics focuses on what person someone ought to be rather than how they ought to act, so it is agent-centered morality rather than act-centered.
Does this help to answer your question?
Reply 3
No this is not what I meant. You are motivated to act in a certain way because a virtuous person would do it, and you want to be like them. Being a virtuous person is having a good character. So, is this good character just the sum of all their virtuous actions? I think I may just be confusing myself.
Reply 4
itsalion00
No this is not what I meant. You are motivated to act in a certain way because a virtuous person would do it, and you want to be like them. Being a virtuous person is having a good character. So, is this good character just the sum of all their virtuous actions? I think I may just be confusing myself.

Yeah, by practicing the virtues you pretty much add them to your collection of virtues. These virtues all lead you to eudemonia, which is the state of human flourishing.

Latest

Trending

Trending