The Student Room Group

I hold a firm offer yet im clueless.

See above. I dont even know if i want to go to uni. I dont know what I want to do. I don't know whether Journalism or even education is for me. Money does not equal happiness imo. Would I prefer to have a ****** job abroad yet have fun doing what I love (a hobby) and general leading an 'easy' lifestyle? I don't know.

Is taking a year out going to end up being a permanent 'out' period or will it clear my mind? If i go to uni, is it delaying the inevitable of hating education?

So many questions, and tbh, no-one, nto even me, can answer them.

Pointless post, but see thread title.

:frown:
Reply 1
If you're really unsure, maybe a year out would be best. Try to do something special though, and then you'll be developing new skills and seeing where your interests lie.

Even though the UCAS deadline is officially January you could apply just through Clearing if you decide that you want to go back to uni after your year out.
Reply 2
Cheers Juno.

I thought about tha year out but something special costs, and im pretty sure i wouldn;t be able to fund it now as the 'year out' would be starting in oct.

Argh.
Reply 3
Well, I saw something on TV today (I think!) saying that you can go abroad with something and it only costs £900. So you could work for part of the year, and then go and do whatever you wanted with the rest of your time.

One of my friends took a late gap year and worked madly (she had a full time job and then did bar work) and then went to Kenya to do outreach work there from about Easter, so it is possible.

And with top up fees you don't have to pay it back til you're earning over £15,000 a year. So if you did decide to get a lower paid job you love you'd never have to pay them back. Under the current system you have to pay them upfront.
Reply 4
Its not a silly post, as im sure its a familiar position to many, many people. You have just been sensible in addressing it now rather than pretending it will go away - if you have profound doubts, tis best to address them before you go. As ive said on previous posts, choosing to go somewhere for 3 years is a big commitment and you should be sure about it before you go. However, is this a recent feeling or a long held one?

I know that on results day, when I got them in the dim and distant past, I remember having butterflies that this seemingly distant and wonderous place that seemed an age away was now all but here. I think this kind of feeling, and understandable nerves about going somewhere and doing something new, fitting in are to be expected. If, however you have had it for longer, its probably worth giving it some further serious thought.

Rest on your feelings for the weekend and if u still feel the same by monday, then take some action. Either way, I would certainly suggest talking to people at college about how you feel as you need to know that, whatever decision you take, you did so for the right reasons and with all the relevant factors taken into consideration.

I wouldnt be too scared about one year out becoming many. If you want to follow your chosen path enough, then you will return to it. Plus, you have plenty of time on your side too! Some more life experience isn't going to do you any harm, especially for something like journalism where (I imagine) you need to have been around a bit to succeed.

Give yourself a bit of space, and then see how you feel as ive said. let us know how you are feeling on Monday, and take it from there would be my personal for the time being.
Reply 5
Thanks you two.

After having thought, my choices are;

a) go to London (my firm), if i like it, i like it. If i don't, drop out. Atleast it's a door closed.
b) take a year out with the attitude that if i'm not sure i shouldn't be going
c) depends on b, do something with it, either save turtles or teach english, who knows.

My parents, girl and friends are all supporting me so i guess it's all good. :smile:
Reply 6
i think theres a website called gapyeardirectory.com (or something like that!) that has options for what you could do this year if you dont go to uni.
I know exactly how you feel though, only on Thursday I was saying to myself that I dont want to go to uni... but after realising i might be able to change my course (from journalism to english) then it will be worthwhile.
Ive decided to go to uni despite my doubts because I know that if its not for me I can just drop out, and then get a job or work abroad - www.i-to-i.com is a really cheap way of going abroad, and for a worthwhile cause too!

Good luck, your lucky everyone is supporting you so dont worry :smile:
Reply 7
erk
Thanks you two.

After having thought, my choices are;

a) go to London (my firm), if i like it, i like it. If i don't, drop out. Atleast it's a door closed.
b) take a year out with the attitude that if i'm not sure i shouldn't be going
c) depends on b, do something with it, either save turtles or teach english, who knows.

My parents, girl and friends are all supporting me so i guess it's all good. :smile:

Sounds like you are in a good, positive frame of mind which is great:smile: and yeah, the support of loved ones is a major plus, so good on them too:smile: Life is often what you make it, and if you are determined to take a positive outlook, good things will follow im sure:smile:
Reply 8
I'm doing choice a. :smile:

cheers.

Latest

Trending

Trending