Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Clegg on BBC1

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IeuanF)
    I thought he came across very well. Harman on The Campaign Show on the other hand...

'Is the manifesto Blair+?'
    Harriet Harman MP: 'If Mandelson says so, then I suppose it must be right.'
    As David Milliband said, "The Lord Mandelson works in mysterious ways."
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    No no no.
    The Liberal Democrat leader clearly specified that he and his party would vote against a Tory budget that proposed cuts straight away. Now, he cannot claim to support a mandate for the Tories (if they are the largest) and then say he wouldn't support them if he disagrees.
    He doesn't have to support them on every point and if some sort of coalition is going to be brought about then Clegg would push the Tories to drop cuts straigh away.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sc8880)
    And long may this stupid perception continue
    The Lib Dems continue to gain more seats every election, there are marginal constituencies that could quite easily fall into Lib Dem hands giving them 30 more seats. I would like them to have around 100 seats after the election though.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakujo)
    He doesn't have to support them on every point and if some sort of coalition is going to be brought about then Clegg would push the Tories to drop cuts straigh away.
    Precisely. Cuts is the most important policy and Cleggy won't support a Tory mandate even though he said he would respect the wishes of the people. What he meant in real life was absolutely nothing and that he will support only his policies and doesn't give a damn about a Tory mandate.

Disagreeing with other points would be acceptable, but cuts are very very major and the most important and yet he won't agree. In effect, he lied.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I agree, it's still within the British economy. But like I quoted, there's more (a lot more) to the economy than the state purse and state spending. I'm with the LibDems' on their proper 'tax relief/breaks'. It's up to individuals, like yourself and I, to get this money moving within the UK.
    She did say say that 'tax rises take money out of the real economy', or something to that effect. The idea that there is a 'real' part of the UK, and a fake part, is clearly tosh.

In terms of utility functions and the like (excuse my little indulgence, I've been revising economics today), redistribution of money could easily be viewed as efficient.

As such, tax breaks for the poor, such as those the Lib Dems offer, are great, as far as I'm concerned.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Neither did Labour and what we got was a few good years where Labour followed Tory budgets, then we got over spending and tax increases.
    Completely different situation entering into this general election compared to 1997. The Tories had made a mess of the country full stop, Labour were doing fine until the inevitable greed of banks exposed itself. In 2010 we face a huge debt and a careful climb out of recession.

You mean like the hundred or so business leaders that support the Tories.
    No, I don't. Don't always believe everything they say on Question Time, politicians have a tendancy to lie and exaggerate (particularly the ones wearing your blue ribbon as we'll find out in a few months)

Pathetic class based discrimination. You don't have to be a millionaire to benefit under the Tories. The poor do well under the Tories if they are willing to work for a living and work as hard as they can.
    My Dad worked very hard but unfortunately came from a poor family who couldn't afford the luxery of university so he had to train as a printer and has worked as one all his life on a very average wage which meant our family relied heavily on child tax credits which the Tories cut massively for middle income families (sounds familiar) Don't assume that everyone who are 'poor' as you say don't work hard, the majority do but have middle of the road salaries. These are the people who have and always will suffer under a Tory government.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Precisely. Cuts is the most important policy and Cleggy won't support a Tory mandate even though he said he would respect the wishes of the people.
    Clegg doesn't have to support a Tory mandate or any other mandate apart from his own.

What he meant in real life was absolutely nothing and that he will support only his policies and doesn't give a damn about a Tory mandate.
    No ****.

Disagreeing with other points would be acceptable, but cuts are very very major and the most important and yet he won't agree. In effect, he lied.
    He won't agree to immdeiate cuts, he could negotiate cuts after a few months or years if he choses to join a coalition.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. Don't always believe everything they say on Question Time, politicians have a tendancy to lie and exaggerate (particularly the ones wearing your blue ribbon as we'll find out in a few months)
    Are you actually disputing that? :facepalm:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...fil-pledges.do
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Completely different situation entering into this general election compared to 1997. The Tories had made a mess of the country full stop, Labour were doing fine until the inevitable greed of banks exposed itself. In 2010 we face a huge debt and a careful climb out of recession.
    Tories took a broken economy from Labour and turned it into a stronger and larger economy. Due to Tory reforms, we experienced unprecedented growth. It was the budgets of Kenneth Clarke that sowed the seed of economic prosperity whereas Labour slowly undermined that prosperity through debt and political gimmicks.

(particularly the ones wearing your blue ribbon as we'll find out in a few months)
    You mean like Brown lying about immigration figures or defence spending figures? Haha

My Dad worked very hard but unfortunately came from a poor family
    My parents came from pretty poor families.

who couldn't afford the luxery of university
    My dad doesn't have a single qualification to his name and my mum got her first qualification (NVQ) about 2 months ago.

The point I am trying to make here is that just because are poor doesn't mean they instantly do badly under the Conservatives. My parents did brilliantly under the Conservatives because of the liberalisation of employment. My parents were able to work as much as necessary and in as many different jobs as necessary - including a chicken slaughter factory.

If people are willing to do whatever they can to do, they will benefit under a Conservative administration who will help those who are desperately trying to help themselves but need a little help from the state.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clegg doesn't have to support a Tory mandate or any other mandate apart from his own.
    Then Mr Clegg shouldn't have said that he would support a party with the largest mandate. He has lied and you agree or not?
    No ****.
    So you do agree?
    Brilliant. Clegg is a liar.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    it was funny when paxman was beginning to lose his voice at the end, and nick clegg was taking advantage to get his policies in(when paxman was clearing his throat) because paxman was interrupting him alot in his usual style.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Then Mr Clegg shouldn't have said that he would support a party with the largest mandate. He has lied and you agree or not?
    Did Clegg every say that he will support every single proposal of the party with the largest mandate?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did Clegg every say that he will support every single proposal of the party with the largest mandate?
    Mr Clegg said he would support the party with the largest mandate; seats and/or votes. Now, if he doesn't agree with the Conservatives on the largest issue; cutting expenditure, then Clegg cannot claim to support them.

He lied.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mr Clegg said he would support the party with the largest mandate; seats and/or votes. Now, if he doesn't agree with the Conservatives on the largest issue; cutting expenditure, then Clegg cannot claim to support them.

He lied.
    He can claim to be willing to negotiate with the Tories, and help them get certain reforms through. That would be supporting them in a way. It just depends how broadly you define the word 'support'.

After all, if there is no majority government, should the party with the largest number of MPs get all of their policies and nothing else through? I'd argue that they shouldn't.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He can claim to be willing to negotiate with the Tories, and help them get certain reforms through. That would be supporting them in a way. It just depends how broadly you define the word 'support'.

After all, if there is no majority government, should the party with the largest number of MPs get all of their policies and nothing else through? I'd argue that they shouldn't.
    This, that was expressed far better than I ever could :yeah:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Great performance! I think he dealt with Paxman well.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    go cleggy! I think he did well.
    It was funny he would be half way through answering a question then you could just hear paxman from out of shot making some weird scary sighing noise.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's finally on iPlayer! :w00t:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    It's finally on iPlayer! :w00t:
    They've been really slow uploading stuff onto iPlayer recently.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    They've been really slow uploading stuff onto iPlayer recently.
    I think it's only on the main website. I know the show was on my phone a while back.. Just took a while for it to be on the main site. :confused:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2010
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.