The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Undergraduate level, graduate level or just better generally?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Oxford doesn't offer straight economics, the nearest is economics and management.
Reply 3
Would you really like to live in LSE accommodation?
Reply 4
Tek
Would you really like to live in LSE accommodation?

lol socially and practically Oxbridge is surely better
Reply 5
in the times.......UCL is rated first for eco....than cambridge than LSE...
Reply 6
Alexander
lol socially and practically Oxbridge is surely better

And Durham, and Bristol, and Nottingham, and Warwick...etc.
zero101
london has a much better social life than oxford

not from what i've heard from people at ucl, imp, lse, kings and city, all my friends go out once a week max

£6 for a drink, blimin heck!
Try Whitherspoons in Leicester Sq. then go play on the bumper karts!! That is a fun combination, and fact that London has a better social life than Oxbridge. When I went to the Oxford open day they kept mentioning the bus link that goes to London every 6 minutes for everyone to go out and have a good time. As for course content I do not really know, however the gaps are closing between tradition and excellence- universities like LSE and UCL are "moving on up"- and soon LSE will bid to be the worlds leading social sciences uni, so what does that tell one?
zero101
london has a much better social life than oxford
however the course eco+mgmt did appeal to me more which is why i applied to ox as well - didnt getin tho :s-smilie:

It's debatable whether the average LSE undergraduate would have access to the wonderful social life of London.

I think the overall undergraduate experience would be better in an Oxbridge college than in LSE. I know there is a high percentage of postgraduates in LSE and large undergraduate classes. There is also the accommodation problem. It's not just a matter of cost: there can be long distances to be travelled.

I'm speaking as a parent of one current Oxford student who contemplated LSE and another who is thinking of Cambridge/Imperial next year. There is no argument about the intellectual rigour of the London colleges. But the undergraduate experience does and should do go much further.
Reply 10
I don't think they're comparable to PPE at Oxford to be honest.
To tell you the truth, the social side should have nothing to do with the equation- socially if you want a lot out of university you put a lot in. Its like Karma- what you put in socially, you will get out. So whether its London or Oxford- if you put in something worthwhile, your getting something worthwhile out.
rainbowchild
To tell you the truth, the social side should have nothing to do with the equation- socially if you want a lot out of university you put a lot in. Its like Karma- what you put in socially, you will get out. So whether its London or Oxford- if you put in something worthwhile, your getting something worthwhile out.

Maybe the social side shouldn't: but, trust me ( a graduate of a University in a large city) it does. To be 18 and have to travel up to an hour to and from your college does make a difference. In Oxbridge it is much easier. It's not home from home by any means, but the transition from a home to a university environment is much easier.

My daughter is at Oxford. It's a long way and very different from her home environment. But believe me, there is great security in being part of a community. And then you can have the confidence to move out beyond that and take on whatever the world throws at you.
Reply 13
Don't make the mistake of thinking that Oxbridge is 'better' than LSE. Someone I know has had conversations with lecturers at Cambridge who openly say that LSE is superior to Cambridge in terms of research. Also, this guy took a gap year and worked in the financial sector (Arthur Andersen) for a year and the people at the firm had at least as much respect for LSE as they did for Cambridge of not more. LSE is highly rated all over the world and, if you are thinking about the future and believe that Cambridge will give u an edge, i think u would be making a mistake.

That's what my m8 thought, but hisexperiece of the last couple of years has changed his mind. Also, i think that if you go to the LSE you will meet a more diverse group of people from all over the world which, in my opinion is a very good thing.
Reply 14
earthmother
Maybe the social side shouldn't: but, trust me ( a graduate of a University in a large city) it does. To be 18 and have to travel up to an hour to and from your college does make a difference. In Oxbridge it is much easier. It's not home from home by any means, but the transition from a home to a university environment is much easier.

My daughter is at Oxford. It's a long way and very different from her home environment. But believe me, there is great security in being part of a community. And then you can have the confidence to move out beyond that and take on whatever the world throws at you.

surely if you learn to survive on your own in london as a student , you will have better experience to 'take on whatever the world throws at you' rather than being comforted in an oxbridge college?
earthmother

I hardly believe the latter part of that argument, nothing can prepare one for the torments of the world (the first noble truth, all life is suffering). I also find it hard to believe that so much security builds confidence outside of its own walls.
rainbowchild
I hardly believe the latter part of that argument, nothing can prepare one for the torments of the world (the first noble truth, all life is suffering). I also find it hard to believe that so much security builds confidence outside of its own walls.

Sorry, long experience of "the torments of the world". And the securer and happier you are in yourself the more prepared you are to face them. Take that from one who has been through plenty.
Reply 17
earthmother
Sorry, long experience of "the torments of the world". And the securer and happier you are in yourself the more prepared you are to face them. Take that from one who has been through plenty.

You seem to rely a lot more on YOUR experience and YOUR beliefs than you do on logical arguments.
Life is never going to be easy. Some, like me, get a kick out of a challenge. I think the transition into uni (in question) is not that of a majority of university environments but into a right-wing, self preservationist, traditionalist one. We could all make the transition easier into uni, by making every course a mickey-mouse course or perhaps just give away diplomas for arriving on time.
Reply 19
earthmother
I'm speaking as a parent of one current Oxford student who contemplated LSE and another who is thinking of Cambridge/Imperial next year.

Maybe the social side shouldn't: but, trust me ( a graduate of a University in a large city) it does.

My daughter is at Oxford...But believe me, there is great security in being part of a community

Sorry, long experience of "the torments of the world".

Just because YOU had a bad experience at a London college doesn't mean that other people won't enjoy studying in London. It's a vibrant and dynamic city, rich in cultural diversity, and anyone willing to make the effort CAN have a smashing time! Just because YOU decided to bypass the social element doesn't mean that everyone else will. In addition, London life prepares you much better for the "real world" than the narrow Oxbridge environment.

Latest

Trending

Trending