Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stephen Fry and Oscar Wilde

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had read many works of Wilde before I actually seen his image in a photograph.

However, for some strange reason that I can't possibly think of, I always imagined him to be identical to Stephen Fry.

Anybody else get this image of Oscar Wilde? I suppose my general question is this:

If you, at one time, never knew what Oscar Wilde looked like, what did you imagine him to look like. And if you currently don't know what he looks like, tell me what you imagine he looks like now (after which, you may google).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry has played the part of Oscar Wilde in film maybe that's where you got the idea from. Having said that, there is a similarity between the two of them:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I always imagined him looking like Fry... but maybe that's because he played him in a film...
    maybe you saw it when you were a kid and it stuck?
    Plus, they look alike.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so basically what the guy above said (sorry- didn't see your post)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I imagined him to be leaner, with fair hair
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i imagined him thin, feminine, curved nose and light hair nothing like Stephen at all.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saint)
    i imagined him thin, feminine, curved nose and light hair nothing like Stephen at all.
    Oh snap
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your right there is quite the resemblence. I have seen that film about Oscar Wilde, is it good?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who looks like Oscar Wilde. That's quite cool.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Stephen Fry has been a massive, unashamed fan of Wilde for many a year leading to his portrayal of Wilde in the film.
    He wrote the preface to "Nothing except my genuis", a collection of Wilde quotes, and shows evidence of a lifetime's connection with the man and presumabley has modelled his own character somehwat on that of Oscar Wilde.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've always thought there was quite a resemblance between them. They have very similar faces. Even their noses are pretty similar. I thought this even before the film came out (which I've only ever seen a small bit of anyway.)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had never heard of that film. TBH, I imagined him looking more like Stephen Fry when he played Jeeves.

It was purely a result of the way I read Oscar Wilde, and how I imagined him to be through his literature, rather than from any appearance of Fry in a film. I've definitely never heard of or seen that film before.

But, the fact that they cast Fry only stands to suggest that people other than myself thought of Fry when they read Wilde!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2010
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.