The Student Room Group

Permanent Hair Straightening?

I.e Yuko, Ionic Reconditioning, et cetera. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so tell me about it; how did it work out? Are you satisfied? I'm thinking of getting it done as my curly hair is beginning to seriously piss me off, and I just think straight looks better.
Blátönn
I.e Yuko, Ionic Reconditioning, et cetera. Has anyone had any experience with this? If so tell me about it; how did it work out? Are you satisfied? I'm thinking of getting it done as my curly hair is beginning to seriously piss me off, and I just think straight looks better.

I haven't done it myself but I have a few friends who have. They all love it. The biggest set backs are the length of time it takes to get it done (depends how much hair you have and how curly it is) and the cost. It lasts quite a few months. If you're hair's not extremely curly you should get it relaxed.. super curly try getting it chemically straightened.
I'm Yuko System trained and also do all the other types of straightening too.

If you have long curly hair and are happy to spend £200 Yuko System will change your life as it will get your hair perfectly straight and silky. You only need to wash it and leave it and you will have straightened smooth hair.

Its very time consuming to have done (usually about 5 hours) and it will last (on long hair) about 9 months before you need the re-growth doing. I would strongly recommend you invest the time and money going into a proper Yuko trained salon or stylist. You need someone who does it all the time. Toni & Guy started offering it a few years ago and were getting dreadful results as their stylists weren't used to perming technology or the straightening method. I always recommend a few salons - one being Yuko in Mayfair itself.

Also, if you have any bleach on your hair you can't have it done or it will frizz. If your hair has loads of bleach you should have the Brazilian Keratin Treatment which doesn't get the hair straight but makes it smooth.
I'm Yuko System trained and also do all the other types of straightening too.

If you have long curly hair and are happy to spend £200 Yuko System will change your life as it will get your hair perfectly straight and silky. You only need to wash it and leave it and you will have straightened smooth hair.

Its very time consuming to have done (usually about 5 hours) and it will last (on long hair) about 9 months before you need the re-growth doing. I would strongly recommend you invest the time and money going into a proper Yuko trained salon or stylist. You need someone who does it all the time. Toni & Guy started offering it a few years ago and were getting dreadful results as their stylists weren't used to perming technology or the straightening method. I always recommend a few salons - one being Yuko in Mayfair itself.

Also, if you have any bleach on your hair you can't have it done or it will frizz. If your hair has loads of bleach you should have the Brazilian Keratin Treatment which doesn't get the hair straight but makes it smooth.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies. Is £200 the base cost or do they add more for length and thickness? My hair is hip length (an inch more and I could sit on it), extremely thick, and very curly when left unstraightened. I could imagine them needing more time and materials, that's all.
Reply 5
Blátönn

If you can find a place that does permanent hair straightening with natural ingredients like how the Brazilian and Japanese people do it. I hear it lasts forever! but the process takes about 4-6 depending on how curly your hair is. The good thing is that it stays straight and not even humidity can do anything to it. Although the bad thing is that new hair grow isn't affected since you can't really break the bonds on the roots that haven't come out of your head yet..

People say you can go for chemical straightening but some people don't do it 100% straight because when your new hair grows, it looks really messed up because of how people's hair grow at different lengths. So some or most will do it 95% instead and you just have to do a little bit of straightening, but your hair would probably be lightly wavy since it's not 100% :smile:

Oh and for hair relaxing... some guy on youtube said that you have to not wash your hair for 3 days or so because the relaxers would burn your scalp if there is no oil to protect it.
Reply 6
Isn't relaxing for frizzy African hair? I've heard it basically turns the texture of the hair into straw, hence why so many black women wear weaves. Either way my hair isn't that curly; it's European curly.
I had this thing done with the matrix straightening system on 2008.

It cost around 200 quid as well. I had very long, frizzy fuzzy hair, on top of that it was bleached and dyed.

The beautician did a strand test first and showed me how it would look like (she was also testing to see if my hair would fry with all the chemicals). It didn't so I decided to go for it.

It took about 4 or 5 hours but it was sooo worth it. It was silky smooth, flat and freeze free for about 10 months until it began to grow again. I'd highly recommend it.

BTW, if your hair is that long they might charge you much more than that as they might have to use 2 packs of the matrix thingie.
Blatoon if you have waist length hair it will cost you a fortune (seriously) maybe £500 - £600 and will take maybe 8 hours to do. However, if you can save up for that overlay and you keep your hair waist length it's possible you wouldn't need it doing again for a few years as the weight and direction of the straightened hair will pull down the root wave the grows through.

These really are investment services, you get what you pay for. Afro hair is relaxed which is a completely different service and Brazilian Keratin is for condition, it can't take wave out of the hair.

The service you need is Japanesse hair straightening. As I said for waist length hair I'd go to the Yuko Salon in mayfair, pay whatever price they say and if you don't live in London travel here just for that service. Hair that long needs to be done perfectly and if you get it done with Yuko you will be happy for ages with it!
Reply 9
ScottCornwall
Blatoon if you have waist length hair it will cost you a fortune (seriously) maybe £500 - £600 and will take maybe 8 hours to do. However, if you can save up for that overlay and you keep your hair waist length it's possible you wouldn't need it doing again for a few years as the weight and direction of the straightened hair will pull down the root wave the grows through.

These really are investment services, you get what you pay for. Afro hair is relaxed which is a completely different service and Brazilian Keratin is for condition, it can't take wave out of the hair.

The service you need is Japanesse hair straightening. As I said for waist length hair I'd go to the Yuko Salon in mayfair, pay whatever price they say and if you don't live in London travel here just for that service. Hair that long needs to be done perfectly and if you get it done with Yuko you will be happy for ages with it!

Wow, that is a lot. I thought maybe at most a £100 extra. I know what you mean about the weight causing it to straight - I have only a light wave down to about my shoulder then it gradual gets curlier and curly until it eventually spirals into ringlets about three inches from the end.

I'll definately look into the Mayfair salon as I've heard they're pretty much the best in Europe for Yuko. I live in Norway so that puts the expense up unfortunately, I guess next time I visit my family in England I'll drop make an appointment for it as well.

Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.
For very long hair you are far better investing that bit more going to Yuko in Mayfair. If you go to a salon (in Norway) that promises to be good at Yuko and aren't it could ruin the condition of your hair and leave you with half straight half wavy hair which will be a pain for you.
Reply 11
If the hair isn’t that curly but it’s dry and thin how much do you think it cost? Because i want to straighten my hair permanently
Does anyone know a salon in Peterborough who does this yuko straightening ?

Quick Reply

Latest