The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Doubts---ucl Accommodation...!!

Hey folks,

Since my course (MSc in Machine Learning) starts this September, I am seeking for a good accommodation (single) & had some queries/doubts regarding the same.

Firstly, I want to know whether students pursuing a Master’s degree at UCL are given accommodation at the university halls/hostels?

Secondly, are the university halls/hostels better than a private accommodation? By better I mean, whether they are more comfortable (in terms of study environment & distance from UCL) than a private accommodation?

Also, are the university halls/hostels cheaper as compared to a private accommodation somewhere nearby UCL?

Since, I do not know anybody in London, I am keen to know the procedure of getting a good university hall/private accommodation before landing at UCL.

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.:smile:

Thanks in advance,

Sunny
UKASPIRANT

Firstly, I want to know whether students pursuing a Master’s degree at UCL are given accommodation at the university halls/hostels?

As far as I understand it, we (I'm also a graduate student) get priority along with international students for UCL housing. I am applying for Hawkridge House myself because its mostly graduate students. I just inserted a cover letter with my application explaining that I'd like to be placed there. There are other predominantly graduate houses, I'm uncertain of the names, but you can find discussions about the in the Accommodations thread.

UKASPIRANT

Also, are the university halls/hostels cheaper as compared to a private accommodation somewhere nearby UCL?

Everything I'm hearing from people on the ground at UCL say that it is cheaper to live in UCL housing. Hawkridge is 94/week while private sits around 150/week.

Hope this helps, sorry I couldn't answer your other questions but figured I would give you what I've learned so far.

by the way, are you an EU or Non/international student?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
hey kelllybellly

Since I am an international student, can you tell me how to go about the UCL housing procedure...? And which according to you are the best halls for postgraduate students ?

Sunny
hey sunny,

i'll be glad to help as best i can. if you've been made an offer at UCL and plan on/or have already accepted you can download the application from the housing website and send that in. If you're waiting to send it in because you're not sure if you're going to UCL, the deadline for the postgraduate app is June 30th or thereabouts. i was told by housing that if you have a preference for a certain building to include a cover letter with your application stating your preference. they did say however, that this is not a guarantee that you will get your preference but since were some of the first to get allocated being graduate/international, i see no problem with us getting our preferences.

i sent in my application with a cover letter stating that i would like Hawkridge House. Its one of the cheapest but a bit far away, almost 2 miles, a 20 minute bus ridge or 10 minute bike ride. it comes highly recommended by a student living there at this very moment. it is mostly postgraduate and newly renovated. the building is set up as flats/apartments with up to 6 people sharing one flat. there are large kitchens and usually 2 of each, showers, toilets, sinks, etc.

other postgraduates can be placed in buildings like arthur tatersall and john tovall but are mixed in with undergrads. they are single rooms but are usually on a corridor with communal bathrooms/kitchens.

i guess it all depends on what kind of atmosphere you're looking for and how much money you've got to spend. i'm paying for school on my own and just finished my bachelors degree which means i haven't got a lot to spend, which is why i'm opting for hawkridge. its also in a residential part of town which is supposed to be more "london" than living closer to campus, which is mostly a undergrad/uni feel.

this is what i've gathered so far and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask. i'm sure i've left something important out.

also after you've sent in your application, you should get a postcard in the mail that says they've gotten everything and when to expect to hear from them. i think they put sept. 7 on everyones but if you're unconditional firm by may/june, then it seems like you get your assignment mid-july!
Reply 4
hey kellllybelllly,

I have some questions for you since you seem to know someone in Hawkridge and I'm seriously considering it.

1. Are there any nearby parks that are good for running?
2. Do most students typically walk, bike, or take the bus?

Thanks so much!

Anna
anna begins
hey kellllybelllly,

I have some questions for you since you seem to know someone in Hawkridge and I'm seriously considering it.

1. Are there any nearby parks that are good for running?
2. Do most students typically walk, bike, or take the bus?

Thanks so much!

Anna

I put the questions out there for the couple of people I know in Hawkridge. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything! Of course, all the reviews of Hawkridge I've heard so far have been glowing so thats a big factor in me wanting to live there.

I think I may know the answer to the 2nd question myself, and that is that most people take the bus. There is a bus stop right outside, 24, that takes you directly to UCL's campus and is about 20 min. I've asked around about bus passes and whatnot and most agree that buying the student oyster monthly pass is the most cost efficient. I think its about 36 pounds and if you figure that you'll be taking at least 10 trips a week (Mon.-Fri./twice a day) at regular price would be 1 pound each way, multiply that by 4 and you've got 40 pounds and that doesn't include any other trips you make. Some also bike as well.

once i hear back from my Hawkridge informants i'll get back to you! :smile:
so here's the info from one informant:

"Yes! Hampstead Heath is perfect for running. It's about 10 minutes north of Hawky. As for getting to college most people get the bus. I did bike for a while but my tyres didn't hold out, nor did the bike itself."

hope that helps, if i get any more info i'll let you know!
Reply 7
Hey guys..

I've just got an offer to do a Masters at UCL - I was told by the uni accom office that only international grad students would get accomodation in halls, have you heard something different?
yeah i think you're right, for grad students, you have to be outside of the eu and uk to get ucl accommodation.
Reply 9
That is correct, although there would be a very small chance of getting in.

Besides, I am sure you would have a much more tranquil time living on your own or in a flatshare.

Anecdotal from friends in other halls, they say undergrad/postgrad relations are somewhat strained.
i.e. the younguns making too much noise, being messy and dirty, not wanting to hang out with older people etc.
Reply 10
Hey folks,

I took a look at the list of expenses involved at different halls/houses available at UCL and found out that some of them are in accordance to my preferences/constraints. Kindly help me out in zeroing in to the most suitable one.

I am looking for a single room accommodation in halls close to UCL, but living at them comes at a price which I can’t afford.:s-smilie: So, I am fine with living in the halls which are within 20-30 mins walk from UCL, but the single room condition is non negotiable:p: . In the accommodation booklet, Ann Stephenson and Neil Sharp Houses, Ely House, Hawkridge House and Max Rayne House are the only ones within my reach. I would like to know which amongst these four is the closest to UCL? Which one of these is the best and most preferred by international graduate students?

Also, what are the pros and cons of the other private hall providers? Is there any private hall within 100 pounds/week close to UCL? Is the atmosphere in the private halls conducive to study? There was a mention about these halls in the booklet, but their fees and amenities wasn’t mentioned anywhere..:frown:

Also, are there any university halls close to UCL, other than the ones mentioned in the booklet?

Any help in this regard would be highly appreciated.:smile:

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Sunny
Reply 11
waiting fr replies...
Reply 12
Hi Sunny,

I can tell u that there is no private halls round UCL at arnd 100/week for single rooms. UCL campus is located dead right in the middle of the city, so cheap accommodations are hard to come by.

You can actually go to the UCL residences website to check out the distances yourself. I would say that all the places you mentioned are roughly 20-40 minutes walk.

In all residences, you will definitely come across plenty of international students really. So it's hard to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending