The Student Room Group

What if you hate your parents?

...not that I do. I don't hate my parents. But the whole student loan system is very presumptuous on the notion that you get on with your parents and that, even if they have what is classed as a respectable income, they can afford to send you to uni if you can't support yourself.

I can't support myself with the current support I'm going to be getting: minimum amount of loan, no assistance with fees, so on. My dad's income is alright, but he has no disposable income because of what he has to do with his money. What if he just said, "I can't afford it. You can't go." Is there anything I can do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
thats the way life is for some people (sadly) i would work part time, till i could afford it or get a scholarship by studying very hard.

dont blame your parents.. they owe us nothing. (imho)
Reply 2
contact your lea and explain the situation they may be able to help
Reply 3
MKG
What if he just said, "I can't afford it. You can't go." Is there anything I can do?

It's a bloody good question, though - the whole system is very presumptous. I come from A One Parent Family [TM :biggrin: ] & have to pay the whole tuition fees for the three years, as well as all accom. fees etc. I have the loan, but no grant, & the loan barely has change left over after paying the accom - what if my mother wasn't able to contribute towards the fees? She has to pay all the household bills, mortgage, etc etc etc & now my tuition on top of that? Obviously I intend to contribute as much as I can but, with one thing & another, I'm totally in the minus figures at present... :rolleyes:

I understand that others are worse off than myself, going into uni, but I just don't think the LEA thinks things through properly. Like, for example, assessing income after tax would be rather a good start... I would've fallen under the bracket then, & paid less tuition.

... Argh. Rambled. Am just v.annoyed at the whole thing. Will shut up now. :biggrin:
Reply 4
That's the big problem with the system
Reply 5
work part time, that is what i do or will be doing (i don't hate my parents though) and see if you can get a scholarship.

IF you hate your parents aren't there any way around it? i mean it must happen that the parents can't help, or that you don't get a scholarship and can't find a part time job.
Reply 6
Actually someone at Notts subforum mentioned this - think he's just graduated as a postgrad. Think his loan was something like £3100-£3500 (don't remember) and he had no other support.

Ahh here is what he said:
pmj1980
without sounding too high and mighty, i supported myself when i was an undergrad purely on my loan - which was £3500. i had to pay for my accomodation with that, which obviously meant i went self-catered and lived on really cheap food. but i did that for three years. in fact, my final year loan was only £3000. you're being given more than that by your parents, and you're not having to pay for any accomodation. if i were you, i wouldn't panic. undergraduates are meant to be poor, and you won't be that badly off!
Reply 7
MKG
...not that I do. I don't hate my parents. But the whole student loan system is very presumptuous on the notion that you get on with your parents and that, even if they have what is classed as a respectable income, they can afford to send you to uni if you can't support yourself.

I can't support myself with the current support I'm going to be getting: minimum amount of loan, no assistance with fees, so on. My dad's income is alright, but he has no disposable income because of what he has to do with his money. What if he just said, "I can't afford it. You can't go." Is there anything I can do?

That's the exact same problem i am facing but lucky for me i don't have to pay tution fees as the nhs pays them.
Not sure if your LEA can help - to qualify as financially independent however and automatically receive full assistance means that you cannot have had CONTACT with your parents for the past three years...
...or be married :biggrin:
Reply 10
synaesthesia
Not sure if your LEA can help - to qualify as financially independent however and automatically receive full assistance means that you cannot have had CONTACT with your parents for the past three years...

Can you lie and say that you live in the same house as your parents but leave the house seperate times etc so you never see them? Anyone tried this?
Reply 11
This is one way top-up fees will help, i think they're better than current system as take emphasis away from parents and level playing field a bit. Still against them on principle as all education should be free to all.
Reply 12
Unless you're mature you would usually have to provide bills in your own name to prove you were independent, or some other form of proof.
If you live in the same house you wouldn't count as independent.
MKG
What if he just said, "I can't afford it. You can't go." Is there anything I can do?

My mum just said 'get another loan' when I worked out the home contribution:mad: I remember having a moan about the idea of parental contribution because it does depend on the outgoings of their income and their willingness to fund you.

Oh, and you have to prove that you have been estranged from your parents for a certain number of years I think, for the LEA to consider this.
Reply 14
This is the reason that uni's have hardship funds, the banks offer interest free loans, and you have the summer to work off these debts, as well as term time to hold a p/t job. All this on top of the standard LEA loan. :wink:
Reply 15
I think the current system is bizarre... it presumes that a live-in stepparent will pay towards your education whilst an absent parent will not. I'd guess it's more likely to be the other way around.
Student overdraft. That's how people cope. My accommodation will cost £2,774 and my tuition fees are £1,175. My loan is £3,145.

So £3,145 - £2,774 - £1,175 = -£804.

With the standard student overdraft that leaves me about £200 a year to buy food, clothes, train tickets, course material....

So I guess you'd have to get the student account with the biggest overdraft, work part-time during term time and get a full-time job in all your holidays. You could do it. But it'd be very hard.

I thought I was going to have to do this, so I took a gap year and by the time I start uni I will have saved £6,000. I should be able to pay for everything myself, however my mum has just got a huge promotion and her salary has literally doubled overnight, so thankfully my parents will now be able to help out.

My point is, you can do it, but it shows just how ridiculous the whole system is. If we didn't have so many people going into higher education (i.e. too many people who don't need it, aren't cut out for it and won't benefit from it) there would be more funding available to those who really should be going.

The new system also has a fundamental flaw. If students pay back their fees after they graduate, why should the level of fees they have to pay depend on their parents' income? It's not fair. Student A comes from a well-off family, has to pay full fees, graduates and gets a poorly paid but worthwhile job. It takes years to pay everything off. Student B comes from a low-income family, pays reduced fees, graduates and gets a very well-paid job in the city, paying off all his debts within a couple of years and becomes a millionnaire, whilst student A is still struggling to pay off his debts. How is that fair?

Blame politicians, they cock everything up. :rolleyes:
I am truely shocked how well my mother is taking the fact I am not going to Cardiff. She had to accepted after I only just got into Bangor.
But I am still going to struggle money wise.
I'm in a similar bracket, though fortunately my parents had put a little money aside for me for when I went to uni.

You can always take out more loans. It's not ideal but sometimes you have to... or you could take up a part-time job ot help pay for anything you couldn't afford.

It's always the people in the middle who suffer the most!
Reply 19
Ok a hypothetical situation based on a true event at school.

Person A lives at home with his mother, who last year started a new business, this therefore reduced her income to below £5000. However his other parent still earns a very respectable wage that would have put them into a much higher bracket of the loan system. However, as things stand his dad's details arent asked for, as he doesnt live at home. Yet he fully contributes to the family and the fees.

So he gets maximum loan, maximum grant and maximum university support. Which may come to over £6000, without family contribution. Pays lowest course fees.

Person B has two parents who both earn reasonable salaries (say 15k and 20k) - Thus putting them in a high income bracket. As both parents live at home, both details were required. With the combined incomes that may well total less than person A's dad's income, they a higher percentage of the fees, and receive a lower percentage of the loan.

There is obviously no sense to this system, especially in this hypothetical example. But it would be incredibly difficult for the university to asses individually each one of the thousands of applicants to university each year. Especially if they need to take into account parents roles within the family and disposable income.

There are winners and losers, but I don't think thats good enough.

Latest

Trending

Trending