The Student Room Group

UK university application help for EU student

Hi,

I´m going to apply for UK universities that I chose by the end of 2010 for 2011 / 2012 school year. I read on the ucas website, that the official deadline for applicants is 22 January. However, the official deadline for EU students is 30 June. The problem is, that - as they say - Universities and colleges do not guarantee to consider applications they receive after 15 January 2010, and some popular courses may not have vacancies after that date. In my college, we are taking our final exams in May and receive results in June. That means, that if I would apply for a university right after I receive my results, there is a big chance that I won´t be accepted, because all courses will be taken. Don´t you know if there´s anything I can do? Like an some qualification exams for international students or something like that? :woo:

Cheers,

Jay
You don't start applying for the 2011 -12 university intake until September 2010.
Reply 2
hypocriticaljap
You don't start applying for the 2011 -12 university intake until September 2010.

Well, of course that I won´t. I just want to have it sorted as soon as possible. I don´t want to realize that I´m missing whats needed before it´s too late.
let me re write that.
You CAN'T apply before September 2010.
hypocriticaljap
let me re write that.
You CAN'T apply before September 2010.

He's not going to - he just wants to make sure he understands the system before he needs to start to apply.

OP, I've got a bit of an epic reply in the making; hope to be done before too long. :p:
Reply 5
Hmmm... I thought the official deadline for EU students was also on the 22nd January? (I'm terribly confused now, since I'm an EU student myself and had to apply before the 15th January) :confused:
Reply 6
MissLee
Hmmm... I thought the official deadline for EU students was also on the 22nd January? (I'm terribly confused now, since I'm an EU student myself and had to apply before the 15th January) :confused:

Oh, maybe I didn't read it carefully. Then that makes it even worse. May I ask you, since youre from EU, when did you received your results? Or did you had to pass some international qualifications?
MissLee

Deadline is 15th/22nd January, but you can apply late until the 30th June. :smile:
The deadline is the 15th of january for entry in the next year. It was the 22nd due to extreme snowfall this year (well extreme by UK standards, didn't really seem anything special to me). You would apply with predicted grades just the same as everyone else. You do not apply after results.

The deadline is in the 15th of october for Oxbridge/med/dentistry/vetmed.
MJay91
I´m going to apply for UK universities that I chose by the end of 2010 for 2011 / 2012 school year. I read on the ucas website, that the official deadline for applicants is 22 January. However, the official deadline for EU students is 30 June. The problem is, that - as they say - Universities and colleges do not guarantee to consider applications they receive after 15 January 2010, and some popular courses may not have vacancies after that date.

It's a bit of an awkward system, and from what I understand from reading this passage, you haven't quite got it right - got the gist, but not the details. There's actually three deadlines (and, as far as I can tell, they apply for all home students, which UCAS define as UK and EU): first off, you come to the Oxbridge/medicine/dentistry/veterinary medicine/veterinary science deadline, which is the 15th of October. Assuming you don't want to apply to Oxbridge or any of these courses, you can ignore this deadline.

The next one is the deadline for equal consideration, ie, when universities have to look at your application and make a fair decision on your personal merits. This is usually the 15th of January, but this year was changed to the 22nd of January because we had heavy snow in the UK before and, in some parts of the country, across the original deadline which could have unfairly hampered some applicants (can't get to school, referees aren't in, power cuts so you might not be able to physically access a computer...)

After the deadline for equal consideration, you are still able to make an application and send it to universities of your choice; however, they are no longer obliged to consider your application and may not, because they might have filled all of their spaces or just not consider late applicants. If you're doing this, you should contact the universities you're interested and check that they would consider your application, because if they won't you may as well not waste an application. You can submit a late application up to the 30th of June.

After the 30th of June, you can submit an application but it will be automatically entered for Clearing.

Source: http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/applying/whentoapply and http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/importantdates

MJay91
In my college, we are taking our final exams in May and receive results in June. That means, that if I would apply for a university right after I receive my results, there is a big chance that I won´t be accepted, because all courses will be taken. Don´t you know if there´s anything I can do? Like an some qualification exams for international students or something like that? :woo:

If you applied after you received your results in June, I would say that there's a good chance you could a) miss the deadline, depending on when the results come out and b) the courses you want would have filled up. What most UK applicants do when in their final year of education is apply with predicted grades/results, and get conditional offers from the univeristy - essentially, 'if you achieve the following results (for example, ABB at A-level or 300 UCAS points) you can have a place at this university.' They then accept two of these offers, one as a firm and one as an insurance (usually a lower offer than the firm, incase they missed the grades) and the offers become unconditional as appropriate on results day.
Reply 10
AnonymousPenguin
The deadline is the 15th of january for entry in the next year. It was the 22nd due to extreme snowfall this year (well extreme by UK standards, didn't really seem anything special to me). You would apply with predicted grades just the same as everyone else. You do not apply after results.

The deadline is in the 15th of october for Oxbridge/med/dentistry/vetmed.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear! So does that mean, that the university wouldn't mind if I gave them all three ''A Levels'' results predicted?
MJay91
Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear! So does that mean, that the university wouldn't mind if I gave them all three ''A Levels'' results predicted?

Your teachers would predict them for you. :wink:
At least they should.
Reply 12
BeyondandAbove
Deadline is 15th/22nd January, but you can apply late until the 30th June. :smile:

Oh, I didn't even know that, haha! Oops... Thank you, though! :smile:
MJay91

Whatever you're taking there will be a field where your reference enters predicted grades (or the school gives them to you and you enter them if you're not applying through the school). Everybody applies with predicted A-level grades.

I'm also an EU student and I applied last year just with predicted IB grades and I ended up with 2 medicine offers.
Reply 14
TheSownRose
It's a bit of an awkward system, and from what I understand from reading this passage, you haven't quite got it right - got the gist, but not the details. There's actually three deadlines (and they apply for all home students, which UCAS define as UK and EU): first off, you come to the Oxbridge/medicine/dentistry/veterinary medicine/veterinary science deadline, which is the 15th of October. Assuming you don't want to apply to Oxbridge or any of these courses, you can ignore this deadline.

The next one is the deadline for equal consideration, ie, when universities have to look at your application and make a fair decision on your personal merits. This is usually the 15th of January, but this year was changed to the 22nd of January because we had heavy snow in the UK before and, in some parts of the country, across the original deadline which could have unfairly hampered some applicants (can't get to school, referees aren't in, power cuts so you might not be able to physically access a computer...)

After the deadline for equal consideration, you are still able to make an application and send it to universities of your choice; however, they are no longer obliged to consider your application and may not, because they might have filled all of their spaces or just not consider late applicants. If you're doing this, you should contact the universities you're interested and check that they would consider your application, because if they won't you may as well not waste an application. You can submit a late application up to the 30th of June.

After the 30th of June, you can submit an application but it will be automatically entered for Clearing.

If you applied after you received your results in June, I would say that there's a good chance you could a) miss the deadline, depending on when the results come out and b) the courses you want would have filled up. What most UK applicants do when in their final year of education is apply with predicted grades/results, and get conditional offers from the univeristy - essentially, 'if you achieve the following results (for example, ABB at A-level or 300 UCAS points) you can have a place at this university.' They then accept two of these offers, one as a firm and one as an insurance (usually a lower offer than the firm, incase they missed the grades) and the offers become unconditional as appropriate on results day.

SownRose, thank you so much for this excellent overview! You really made it clear to me now. Just one additional question: When do UK students receive their A Levels results? Thanks again! :yes:
MJay91
SownRose, thank you so much for this excellent overview! You really made it clear to me now. Just one additional question: When do UK students receive their A Levels results? Thanks again! :yes:

19th of August this year. It's always like the third Thursday in August or something silly like that.
Reply 16
AnonymousPenguin
19th of August this year. It's always like the third Thursday in August or something silly like that.

Wow! Isn't it rather dreadful to wait so long for the results to come? :s-smilie: I'm glad I only have to wait until the end of June. (My exams start next month.)
MissLee
Wow! Isn't it rather dreadful to wait so long for the results to come? :s-smilie: I'm glad I only have to wait until the end of June. (My exams start next month.)

Yeah it's really late. IB results are the 5-7th of July or sth like that. I don't know why A-levels take so long to be corrected.
MJay91

You're welcome. :smile: A-level results here are usually the third Thursday in August, so the 19th this year, I believe and the 18th next year (by my computer's calendar, anyway. :wink:)

If you get official results in June, you probably wouldn't have to wait until August to get a change to unconditional (although if you did, it's not the end of the world - you'd already know if you'd met it, so if you had it would be unconditional in all but name) but I don't know if it would update automatically for you as an EU student or whether you'd have to personally inform UCAS or your universities.

Latest

Trending

Trending