The Student Room Group

Registered as private candidate a month before the exam. Help!

I just got to know that my school is registering me as a private candidate to the CIE board for exams in May because I paid the exam fees after the school's 'official deadline'.
I am sitting three full A levels as a private candidate now.
So what happens to my UCAS?
I don't remember if I stated the centre number while applying or if we do it after accepting the offers. Only my centre number would change, right?
Please tell me the universities won't withdraw their offers because of this.
:frown:
Reply 1
I honestly have no idea but you could try and phone UCAS directly and see what they say. Also, surely you only pay for re-sits? So your uni will already have an idea of your results and if you'll probably be re-siting, if you intend to meet the offer requirements.
Reply 2
Andrew1991
Also, surely you only pay for re-sits? So your uni will already have an idea of your results and if you'll probably be re-siting, if you intend to meet the offer requirements.

I am not re-sitting. I gave my O Levels in 2008 registered with the school.
Now, i'm giving my A levels but the school is registering me as a private candidate due to the reason mentioned in the first post.
As a CIE candidate from school, my centre number was PK204 which will now probably change to PK200.
I'm not sure if you mention the centre number while applying or while accepting the offer.
I want to know what happens to my UCAS now.
Reply 3
rizwan3
I am not re-sitting. I gave my O Levels in 2008 registered with the school.
Now, i'm giving my A levels but the school is registering me as a private candidate due to the reason mentioned in the first post.
As a CIE candidate from school, my centre number was PK204 which will now probably change to PK200.
I'm not sure if you mention the centre number while applying or while accepting the offer.
I want to know what happens to my UCAS now.

IMO, nothing as you submit your candidate number when applying on UCAS and all candidate numbers are unique to a centre number. But if your centre number does change, your details (name etc) will just be transferred over with it. And, i'm guessing your the only private candidate at your school so your candidate number should stay the same and thus the uni's you have applied for should still be able to get your results.

I know you have to enter your school details when applying through UCAS so you probably have mentioned you centre number. I still think it would be better phoning the UCAS helpline or equivalent number as they know more than people on a forum, see if you need to update your school details.

Also why would the centre number change if you are still sitting the exam through the same school.
Reply 4
No it is fine, it should not affect your application. When your results come through you do need to post them to your uni so they can update UCAS. You might also want to just let them know that you are now sitting as a private candidate. x
Nothing happens to your UCAS. It doesn't matter if you are registered as an internal candidate or a private candidate as long as you are registered. UCAS gets the results from the exam boards regardless of how you are registered :smile:
Reply 6
Andrew1991
IMO, nothing as you submit your candidate number when applying on UCAS and all candidate numbers are unique to a centre number. But if your centre number does change, your details (name etc) will just be transferred over with it. And, i'm guessing your the only private candidate at your school so your candidate number should stay the same and thus the uni's you have applied for should still be able to get your results.

I know you have to enter your school details when applying through UCAS so you probably have mentioned you centre number. I still think it would be better phoning the UCAS helpline or equivalent number as they know more than people on a forum, see if you need to update your school details.

Also why would the centre number change if you are still sitting the exam through the same school.

I did not mention my 'candidate' number for the upcoming exams in my UCAS because i didn't received it at the time of applying. I just stated the centre number(or I guess I did, I can't seem to find it in my application copy in the track) which is same every year.
The candidate numbers are usually given a month before the exams in the 'statement of entry' which now will have a different Centre Name and Centre+Candidate Number than that I would've had if I was registered with the school.

So I assume I still have to email UCAS and all of my universities to tell them my centre has changes and give them the new Centre+Candidate Number.
Reply 7
Nothing happens dude, the universities care about the result not the circumstances
Reply 8
shinygirl
No it is fine, it should not affect your application. When your results come through you do need to post them to your uni so they can update UCAS. You might also want to just let them know that you are now sitting as a private candidate. x

I didn't state my candidate number in UCAS when I applied. I sent it out on 10th December and I was registered to CIE board a few days ago. How do they get my results if they don't have my candidate number? I only mentioned my centre number in the application(and I'm not sure of that either) and it will probably change from PK204 to PK200.
Now, when I get the Centre and Candidate number, do I email it to them or they do get the results directly from the exam board?
I have no idea how it works.
Reply 9
UCAS don't get the results. On results day you call up the university and tell them what you have gotten then send them the certificates as proof. Then they will make the offer you kinda bypass UCAS a little.
Let the universities of your choice know that you have been changed to a private candidate so they dont get confused and think you have sat nothing on results day.
You need to speak with the exams officer at your school too and arrange to pick up the results on results day otherwise they might post them and you would have to wait longer. x

Latest

Trending

Trending