The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
chris-carnage
Been told a hundred different things on how to end a formal email... Someone told me to sign off my application for uni feedback with "Yours sincerely" someone else said that was so wrong and I should have said "Regards".
:confused:
Help..
I'm asking for an application pack for a part-time job, what's the proper way to end the email?

Personally, I'd go with

#########.

Sincerely,

Your Name

// - hash marks indicate the end of the body of the letter

//edit - lots of the big job advertising websites offer sound information, googled and got this link, just one of thousands of useful examples: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/jobappsamples/qt/jobappemail.htm

chris-carnage
Someone told me to sign off my application for uni feedback with "Yours sincerely"

Always felt that sounded a bit luvy-duvy/intimate.. even though it is perfectly acceptable
I always put

Yours,
Adam Smith

or

Sincerely,
Adam Smith
Reply 3
It depends how you opened the letter, who have you addressed it to? x
I always put

#########

Regards,
'name'
I've been sending quite a few of these today and I always end it with 'Kind Regards' and it's never been a problem. Well I guess it probably is as I still have no job.
Reply 6
Thank you for your time reading this

Hope you have a nice day.

Yours,
Adam Peterson III
Dear Blah,

Blah Blah Blah

Many thanks.

Kind Regards

is what I write whenever I send a letter at work or when I was looking for work.

I don't think it really matters, your choices of words were fine.
Reply 8
Thanks :smile: I went with kind regards, I dunno why I find writing emails so stressful...
Reply 9
Good and simple way, effective and smart.

I like it :smile:
If you know the person's name (e.g. opened with Dear Mr Smith), then Yours sincerely, and your name below, or Yours faithfully if you opened Dear Sir/Madam or similar.

Alternatively, I often go with Best regards, :smile: I wouldn't read too much into it because, unless you're emailing Alan Sugar, they probably won't either.
Reply 11
chris-carnage
Thanks :smile: I went with kind regards, I dunno why I find writing emails so stressful...

One more tip - Watch your font. I like Arial or Calibri for E-mail, I'd suggest you go sans serif
Reply 12
"Thanks"
Reply 13
Regards,

-name-

You could go for:

Awaiting your correspondence,

-name-
I usually sign off with 'best wishes' - it's a bit more personal than 'yours sincerely', and more appropriate to an email format :smile:
Panda Bear
I've been sending quite a few of these today and I always end it with 'Kind Regards' and it's never been a problem. Well I guess it probably is as I still have no job.

I'm pretty sure the reason you're not getting jobs has nothing to do with wishing them 'kind regards' :p:
Reply 16
Best regards
Your name
Reply 17
Thanking you,

Yours sincerely,

[Your Name]
Reply 18
For situations requiring the utmost formality I always go:

Thanks babes,
Love you forever.

[My name]
xoxoxoxox
Tefhel
For situations requiring the utmost formality I always go:

Thanks babes,
Love you forever.

[My name]
xoxoxoxox

That's how I ended my UCAS personal statement....

Latest

Trending

Trending