Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Broken Britain

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a typical example of a sensationalised use of emotive language with little relevance to Cameron's party or policies. What the Tories are trying to achieve through practically all their policies (tax cuts for married couples, inheritance tax etc.) is a redistribution of wealth towards the richest minority. He is waging a horrific class war and remains thoroughly detached and indifferent toward what people in Britain want. THAT is what I would call Broken Britain.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    How about a better reason for the neg rep next time

No, it's perfectly good... recourse to endless swearing for effect and telling me to "shut the **** up" ... You can surely do better.

Thanks for errr "sharing the love", most gracious of you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NIGUKAE)
    Britain is not broken, David Cameron is exagerrating to get voters. Its by no means fine but things are blown out of proportion by the media.
    Why is your flag from Nigeria? Do you live in Nigeria or do you live in Britain?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Devvo for PM! He knows that all we really want is wide-screen tellies, eatin' roast pork 'round our nan's on Sunday and a can of kestrel.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    No, it's perfectly good... recourse to endless swearing for effect and telling me to "shut the **** up" ... You can surely do better.
    Fair play, the swearing was silly, but you shouldnt dismiss what otherwise is a valid point just because of two instances of immature language.

I just get annoyed about the fact that someone who appears remotely intelligent like yourself could allow themselves to be brainwashed and then preach to others about the baseless or at least exaggerated state of this nation.

If you think about it, we are a miserable country. We moan about corruption when there is little if any. We moan about crime when in comparison to other countries in our present state there is little. Maybe its because people interpret change as a bad thing or maybe its because everyone believes the exaggerated crap the Newspapers use to sell papers, but everyone thinks our country is worse then it actually is.

That Aelous guy summed it up earlier. Like he said, where are the riots and widespread social unrest in our apparently broken society? I see no evidence for a damaged country, rather the grumblings and gullibility of the people.

Once again I apologize for swearing, I just feel passionately about my country and get irritated by those who necessarily criticize it.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Britain is not broken.

It's a cheap, cynical election tactic.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Fair play, the swearing was silly, but you shouldnt dismiss what otherwise is a valid point just because of two instances of immature language.

I just get annoyed about the fact that someone who appears remotely intelligent like yourself could allow themselves to be brainwashed and then preach to others about the baseless or at least exaggerated state of this nation.

If you think about it, we are a miserable country. We moan about corruption when there is little if any. We moan about crime when in comparison to other countries in our present state there is little. Maybe its because people interpret change as a bad thing or maybe its because everyone believes the exaggerated crap the Newspapers use to sell papers, but everyone thinks our country is worse then it actually is.

That Aelous guy summed it up earlier. Like he said, where are the riots and widespread social unrest in our apparently broken society? I see no evidence for a damaged country, rather the grumblings and gullibility of the people.

Once again I apologize for swearing, I just feel passionately about my country and get irritated by those who necessarily criticize it.
    Sure, I will very occasionally swear on here to make strong point on here, but never directly at someone, more is achieved if everyone is civil.

And now you have just accused me of being brainwashed???

I don't make my points lightly, nor are they based on trashy headlines, I read a lot and think about things and discuss things with my friends and acquaintance (including those whom I disagree with)

I genuinely believe what I said and have come to those conclusions, they are not the result of "brainwashing".

When you say you feel passionate I'm not quite sure what you mean?

That you're a patriot?

Is the idea here that I have "offended" you?

I don't say those things because I don't care about this country, but precisely because I do care about it.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Of course it's broken, to say the opposite is ignorant.
    Of course it's not broken, to say the opposite is ignorant.

Quite easy to merely make a statement like that, quite another to prove it (presumably the reason why you gave no reason for why its broken).

If you believe Britain is broken (anyone) - please say why. Invariably they are stupid, petty reasons that make virtually no difference to most people (or completely unrealistic expectations like "everyone should pay less tax and get far more back). Britain is no worse than it has been over the years, and is better that it was in many periods. Or has the country always been broken?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    He's just stressing on fears we already have through seeing what's around us, media reportings, etc. Of course, whether or not the Tories being in power will actually make a difference remains to be seen, but he's tapping into our fears in order for us to vote them in for a 'change.' We're just going round in circles really.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We are not frickin' Somalia, for crying out loud.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I will very occasionally swear on here to make strong point on here, but never directly at someone, more is achieved if everyone is civil.

And now you have just accused me of being brainwashed???

I don't make my points lightly, nor are they based on trashy headlines, I read a lot and think about things and discuss things with my friends and acquaintance (including those whom I disagree with)

I genuinely believe what I said and have come to those conclusions, they are not the result of "brainwashing".

When you say you feel passionate I'm not quite sure what you mean?

That you're a patriot?

Is the idea here that I have "offended" you?

I don't say those things because I don't care about this country, but precisely because I do care about it.
    Not really. Im not going to lie, I used to have exactly the same opinions. I thought this country was in a terrible state, I thought Labour were evil. It was when I started reading that I questioned why I believed these things previously. With the Daily Mail having such predominance in my family, I can now understand why. That is why I generally assume that people who think like that are conforming to those beliefs due to what they read daily other then their own actual experience.

I am aware of other peoples opinions, but I dont think something that totally isnt true such as "Britain is Broken" is opinion rather then just false and misinformed. Saying something like "houses have feelings" is not subjective and neither is the state of britain.

Surely to call Britain broken you are benchmarking it to something. Now whether this be the "glory days" of the British Empire where a third of the population lived in poverty or other countries in Europe, which unbeknown to many, have their own problems. I lived my first 15 years of my life thinking everything around me was broken and corrupt and its only in the past 3 years I have figured otherwise. That is why I get so angry when I see that people think like this.

I realize all this is wasted as you have your own perspective as to that state of Britain but I thought I would explain. Many would not class me as a patriot because I dont hate immigration as much as everyone else, but I am nonetheless proud of my country.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Byllie)
    Why is your flag from Nigeria? Do you live in Nigeria or do you live in Britain?
    I live in Britain. Is there a problem?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 46664)
    David Cameron has used this phrase a lot. I agree we have gone through some difficult time but I do not think it is broken.

Do you agree/disagree? and Why?
    Britain is not broken, merely bruised.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends where you live. Most of the people on TSR live in middle class areas, where they never see anti-social behaviour. However, in some areas down here it seems pretty broken to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Britain isn't broken, no. It's a cheap tactic to rake in the Daily Mail readers. (It certainly worked with my dad..)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by green_penguin)
    This is a typical example of a sensationalised use of emotive language with little relevance to Cameron's party or policies. What the Tories are trying to achieve through practically all their policies (tax cuts for married couples, inheritance tax etc.) is a redistribution of wealth towards the richest minority. He is waging a horrific class war and remains thoroughly detached and indifferent toward what people in Britain want. THAT is what I would call Broken Britain.
    Yeah, because everyone who is married is rich.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    :rolleyes: According to the conservative right wing of every generation their society was broken or not as good as the last one. Or morally repungent. As always with these claims however. The reality is somewhat different.
    I am not sure if it is a "right wing" card, per se, although I know Thatcher used it.

I see it as political tool to sound dramatic and any party can use it, it implies there is a problem that they know of, and can fix it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I am not sure if it is a "right wing" card, per se, although I know Thatcher used it.

I see it as political tool to sound dramatic and any party can use it, it implies there is a problem that they know of, and can fix it.

I agree. Plus it is certainly not something new. It's a term which has been used from Cato to Cameron. I think it is possible to find this sentimental nostalgia for a mythical golden age in every single generation gone before us.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    I agree. Plus it is certainly not something new. It's a term which has been used from Cato to Cameron. I think it is possible to find this sentimental nostalgia for a mythical golden age in every single generation gone before us.
    Politically, how do you characterise yourself, where do you think you fit in?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is broken, Cameron is tapping into the public feeling. Anyone with a pair of eyes can see that this society is in deep trouble and that people are very worried, that they feel betrayed and let down by the people they thought they could trust but in fact cannot, and who they thought represented them. The only thing Cameron doesn't quite get is that he is part of the problem not the cure, that he refuses to talk about or address the things that actually matter to people.

This society is in deep trouble, economically, socially, culturally, and politically. And if current trends continue it will continue to decline.
    I would argue that in fact, statistically, the "current trend" suggests that we're pulling out of recession. The government has little to do with social situation (unless you mean social fluidity as in class, in which case suggesting the Tories would do anything more than Labour is hilarious.) Culturally, I don't understand what you mean, the culture of a place evolves as time goes on, and unless you're a BNP member, I don't think anyone really minds that evolution. Politically, it really does depend what you mean.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2010
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.