The Student Room Group

At what age did you start paying for an adult bus fare?

Scroll to see replies

CherryCherryBoomBoom
Where you from? I get on the bus free :awesome: , cos in London all people under 18 and in full time education have free bus travel. It probably ends this year though :frown:. But yeah, I think it'll be different in different areas.

:eek: That's quite amazing.

I love more than 3 miles away from my school (moved) therefore I'm entitled to a free bus pass :smile:
Reply 21
16 although the bus drivers kept trying to charge me for adult fare when I was 14/15 :colonhash:
Reply 22
Krakatoa
:ditto:
I will still use it when back from uni until they confiscate it,like the last one I had.
Finger over the expiry date is a timeless move I intend to uphold.

:rofl: So true! But then you get the nobs who actually look at the date :rant:
My sister uses mine when she's back from uni :mmm: Don't even look anything alike.
In Brighton, you get half fare until you're 14, then you pay adult fare... UNLESS you have a Bus ID, which entitles you to half fare until the end of the October after your 18th birthday! My birthday is 31st October, so I get it until I'm 19 :wink:

When I first started getting the bus on my own it was only 30p at weekends half fare... now it's 50p at weekends and 90p on weekdays!
Reply 24
Im 18 and still get away with child fare :smile: Ive only been asked to pay adult once or twice :P
LouisVuitton43
sammmeee :biggrin:

however they always look and ask how old i am.

im like, im STILL 15 :biggrin:

i dont even get asked... its kinda depressing but meh saves me money and i have ID so i can still go out so its win win all round :smile:
I started 16... and that's when I'm supposed to start paying adult bus fare as well :smile:
Reply 27
I don't yet. I have an explore card, which gives me discounted bus fares and passes. 70p one way for the win and £21.50 a month for unlimited bus trips :smile:

The normal fare is £1.80 one way :frown: and £48 a month for unlimited. Ouch.
I'll cry when my card runs out next year.
Reply 28
40p up until 18 if you have a pass.. if not, you're screwed, a return here is £4.30 D:
I'm 18 and i get a childs fare.
I guess it's pretty bad, but it's half the price!!
I've never been asked to prove my age yet..
samanthaaaa
:eek: That's quite amazing.

I love more than 3 miles away from my school (moved) therefore I'm entitled to a free bus pass :smile:

I know. The only time I paid was from age 12 to 13 (since it used to be only free for under 11s about 5 years ago) and then it was free again for me when they changed it :awesome: . We have to use oyster photocards cards to prove our age and entitlement though.
Reply 31
Back when I was in my emo phase I got asked if I was in college when I was 13...

I still get on for 80p single fare with my college pass (normal fare from home to college is about £3.50, add on another pound to get to Manchester city centre), though it's only valid on weekdays in term-time :sigh:
Never, i prefer to travel in style!
Reply 33
ChilliBonbon
I live in Nottingham. :frown: Bus fares are unfair...

Same kind of area and same prices. Just under £5 for me to get to college (city centre) and back. Gah! ITS A TWENTY MINUTE JOURNEY, MAX!
Reply 34
16, I'm just too much of good girl :proud:
Don't really know how prices fare up round here compared to elsewhere though.. £5.80 for a return to Norwich (1hr journey).
I started at age 16 :s-smilie:
Reply 36
Smeh
:rofl: So true! But then you get the nobs who actually look at the date :rant:
My sister uses mine when she's back from uni :mmm: Don't even look anything alike.

:p: Arriva bus drivers are savercard nazis,the worst of the worst.
RIP my 08-09 one which was painfully taken away by a noob who looked at the date.:mad:
I intend to use my younger brothers when back,regardless of a two year difference and no real resemblance.
Adult bus fares are something I am not prepared to succumb to.ever.
Reply 37
I must've been like 13 or 14... Which is very odd, I'm short and young looking for my age. Methinks they were money-grabbing - y'know, that extra 40p each time...

Only, a few months ago I got on the bus, offered out the exact fare to where I wanted and he took half of it and gave me a child's ticket. :s-smilie:
Reply 38
Was supposed to start at 15, but it's double the price so i'm gonna pay childs until my moustache becomes more prominent. I'm 17.
Rawr.ox
I must've been like 13 or 14... Which is very odd, I'm short and young looking for my age. Methinks they were money-grabbing - y'know, that extra 40p each time...

Only, a few months ago I got on the bus, offered out the exact fare to where I wanted and he took half of it and gave me a child's ticket. :s-smilie:

I think you'd qualify as an under 14 till you're about 26! fool

Quick Reply

Latest