The Student Room Group

Medicine in UCAS Extra

Anyone else notice that there are Medicine courses in UCAS Extra?

Places are still available at:

Brighton and Sussex
Hull York
Peninsula
Queens University Belfast

The only downside for applicants is that you have to be an international student to apply (they're closed to home / EU applicants):p:

I wonder if any rejected students will ask to change their fee status? Many people have dual citizenship and ties outside the EU. There might be some desperate applicants with deep pockets :wink:

(PS There are other A100 medicine courses listed in Extra but they are closed to all new applicants - universities are obviously waiting for people to decide on their offers)

Scroll to see replies

OrmondDrone
Anyone else notice that there are Medicine courses in UCAS Extra?

Places are still available at:

Brighton and Sussex
Hull York
Peninsula
Queens University Belfast

The only downside for applicants is that you have to be an international student to apply (they're closed to home / EU applicants):p:

I wonder if any rejected students will ask to change their fee status? Many people have dual citizenship and ties outside the EU. There might be some desperate applicants with deep pockets :wink:

(PS There are other A100 medicine courses listed in Extra but they are closed to all new applicants - universities are obviously waiting for people to decide on their offers)

You can't. A student is defined home or international by law and the fee status is mutually exclusive (as in you can't qualify for both). This depends basically whether or not they have "settled" status in the UK AND have lived in the UK for three years prior to the date the course starts.
Reply 2
Hydromancer
You can't. A student is defined home or international by law and the fee status is mutually exclusive (as in you can't qualify for both). This depends basically whether or not they have "settled" status in the UK AND have lived in the UK for three years prior to the date the course starts.

Do you think the university would check? If a student said they clicked the wrong box and were actually only resident in the UK for educational purposes they might get away with it.

I know on newmediamedicine there was a discussion between two US students where one said he'd used a UK address to apply and had a UK passport though had never actually lived in the UK - he said he was assessed as a home student. May be BS but hard to know.
Reply 3
Would anyone choose to pay that much money for 5 years rather than take a gap year?

It'd be ridiculous.
OrmondDrone
Do you think the university would check? If a student said they clicked the wrong box and were actually only resident in the UK for educational purposes they might get away with it.

I know on newmediamedicine there was a discussion between two US students where one said he'd used a UK address to apply and had a UK passport though had never actually lived in the UK - he said he was assessed as a home student. May be BS but hard to know.

I only recently qualified as a "home" student and I was asked for a fee assessment by the unis I applied to...obviously that is based on my experience of the system. I reckon they will check as they'll see where you're references are from, where you've done your schooling/further education etc. and if you got found out later there might be "consequences". I mean the whole thing with "fitness to practice" and probity etc.
Reply 5
lekky
Would anyone choose to pay that much money for 5 years rather than take a gap year?

It'd be ridiculous.

Possibly - if they didn't feel that they were the most competitive applicant. The places still with international places still available at this late stage may not attract many international applicants and might possibly be more flexible with the entrance requirements. Even at international fees the courses are still cheaper than a medical degree at St Georges University Grenada...
Reply 6
Is it even legal to discriminate on international or home it's just the same as discriminating between and English person and say a Brazillian for a job application which I'm pretty sure is illegal
BSMS? Seriously? That's funny, considering it's probably the most oversubscribed med school in the country (maybe just behind Bristol).
Reply 8
There are places for international students only, this means they have filled their intake for home students.

Plus international students GAG for prestige.

People remember, they places they have for international students are separate to those they have for home students.
Reply 9
vas876
There are places for international students only, this means they have filled their intake for home students.

People remember, they places they have for international students are separate to those they have for home students.

I'm pretty sure my OP covered all that :yes:
OrmondDrone
I'm pretty sure my OP covered all that :yes:

:yep:

But you made it sound like they could be equated to home places.
Reply 11
vas876
:yep:

But you made it sound like they could be equated to home places.

I was speculating whether someone who had previously declared themselves to be a home student could persuade the university to accept them as an international student, paying international student fees - should they be desperate enough for a place and had cash to burn. I think its unlikely, but someone PMd me earlier saying they knew someone who had done exactly this for a place to read economics at the LSE so who knows :dontknow:
Hmmm. Interesting idea.
Maybe I should try and change my fee status? Afterall...I'm UK atm, but I'm also Canadian. :P
And BSMS is pretty damn good...
Tbh, someone actually did suggest this to me as a viable option: "Oh, aren't you Canadian? Why don't you try and apply as an overseas student, they'll want the money and maybe they'd give you a place then..."

Nah. I think there are people who would change their status, and I may even know some who would do it. Personally, I've received offers from strong Canadian universities, so I'll stick to them instead.
Also, there's something about it that just smacks of trying to pay your way in, and that goes very strongly against my personal principles. *shrug
Accidentallylost
Hmmm. Interesting idea.
Maybe I should try and change my fee status? Afterall...I'm UK atm, but I'm also Canadian. :P
And BSMS is pretty damn good...
Tbh, someone actually did suggest this to me as a viable option: "Oh, aren't you Canadian? Why don't you try and apply as an overseas student, they'll want the money and maybe they'd give you a place then..."

Nah. I think there are people who would change their status, and I may even know some who would do it. Personally, I've received offers from strong Canadian universities, so I'll stick to them instead.
Also, there's something about it that just smacks of trying to pay your way in, and that goes very strongly against my personal principles. *shrug

@your sig: I don't know why your school won't allow you to take History at HL - I could easily sit 4 HL exams.
AnonymousPenguin

@your sig: I don't know why your school won't allow you to take History at HL - I could easily sit 4 HL exams.

I am sitting 4 HL exams - English, French, Chemistry and Biology. I just realised that it looks like I'm doing Chem SL in my sig, my bad. :s-smilie:

Taking 4 HL isn't the problem, but being allowed to take 5 is, on the other hand. I'd have had to put in an appeal to the IBO and I didn't do it in time. Oh well.
vas876

Plus international students GAG for prestige.

I'm pretty sure that there is no international student quota; that is to say, home places could not be taken by international students, but international places could in theory be taken by home students.
Phalanges
I'm pretty sure that there is no international student quota; that is to say, home places could not be taken by international students, but international places could in theory be taken by home students.

But surely the Home/EU places are partially-funded by the Govnt, and International are self funded.

So in theory the number of places available are dependant on the budget received by the govt.

Surely?
vas876
But surely the Home/EU places are partially-funded by the Govnt, and International are self funded.

So in theory the number of places available are dependant on the budget received by the govt.

Surely?

I don't see how those numbers work though. There's the infamous saying that each medical student costs £250k to train, and international students do not pay £50k a year to study here (from a quick look at one medical school it seemed to work out at ~£20k).

So I would guess that international students must surely receive some kind of funding from somewhere, be it governmental or university.
Phalanges
I don't see how those numbers work though. There's the infamous saying that each medical student costs £250k to train, and international students do not pay £50k a year to study here (from a quick look at one medical school it seemed to work out at ~£20k).

So I would guess that international students must surely receive some kind of funding from somewhere, be it governmental or university.

I reckon that international places are partly government funded as well...just not as completely subsidised as home places as the international fee seems to be a ~£105k over the whole 5-year period compared to ~£15k for the home students.
Hydromancer
I reckon that international places are partly government funded as well...just not as completely subsidised as home places as the international fee seems to be a ~£105k over the whole 5-year period compared to ~£15k for the home students.

Before you read my reply I would like to say I'm rather drunk and not up to my usual high standard of thought out replies.

Is the normal hone rate not more or less 4x3k being £12,000?

Latest