The Student Room Group

What subjects for Dentistry?

Hello,

I am planning to reapply to do dentistry this year, but one of the reasons I never got in first time round was because I got a C in higher biology.

I would like to re-take higher biology or perhaps even advanced higher biology at a college to hopefully improve my chances.

Bearing in mind that when I actually took my highers I didn't know HOW to study properly (I thought copying notes was the way forwards :rolleyes:), would i be feasable for me to take advanced higher considering I only got a C at higher? Also I haven't studied any proper science subjects in 5 years, so I might have trouble getting back into it...

And also, is human biology better for dentistry or is it about the same as normal biology?

Thanks in advance for any advice :smile:
Reply 1
You can take AH Biology but I would say you will struggle if you've not studied Biology for five years. I doubt they care whether its human or just normal biology but it might be worth emailing the dentistry departments.

I would also take AH Chemistry and another AH so you can apply to english unis since there are only 2 scottish unis which offer dentistry.
Reply 2
Thanks for the information. Yeah, I was a bit worried about going back after 5 years, but thought that perhaps the unis wouldn't like higher since it's a resit. Hmmm.

As usual it comes down to emailing the universities! Stupid having to email people I don't know...

I already have advanced higher physics and chemistry although I'm sure I only got C's for both, which is why I know I really need to improve on something to have a chance at all.
Reply 3
I am going to be truthful here and realistic so please dont get pissed of or even feel demotivated as contradicting as that sounds. Go for the application, however if you are struggling with Biology how would you ever be able to cope with Dentistry. It involves chemistry also of which you only have a C for.. The competition is very high and if ugo back to college to study you need to get the grades of proof before you apply.. And you will need straight A's to prove your worthiness....
I can help you out here but please let me know your age and all your grades from 4th to 6th year and exaclty what you are doing now?
Reply 4
amzi247
I am going to be truthful here and realistic so please dont get pissed of or even feel demotivated as contradicting as that sounds. Go for the application, however if you are struggling with Biology how would you ever be able to cope with Dentistry. It involves chemistry also of which you only have a C for.. The competition is very high and if ugo back to college to study you need to get the grades of proof before you apply.. And you will need straight A's to prove your worthiness....
I can help you out here but please let me know your age and all your grades from 4th to 6th year and exaclty what you are doing now?

Hah, no worries, I know it's a long shot, but it is what I have wanted to do since I was 13 so I have decided to give it another go.

Standard Grades:
1s in Maths, Physics, Graphics and History
2s in Chemistry, English, Music and French

Higher:
As in Maths, Physics, Graphics, Product Design
B in English
C in Biology

Advanced Highers:
B in Graphics
Cs in Physics and Chemistry.

I also have a National Certificate for dental nursing.

Uni grades (Bachelor of Technological Education - always my second choice)

As in 12 subjects
Bs in 5 subjects
Cs in 4 subjects
D in 1 subject.

I saw that Dundee accept post grad with a 1st class honours, but I doubt I'll be getting that as the D was for half of my education mark this year! Was totally on track for a first before then. Fuuuuuck.

Ps; I appreciate your honesty!
College compensate for people who haven't studied the norm subjects for a while, and it's a total different learning experience compared to school so the schoolies don't know much about that. :biggrin:

I'd say go for it. Higher Human Biology is very interesting and you really do learn about the human body, but I'd say go for AH Bio if you can.
Reply 6
Hello Laura!
Hah, no worries, I know it's a long shot, but it is what I have wanted to do since I was 13 so I have decided to give it another go.

Standard Grades:
1s in Maths, Physics, Graphics and History
2s in Chemistry, English, Music and French

Higher:
As in Maths, Physics, Graphics, Product Design
B in English
C in Biology

Advanced Highers:
B in Graphics
Cs in Physics and Chemistry.

I also have a National Certificate for dental nursing.

Uni grades (Bachelor of Technological Education - always my second choice)

As in 12 subjects
Bs in 5 subjects
Cs in 4 subjects
D in 1 subject.

I saw that Dundee accept post grad with a 1st class honours, but I doubt I'll be getting that as the D was for half of my education mark this year! Was totally on track for a first before then. Fuuuuuck.

Ps; I appreciate your honesty!

If anything to go by you have done well through high school so you should be proud of yourself. Just some of the subjects you have chosen are not quite relevant to dentistry. Having said that you will need a minimum of an upper second class in your current degree. If you can get that degree classification then you can apply. If its lower than 2:1 then you will have to go back to college and study advanced highers. They would have to be rigurous ones though like
adv maths,chem and bio for example and you would expect a condition of AAB .... It is very competitive and i Feel your motivation. Nothing is impossible provided you work your hardest. Forget emailing the admissions offices, just call them up and get the answers u need instantly and then get them to confirm whjat they have said through email so you are sure of what u are doing! Hope this helps ...
Reply 7
Bipolar Dipole
College compensate for people who haven't studied the norm subjects for a while, and it's a total different learning experience compared to school so the schoolies don't know much about that. :biggrin:

I'd say go for it. Higher Human Biology is very interesting and you really do learn about the human body, but I'd say go for AH Bio if you can.

Yeah, the dental nursing course I did was at college and they made it really easy to get back into learning sciencey stuff (although it was fairly simple anyway).

I'm hoping that some college near me does it as an evening class.

Thanks for your input. + rep for you tomorrow (or really late tonight seems likely too!)
Reply 8
Hello Laura!
Yeah, the dental nursing course I did was at college and they made it really easy to get back into learning sciencey stuff (although it was fairly simple anyway).

I'm hoping that some college near me does it as an evening class.

Thanks for your input. + rep for you tomorrow (or really late tonight seems likely too!)

Yeah, school is totally different from college in that sense. What colleges are you looking at? I might be able to help.

(It's BD btw) :smile:
Reply 9
LuhLah
Yeah, school is totally different from college in that sense. What colleges are you looking at? I might be able to help.

(It's BD btw) :smile:

What is BD?

I've really only been looking at colleges in Ayrshire so far and also Reid Kerr College in Paisley because that's where I did my night class. Most places don't do advanced highers or biology at all.

I'd really be prepared to go anywhere in East Renfrewshire, East Dumbartonshire, Glasgow or Ayrshire though.
Reply 10
Hello Laura!
What is BD?

I've really only been looking at colleges in Ayrshire so far and also Reid Kerr College in Paisley because that's where I did my night class. Most places don't do advanced highers or biology at all.

I'd really be prepared to go anywhere in East Renfrewshire, East Dumbartonshire, Glasgow or Ayrshire though.

Bipolar Dipole, lol.

I'm at Ayr College, and they do Higher Human Biology as a nightclass if that's any help :dontknow:
LuhLah
Bipolar Dipole, lol.

I'm at Ayr College, and they do Higher Human Biology as a nightclass if that's any help :dontknow:

As an evening course and everything! I was on their website earlier and I totally did not see that at all.

Thanks very much LuhLah. In two days you will get a +rep!
Hold on, when you were saying it's BD, did you mean you were using LuhLah's account? Not that it matters, they are getting + rep too, just because.
Hello Laura!
Hold on, when you were saying it's BD, did you mean you were using LuhLah's account? Not that it matters, they are getting + rep too, just because.

LuhLah and BD are the same people, but the LuhLah account is her main one. She got a temp ban to help stay off tsr and study etc. but ended up making another account, the BD one. :p:
rosie9391
LuhLah and BD are the same people, but the LuhLah account is her main one. She got a temp ban to help stay off tsr and study etc. but ended up making another account, the BD one. :p:

Hahaha, that is totally something I would do... :biggrin:
Reply 15
What she said :p:
Reply 16
Hello Laura!
As an evening course and everything! I was on their website earlier and I totally did not see that at all.

Thanks very much LuhLah. In two days you will get a +rep!

They do Higher Maths too, and things like psychology, history etc. if you're looking for any more highers :smile:
LuhLah
They do Higher Maths too, and things like psychology, history etc. if you're looking for any more highers :smile:

That's great, thank you so much!

I think I'll only be sitting the one if it's this year, but possibly more if it's next year. I will have a full time job this year so I think one would be more than enough...

Latest

Trending

Trending