The Student Room Group

Bad Experience stories

I've just got back from the peak distict after one of the most pathetic easters of my life. I stayed with a 70ish year oldfarmer and his wife in order to help them lamb their 100 texel and mule ewes, they gave me a room and fed me; promised to give me a day on their attatched dairy farm, a day at chatsworth house lambing (he had some contacts there) and to pay me well for my work and cover travel costs, needless to say i jumped at the chance and was very grateful.

When I got there i was made fairly welcome and had explained that i had never really handled sheep before, but i was willing to learn and confident around any animals.

Things started to go sour when we were rounding sheep up and one butted me in the chest, winded me and consequently some sheep got past me. He shouted and swore at me. Things went downhill from there, I don't like eggs and when they had some friends around the wife made a huge scene about the starter as it contained eggs, this was in front of the people and frankly embarrasing, they did a similar thing when i told them that i had lost 3 stone last year, they told all their friends and family and claimed that i must have been a monster.

One set of twins were tangled together and he asked me to tie string around the lambs legs to pull it out easily, but his hand was in the way and i tied it wrongly in the wrong place, to which he claimed "for christ's sake it's so ******* simple". Everytime something went wrong he blamed me and swore at me calling me some of the worst things imaginable:frown:

The dairy experience never came, neither did the day at Chatsworth exp. The actual lambing didn't kick off either, 60 ewes lambed, i got to assist 3 of them, the rest i pinned down while he lambed them and the rest of the time i was feeding, watering and bedding down the ewes:mad: . He gave me an envelope when my mum came to pick me up and i didn't open it until i got home, there was £50 in it for 11 days hard work, this also was given to cover my travel expenses (over £35).

Needless to say i am extremely ****** off and it has actually put me off farm animal practice as i would have to deal with people like him:frown:

Just wandering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them or if they have any other experiences they would like to share? Just be nice to know that i am not the only one:o:
hey im really sorry thats happened, thats rubbish :-( but please dont let it put you off. Yes, if you go into farm animal practice you will have to deal with idiots like him, but you'll have to in any job you go into eventually. At least when you're the vet you'll be in a position of a bit more power and would never be expected to be treated like that. Its horrible that you go to these places to learn because you're really interested and other narrow minded people can just ruin it for you. But keep at it! Im pretty impressed you managed to last it! Ive never been lambing or anything so dont have a bad experience, but there have definitely been people telling stories like this on here before, so you're not the only one, i promise! At least you can put it on your work experience now, even if it didnt live up to expectations :-) well done for doing it though!
Reply 2
Aw love, thats just really unlucky, I'm really sorry. I worked with a psycho SA vet once, who would swear and he almost put me off. Don't worry, farmers like him are in the minority, most of the people I know had a great time lambing. It's a shame that you didn't get the experience you should have done, but try and brush it off as much as you can.

Learning to deal with arsey people is a good skill to have at the end of the day, and it's better to become desensitized to them and learn to 'deal', it will only make you a better vet.
jpw92
Things went downhill from there, I don't like eggs and when they had some friends around the wife made a huge scene about the starter as it contained eggs, this was in front of the people and frankly embarrasing

You're in their house and sitting at their dinner table - a lot of people would probably call it rude. Unless you phoned up in advance before the placement with details about dietary allergies/intolerances/issues or helped out on the cooking front you haven't really got any comeback.

We were explicitly forewarned to help out around the house (eg; with cooking, with washing, etc) and perhaps eat/do things we weren't sure about just to keep everyone happy (within reason).

Things started to go sour when we were rounding sheep up and one butted me in the chest, winded me and consequently some sheep got past me. He shouted and swore at me.

One set of twins were tangled together and he asked me to tie string around the lambs legs to pull it out easily, but his hand was in the way and i tied it wrongly in the wrong place, to which he claimed "for christ's sake it's so ******* simple". Everytime something went wrong he blamed me and swore at me calling me some of the worst things imaginable:frown:

It is a very stressful time of year. If you make a mistake (or even if you didn't) it is best to apologise and work doubly as hard to make up for it.

I've had stockmen shout and swear at me before, sometimes it was due, and sometimes it wasn't but I apologised, I put my head down and continued working. At the end of one 'bad' placement I got an excellent reference and the stockman even apologised to me saying that it was an extremely stressful time of year and that I was welcome back any time.

You've got to have a thick skin and you've got to be able to work in challenging environments.

The actual lambing didn't kick off either, 60 ewes lambed, i got to assist 3 of them, the rest i pinned down while he lambed them and the rest of the time i was feeding, watering and bedding down the ewes:mad: .

It's a small flock, depending on the breed, the system and how well they're looked after it isn't surprising that you didn't see much action.

On a lot of your work experience placements you're not going to have much contact with animals, a lot of it is going to be centred around bedding down, feeding, cleaning, etc - even into vet school.

He gave me an envelope when my mum came to pick me up and i didn't open it until i got home, there was £50 in it for 11 days hard work, this also was given to cover my travel expenses (over £35).

You were lucky to be paid at all.

He didn't have to take you on for work experience, he didn't have to put you up, he didn't have to feed and look after you and he didn't have to pay you. The vast majority of sheep farmers can't pay students properly even if they wanted to, and given that it was a small flock that almost certainly was a contributing factor.

In my year some of the students didn't get paid at all - that was for 3 weeks work, sometimes doing night shifts and often on much larger flocks than yours. The vast majority were paid a nominal sum (eg; £50-100) and/or were paid in kind (eg; sheepskins, lamb, etc).

It's part of the journey. Out of all of my placements, before and during vet school, I've only been paid once. I've been on placements where I have literally spent £100+ on petrol over the course of 1-2 weeks and I haven't been paid a single penny. I needed the experience, they were willing to give it and I got an excellent reference at the end of it. Beggars can't be choosers.

Needless to say i am extremely ****** off and it has actually put me off farm animal practice as i would have to deal with people like him:frown:

If you are to become a successful vet you're going to have to sort out your attitude - you've got to become a damn sight more tolerant and understanding.
Charming
Reply 5
ch0c0h01ic
You're in their house and sitting at their dinner table - a lot of people would probably call it rude. Unless you phoned up in advance before the placement with details about dietary allergies/intolerances/issues or helped out on the cooking front you haven't really got any comeback.

We were explicitly forewarned to help out around the house (eg; with cooking, with washing, etc) and perhaps eat/do things we weren't sure about just to keep everyone happy (within reason).

It is a very stressful time of year. If you make a mistake (or even if you didn't) it is best to apologise and work doubly as hard to make up for it.

I've had stockmen shout and swear at me before, sometimes it was due, and sometimes it wasn't but I apologised, I put my head down and continued working. At the end of one 'bad' placement I got an excellent reference and the stockman even apologised to me saying that it was an extremely stressful time of year and that I was welcome back any time.

You've got to have a thick skin and you've got to be able to work in challenging environments.

It's a small flock, depending on the breed, the system and how well they're looked after it isn't surprising that you didn't see much action.

On a lot of your work experience placements you're not going to have much contact with animals, a lot of it is going to be centred around bedding down, feeding, cleaning, etc - even into vet school.

You were lucky to be paid at all.

He didn't have to take you on for work experience, he didn't have to put you up, he didn't have to feed and look after you and he didn't have to pay you. The vast majority of sheep farmers can't pay students properly even if they wanted to, and given that it was a small flock that almost certainly was a contributing factor.

In my year some of the students didn't get paid at all - that was for 3 weeks work, sometimes doing night shifts and often on much larger flocks than yours. The vast majority were paid a nominal sum (eg; £50-100) and/or were paid in kind (eg; sheepskins, lamb, etc).

It's part of the journey. Out of all of my placements, before and during vet school, I've only been paid once. I've been on placements where I have literally spent £100+ on petrol over the course of 1-2 weeks and I haven't been paid a single penny. I needed the experience, they were willing to give it and I got an excellent reference at the end of it. Beggars can't be choosers.

If you are to become a successful vet you're going to have to sort out your attitude - you've got to become a damn sight more tolerant and understanding.

I see what you're saying RE the fact that beggars cannot be choosers, and that the OP did at least get paid and get put up, but there has to be some give and take here. It doesn't matter if you're on work experience, a non-contract job or a paid-up employee- allowing people to shout and swear and blame you for things outwith your control or something you could not have reasonably known how to do, regardless of the profession you are in, is quite simply not on. A lot of what you say is fair, and people need to be thick-skinned to get places in any job, but at the end of the day you're still dealing with kids at school who are novices and looking to find their way in whatever they want to do with the rest of their lives. Being put down, sworn at, talked about, blamed and generally made to feel two inches tall is not part of that- whether it's a placement on a farm or in a library. Just because it's happened to you and you got on with it does not mean that everyone else should be excluded from sympathy as a result. Everyone doesn't react the same way to the same situations- for some it's a daunting experience to move in with a stranger for two weeks, especially when their future career could ride on it. Some people need to be told to get on with it, some need encouraging, some need to be told they're the best thing since sliced bread and helped to feel good about themselves, otherwise those that think it's alright to shout and bawl at kids for not being at their level will drive otherwise good people out of the profession. Your response smacks more than a little of insensitivity to me.
0404343m
I see what you're saying RE the fact that beggars cannot be choosers, and that the OP did at least get paid and get put up, but there has to be some give and take here. It doesn't matter if you're on work experience, a non-contract job or a paid-up employee- allowing people to shout and swear and blame you for things outwith your control or something you could not have reasonably known how to do, regardless of the profession you are in, is quite simply not on. A lot of what you say is fair, and people need to be thick-skinned to get places in any job, but at the end of the day you're still dealing with kids at school who are novices and looking to find their way in whatever they want to do with the rest of their lives. Being put down, sworn at, talked about, blamed and generally made to feel two inches tall is not part of that- whether it's a placement on a farm or in a library. Just because it's happened to you and you got on with it does not mean that everyone else should be excluded from sympathy as a result. Everyone doesn't react the same way to the same situations- for some it's a daunting experience to move in with a stranger for two weeks, especially when their future career could ride on it. Some people need to be told to get on with it, some need encouraging, some need to be told they're the best thing since sliced bread and helped to feel good about themselves, otherwise those that think it's alright to shout and bawl at kids for not being at their level will drive otherwise good people out of the profession. Your response smacks more than a little of insensitivity to me.

As I said earlier, lambing and calving is an incredibly stressful time of year, throw in some sleep deprivation and even the most well intentioned people can crack. As you said yourself there has to be a degree of give and take between the employer and the student. Sure he may be younger than most but he can't hide from it forever and one day he needs to learn to work with problematic people - we all start somewhere.

Invariably we all form our own opinions of someone depending on what they do or say - from the looks of it I came to a slightly different conclusion to you. Who knows whether he really deserves all of our sympathy, but he still needs to deal with his naivety and learn how to work with people better. Wrapping him up in cotton wool simply isn't going to improve his predicament and it is going to disillusion him further.
Reply 7
Regardless of whatever arguments are going on here, it can't have been a very pleasant experience for you and you did well to stick it out, especially staying with strangers, which is a tough thing to do and a lot of prospective vet students won't have taken the initiative to do that. I had a particularly bad work exp placement at a livery yard, but I got through knowing that I was going to be out of there in a few days, got my head down and got on with it, and learnt what I could. At the end of the day, sometimes placements aren't going to work out, and you did well to gain what you could from it - you're only going to become a better vet for that (it'll be something to talk about at interviews too!). At least when you're at vet school you will have placements advisers to give you feedback from previous students and back you up while there if there are problems, and hopefully you will be able to learn more from them. Yes, when you get out into practise you will have to deal with some people like that, but you won't have to stay with them for days/weeks, and at the end of the day, the good people will make up for the bad! So don't let it put you off, use it as a learning experience, and give yourself a pat on the back for making it through to the other side. :smile:
Reply 8
Lol. They gave u a room, fed and paid you. That is quite alot they hve done for you.

I don't know what your particular situation was like, but in regards to not lambing many yourself - alot of farmers normally don't let you loose on their sheep unless you show initiative and prove that you are learning - be it watching the sheep very carefully, reading up on lambing and knowing when a sheep looks like its having a problem lambing, asking alot of questions when the farmer is showing you things - and doing little things to help the farmer when you are not asked.

Some farmers are abrasive though, I agree. And in regards to how he spoke to you sometimes - it's not nice, but you have to take it with a pinch of salt, he probably doesn't mean it to be mean, he's just not used to teaching sympathetically!
Reply 9
I'm afraid I'm probably going to say similar to some of the other things people have already said.

Money wise - a lot of vet students don't get paid for placements. So you have done well to get any pay for work experience. Esp since you got board/lodging as well. Most places it would be either/or. It is a pity it wasn't made clearer before hand that you would only get a 'token' payment, and not actually be 'paid' as such.

Experience wise, it can be very much pot luck as to how much actual lambing you get to do. 100 sheep isn't actually that many, and some flocks are better than others, and in some places there won't be many at all that need helping. I would say 60 out of 100 lambing in one weeks isn't bad either. Depends how long they were tupped for, but it could well have been over a 10/14 day period or so, in which case they wouldn't all lamb in a week. Whilst bedding pens etc can be boring/repetitive, it is much of what work experience ends up being! Not ideal I know, but it happens.

Farmer wise - I know what you mean! I've had my fair share of rubbish from people on farms :smile: It shouldn't happen, I'm not saying it is right, but lambing can be a very stressful time, and it can be very frustrating for shepherds/farmers to have unexperienced helpers. That isn't our fault or theirs...but it can make it hard work! Like I say, it doesn't mean it is right, people shouldn't be shouted and sworn at...but in these sort of cases it is often best to just put up and shut up, keep your head down and let it blow over! It isn't normally worth getting worked up about yourself, generally it isn't personal (even if it can seem it!) and it just frustration in general. Believe me...I know...I have been on the recieving end numerous times during my time on a farm atm. :rolleyes: It is rubbish, but I just ignore it and carry on, and it blows over.

If you were at the farm I think you were at (were you there last week?) then Chatsworth were asked if they wanted an extra work exp, but our lambing had about wound up by that point and we were struggling to have enough for our own students, let alone another one. We also have some students this week, and they haven't lambed a single sheep yet! Again, shame when you were expecting it, but informal offers/agreements often fall through.

In all...I can understand your frustration. But, often in farm situations in particular it is just a case of learning to rub along with people in difficult situations, with people who often aren't used to having to deal with novices/students. To bear with the situation and just try your best to ignore things and carry on. You did well to stick the week, I bet you will have learnt things from the week, even if you don't feel particulary like you benefitted from it at the moment.
Reply 10
ch0c0h01ic
As I said earlier, lambing and calving is an incredibly stressful time of year, throw in some sleep deprivation and even the most well intentioned people can crack. As you said yourself there has to be a degree of give and take between the employer and the student. Sure he may be younger than most but he can't hide from it forever and one day he needs to learn to work with problematic people - we all start somewhere.

Invariably we all form our own opinions of someone depending on what they do or say - from the looks of it I came to a slightly different conclusion to you. Who knows whether he really deserves all of our sympathy, but he still needs to deal with his naivety and learn how to work with people better. Wrapping him up in cotton wool simply isn't going to improve his predicament and it is going to disillusion him further.

I understand that it is hard on the farmers, however he had no sleep deprovation as I offered to do many of the night shifts. I also apologised for letting the ewes slip past to which he proclaimed "you should be". I have admittedly not dealt with people like that on a long term basis, however i did alot to help him and felt extremely under appreciated. I also told them over the phone what food i liked/disliked and even offered to pay them!!!

And finally i do not appreciate being spoken to and about like a child and understand that there are people like that and that we have to deal with them, it was the fact i was taking my own time to help him, put alot of effort into it but was still shouted at and called names i would not even want to infer on this website.
Reply 11
I have to say, unfortunately, that I agree with what most other people have said. I read the post and I really couldn't see what was so terrible about it. You got accommodation, food, money and a realistic experience of lambing? I've never been paid or been offered accommodation for any work experience. He was actually being generous by giving all those things, especially when you had no experience of lambing. Yeah, the farmer was rude, but some people are, and experiences like that are character building. I don't agree with the fact he called you names, that's just harsh, but it's a small price to pay for work experience that is basically essential to get into vet school. I obviously appreciate that it wasn't a pleasant experience, but unfortunately, that's the way things are. Just think of it as good practice for dealing with horrible clients in the future!

I've been lucky; I've never had a bad work experience, except at a stables I worked at. Everyone was extremely rude (all except one person there refused to speak to me for the first 2 days, except to tell me what to do) and openly looked down on me because I didn't own my own horse. But, I got through the week and got a half-decent reference out of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending