The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick accommodation: Whitefields

I'm choosing between either Whitefields or Rootes. I know a bit about Rootes from what my brother's told me and I know it's party central. That's fine cos I am quite outgoing, I'm not sure though that it might be too loud, cos I do like a bit of alone time in my room reading and whatever and most of all I love my sleep. I don't really want to be kept up all night. So I just want a bit more information about Whitefields from someone who's been there or knows someone from there. Facility wise they're both pretty similar but also Whitefields is cheaper :smile:

Cheers! xxx
Reply 1
bump. I'm considering exactly the same thing.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Same as me as well:frown: Apparently Whitefields can be bad because if you don't like the people in your bloc thingy, then it's hell. But that's only what a few reviews have said!
Reply 3
Jayd222
Same as me as well:frown: Apparently Whitefields can be bad because if you don't like the people in your bloc thingy, then it's hell. But that's only what a few reviews have said!

Reviews? where?
Reply 4
Zweihander
Reviews? where?

I've been linking that everywhere. :p: Although there isn't a 'new review', there is an older one in the first few pages/in the University of Warwick wiki

Anyway, Whitefields is the nearest halls to the SU and at 1-2am the SU closes and there are inebriated students stumbling and singing out of the SU. Just one of the downsides - I personally think there are many more, especially being with a group of 12 people is a separate building to other flats.

EDIT: Today (it seems, possibly yesterday) Whitefields was updated to a 37 week let, with 2 weeks off in December, during which I think you would need to move out during then. Further updates in the accommodation thread.
Reply 6

I think rootes is substantially better, i also wanted a quite'ish place to live and i put that in the description section and i got exactly that. The biggest difference between the 2 is that in rootes you get a sink in your room, which over the course of the year is extremely helpful. Alot depends on who your living with, but in that sense i think whitefield's is more riskier than rootes. As for comfortable sleep, expect around 10 fire alarms at very inappropriate times over the course of the year in rootes.
Reply 7
TYP
I think rootes is substantially better, i also wanted a quite'ish place to live and i put that in the description section and i got exactly that. The biggest difference between the 2 is that in rootes you get a sink in your room, which over the course of the year is extremely helpful. Alot depends on who your living with, but in that sense i think whitefield's is more riskier than rootes. As for comfortable sleep, expect around 10 fire alarms at very inappropriate times over the course of the year in rootes.

Do they actually check every room during the fire alarm?
Zweihander
Do they actually check every room during the fire alarm?

Spot checks, as far as I know. Also depends on how security are feeling - if it's their fifth fire alarm attendance in one night (yes, it happens) then they're more likely to just turn the alarm off and be done with it. Of course they have to investigate the source of the alarm - so that might involve checking various rooms. Long story short - I wouldn't stay in your room during a fire drill :no:
If I recall correctly it is a £50 fine if you're caught in your room during a fire alarm. And 10 a year is a slight underestimate for me: in the first two terms I had more like 20. It's all luck, you could say that if you live in Whitefields then there are few people to set it off :p:

They might be tempted to check in the first drill of the year. I recall that there was someone standing in the corridor when the test drill went off, probably checking that everyone left their room and then looking in rooms who's doors didn't open.

Latest

Trending

Trending