The Student Room Group

Gcse German Oral Tips?

Hey basically i have my gcse german oral nest wednesday and am scared ********.:confused:
Im doing edexcel and am really worried about it because i always do really badly in orals...but am aiming for an A* overall in german.

I revise and then freeze when i get to the exam and forget everything.
Can anyone who has done/is doing german orals give me some advice/tips please!
Also i need some useful good german phrases which will impress her...
anything useful you can think of that would be handy?

Thank you so much!
:eek3:
I have mine next Thursday. I do OCR, but hopefully I can still help.

- Make sure you include all the tenses you've done, so the perfect, present, future, conditional and the imperfect.
- Also, modal verbs such as muessen, koennen, moegen, etc.
- Practice word order so it sounds instinctive.
- Adjective endings, our teacher suggested we write a couple of sentences which really show these off and learn them to say in the exam.
- Just make sure you know all basic grammar, especially around cases.
- Don't learn stuff off by heart, except for the one minute presentation if you have to do one on Edexcel, but learn loads of vocab and verbs.

I hope this is helpful and what you were looking for. There are also some good German idioms here:

http://german.about.com/library/blredew_P.htm

And keep practicing!
Reply 2
Try to learn reflexive pronouns and the usage of "unechte" reflexive pronouns. (Z.B.: Ich bereite mich auf die mündliche Prüfung vor.)

I'm German but I learn different languages with friends/ uni mates which are from all over Asia and Europe, and I feel like this is the most critical source of mistakes.
Well, even in Germany Germans forget about their German in exam situations so don't think about it too much. :p:

Viel Glück.
Reply 3
I did mine in year 8 and got A* this is really late but for anyone reading this a tip write it as quick as possible, get it marked and finally to learn use post its, re write, mindmaps, cue cards and write the first letter of each word. I got A* overall I am now going to do my AS German maybe in one or two years.
Its useful to have a checklist of things you could put in to boost your level. Such as subordinating conjunctions, wenn clauses, relative clauses, a conditional and at least one example of a past or future tense preferably more :smile:
One point is to listen as well as speak. Listen carefully to the examiner etc. and respond appropriately. I've seen this from both sides of the table when I was a candidate for German at the Goethe Institute and when my foreign students do public exams in English as a foreign language. Sometimes people (including me!) try to show off and just talk, talk, talk without listening to the question and any responses. Listening is part of the communication and if you just talk at people you'll just get nervous, rush and make more mistakes than you would otherwise.

Quick Reply