Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Question Time - David Cameron answers your questions

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Based on the answers, do you believe the Conservatives would represent student views?
    Yes
    30.83%
    No
    59.73%
    Somewhat
    9.44%

• 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which of his aides answered these questions then do we think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    After reading this the words, 'avoiding the subject' and 'HOW are you going to do these things' comes to mind. All smooth, but yet again no real substance.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cactus_Man)
    Curious: with Labour being as messed up as it is (authoritarian policies and whatnot), why don't more leftists vote for the Liberal Democrats instead? Or are the LD's the same way, more or less?

From Stateside, it appears that the arena focuses primarily on Labour vs Conservative, and I'm just confused about why that's the case (if it is). Seems like everyone's ignoring the LD's.
    The Lib Dems have pretty wacky policies and so however much you like Lib Dems you are fairly likely to be turned off by one of their controversial policies, whilst the other two have safer policies. For example LDs want to scrap Trident, stop nuclear power, move to proportional representation, call an amnesty on illegal immigrants and did (no matter what Nick says now) urge us to join the Euro, a move that would have probably seen us absolutely ****** seeing as we only got through the recession by our ability to control our own monetary policy.

In addition people still see them as not having a chance of winning and 'inexperienced' seeing as no one in their party has ever even served as the main opposition, and a Lib Dem majority would see a lot of new MPs who had never even served in Parliament suddenly being in charge of the country. Tories and Labour however have very experienced MPs.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fretter778)
    The answer to question 4 made me laugh. His answer to question 9 was ********.
    Seriously, what did you expect him to answer for question four? that he was a squeak? and as to question nine, It's not what you say it's what you do that counts. Cameron and the Tories are actually making massive improvement toward gay rights and whether you think it's hypocrisy can only be answered as to what they're doing not thinking.
    Do you expect him to become gay or simply to defend gay rights? Or do you think he'll pull a trick and jail them when he's PM?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyes_WearsGlasses)
    After reading this the words, 'avoiding the subject' and 'HOW are you going to do these things' comes to mind. All smooth, but yet again no real substance.
    Yeah that's true. Are the other ones any better? perhaps the LD are a bit more concrete, at least they took a stance on the war, which says more than "We are the solution to your problems, we are the right future" and bosh. Wish they'd be more substance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    As a Labour supporter, I was pretty impressed, I like how he at least tried to answer all the questions anyway.

Question 4's answer was hilarious though.
    I also don't buy that he would go to Rwanda, he looks more like a "Chateau near the Alps" kind of man.

Hot wife though.
    He went to rwanda for his gap year and i agree about his wife :-)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    Seriously, what did you expect him to answer for question four? that he was a squeak? and as to question nine, It's not what you say it's what you do that counts. Cameron and the Tories are actually making massive improvement toward gay rights and whether you think it's hypocrisy can only be answered as to what they're doing not thinking.
    Do you expect him to become gay or simply to defend gay rights? Or do you think he'll pull a trick and jail them when he's PM?
    I think having a single policy that protects LGBT people in his manifesto is a start. Also not having a home secretary who talks about barring gay people from businesses, a defence minister who thinks that gay men need their age of consent changed and the worst votes in the commons of every party elected at any level in the last five years according to stonewall?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnatalie01x)
    So you think that the country's still in great shape after 13 years of Labour? That's funny :rolleyes:
    I think its funny you use the world 'still'. How much do you remember of 97?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    his answers lack substance.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skiguru)
    He went to rwanda for his gap year and i agree about his wife :-)
    My bad then!
    And oh yeah, SamCam is a very handsome woman.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I for one encourage him to go to Rwanda - and to stay there preferably.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The guy can't even answer a question about his clubs 100% truthfully. He could say he was part of a club that drinks and spouts racism for the lawls...

...or he could pretend he's the active, sporty type who rides to work on a bicycle, has a coffee break with the builders and has a logo of a tree drawn by a 'child'.

The gay rights one is hilarious. The same party who has members campaigning and voting against gay rights and only recently had one guy saying B&Bs should be able to turn people down specifically citing the customer being gay as an example.

I think I shan't be voting to work on a wage of £3 an hour, have to pay £25 whenever I see a doctor about a problem and watch them go to a hypocritical war with Iran and thus potentially planting the seeds for World War III kthx.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cactus_Man)
    Thanks for clearing that up. That is a shame though; it sounds like your options are about as limited as ours over here. From my perspective: you've got the Conservatives (bleh), and then you've got Labour, which overall legislates in agreeable ways, but simultaneously has a knack for trying to morph Britain into an Orwellian society. Not sure which is worse. Although, if the Conservatives are just as pro-surveillance as Labour, I suppose that would make the choice at least slightly easier, though no more pleasant to stomach.
    The conservatives have actually attempted to stop every erosion of our civil liberties that Labour have pushed through. They voted against and spoke out against 42 day detention without charge and the bill was eventually defeated with the help of conservative Lords. They criticised the proposed plans to construct a huge database storing all of our emails, phone messages and text messages, and they want to stop innocent people's DNA being stored. They opposed ID cards from the start, and they plan to reverse some of the powers that the local council and police can currently use to gather surveillance on you (e.g. at the moment, police can remotely hack into your computer and have a good rummage without a warrant or even a clear set of criteria to establish when such an invasion is appropriate).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiamondsAreForever)
    Cameron is the only guy who has actually answered my question. Surprisingly. Although I don't think he's really considered what I was trying to say, he talks about all those from disadvantaged backgrounds having equal opportunities, but why do none of them realise that many people get no funding from their parents even though they earn lots, therefore get hardly any money? It's a bigger problem than they realise.
    I totally agree with this. I'm going to university in September, and my parents are having to give me an extra £1,400 for my accommodation simply because I didn't qualify for the whole loan amount. Just because my parents earn over a certain amount, why should they have to give me the money? Surely I would learn more if I had gotten the full loan and had to pay it back myself, rather than taking handouts from my parents?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    DAVID CAMERON IS AN IDIOT, HE LOVES PRIVATE EDUCATION END OF. theres no point anyone young voting for him cos he's gonna put the fees up for uni a ridiculous amount. lib dems on the other hand are goin to try and bring them down to nothing in the course of a decade, and evn if they dont at least their not raising them to 10,000 pounds. cameron and his party only want to make the rich richer, the same old tory party as ever
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought he did very well. He seems to have satisfied large sections of the TSR audience, which is awash with lefty student types anyway

wonderland, what's your problem with private education? Should people be forced to go into public education or something?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderland92)
    DAVID CAMERON IS AN IDIOT, HE LOVES PRIVATE EDUCATION END OF. theres no point anyone young voting for him cos he's gonna put the fees up for uni a ridiculous amount. lib dems on the other hand are goin to try and bring them down to nothing in the course of a decade, and evn if they dont at least their not raising them to 10,000 pounds. cameron and his party only want to make the rich richer, the same old tory party as ever
    A simple LOL will do for that.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Whoever wins this election will never be elected again, at least for another generation." Read that in a newspaper. This got me thinking. The Lib Dems want to abolish student tuition fees and in return graduates have to pay a slightly larger tax compared to everyone else until they've equivalently paid back their whole debt. This would be a great option especially if the Lib Dems don't get re-elected. This would mean tuition fees would be re-introduced and the new law would mean our generation get a free uni education and if a new government comes in after the Lib Dems, we would have to pay the same tax rate as everyone else, would I be right in thinking that?
    • 58 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chaz1992)
    "Whoever wins this election will never be elected again, at least for another generation." Read that in a newspaper. This got me thinking. The Lib Dems want to abolish student tuition fees and in return graduates have to pay a slightly larger tax compared to everyone else until they've equivalently paid back their whole debt. This would be a great option especially if the Lib Dems don't get re-elected. This would mean tuition fees would be re-introduced and the new law would mean our generation get a free uni education and if a new government comes in after the Lib Dems, we would have to pay the same tax rate as everyone else, would I be right in thinking that?
    I reckon if you drop the tution fees, you'll see a serious decline in the standards of British Universities. Having no income from students to rely on, the Unis will have to secure private financial backing from somewhere. Free University education may well sound great - they do it in Greece. Bit mark my word, I've seen it in Greece and it is really not that good. It hardly compares to any of the Unis in Britain. That is the danger of Universities being funded by the state - as some Unis might have to if they cannot get financial backing I feel.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    A good man with coherent answers. But looking at the three threads why do the left think its appropriate to launch personal attacks on the party leader and supporters of the party, the right look at the left as misguided at most while the left see the right as pure consolidated evil.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 6, 2010
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.