The Student Room Group

Out of state or In state

Ok I know most of you wouldn't know too much about the situation. However I am currently in my undergrad for pre-medical biology. I have been looking at med schools to goto. Now the Texas med schools rank somewhat high in the nation if you take out the ivy league ( which I personally think is a bunch of bs) UT ranks around 20 and Baylor ranks 24 in the nation. Now when I am done with med school I would like to do my internship in Texas I don't see myself living anywhere else. Working at Baylor or UT would get me used to the hospitals where there teach. As well as Texas having some of the best medical centers in the country. However, would it be worth it to go somewhere like UCLA or Duke just for the Degree, or is it better to go where you want to be. Because I see most medical schools as the same and a stepping stone to the area you want to work. With the exception of a few of course like John Hopkins.

In short, pay the ludicrous amount of money for a name or go with an area you love?
Texan88
Ok I know most of you wouldn't know too much about the situation. However I am currently in my undergrad for pre-medical biology. I have been looking at med schools to goto. Now the Texas med schools rank somewhat high in the nation if you take out the ivy league ( which I personally think is a bunch of bs) UT ranks around 20 and Baylor ranks 24 in the nation. Now when I am done with med school I would like to do my internship in Texas I don't see myself living anywhere else. Working at Baylor or UT would get me used to the hospitals where there teach. As well as Texas having some of the best medical centers in the country. However, would it be worth it to go somewhere like UCLA or Duke just for the Degree, or is it better to go where you want to be. Because I see most medical schools as the same and a stepping stone to the area you want to work. With the exception of a few of course like John Hopkins.

In short, pay the ludicrous amount of money for a name or go with an area you love?

Hey, just to remind you that this is a UK forum so you probably wouldn't find your answer here. Try 'the other forum'.:wink:

If you can get into a very prestigious medical school like UCLA/Duke then go for it co'z not a lot of applicants gets the opportunity to study there. Maybe try speaking to current UCLA-ers (you'll find them on facebook groups, US-based forums) to give you some insider's guide. It would also be worth visiting your shortlisted medical schools before you make your decision.
Reply 2
Can US medical schools see which uni you went to when you apply for your foundation position?
Woody.
Can US medical schools see which uni you went to when you apply for your foundation position?

Of course and it's a big deal. Medical schools post on their website where their graduates got residencies. It's a really nice (and competitive) system. Medical schools also have quite a small intake.
Woody.

Yup. The higher the ranking of the medical school you went to, the better your chances of securing a job in the US.

As Anonymous Penguin said above your med school, including your name, photo and other credentials (pre-med degree and biography) will be displayed on their respective websites.:eek:
Reply 5
Texan88

Out of curiosity, why do you dislike the Ivy League so much?
Reply 6
Texan88

Residency programs are keen to take from their own as well...you will get to know the PDs for residency through your clerkships. Something else to bear in mind.
Reply 7
That's exactly what I was thinking. As I would like to work in Texas (and as most people in Texas prefer to hire Texans) I would think that going to a program in my native state and being comfortable there would be better. It is not like these medical school are bad by any means. I just don't think that an Ivy league degree is the only thing that should matter when one chooses a career path. I personally feel that these schools while good have an inflated sense of self importance and though they put out great students I don't believe the 4x cost of tuition is worth it.