Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do the Liberal Democrats have a chance now?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: Do LibDem have a chance?
    Yes
    55.25%
    No
    25.00%
    Maybe?
    18.52%
    No idea
    1.23%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Since the debate that is. That's all!

Edit: coalition government with them in it counts as a yes.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not to get into government, but I do fear it means a more likely scenario of a hung-parliament, which IMO will be bad for British politics. It could, indeed, mean letting Labour get in through the back door.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mean hung parlimaent is more likely. They would need the biggest landslide ever x2 to get in, however they will certainly gain more seats.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Not to get into government, but I do fear it means a more likely scenario of a hung-parliament, which IMO will be bad for British politics. It could, indeed, mean letting Labour get in through the back door.
    I though Nick Clegg expressed his opinions about forming a coalition and that he'd rather form a coalition with the Tories than Labour.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    They have a chance of getting a significant portion of the vote, and may come second or close to it... which would mean a hung parliament and a chance at the next general election if they play their cards right.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd hope so but I doubt it with how much they'd need things to swing in their favour.

As others have said it's more likely to result in a hung parliament.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They will win.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    liberal who?

haha just kidding, i do believe it has helped their chances for a hung parliament but i don't think they will get into power
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Idealistically, yes.
    Realistically, probably not.

I'm still voting for them though
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    The Lib Dems take votes from both parties, really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    I though Nick Clegg expressed his opinions about forming a coalition and that he'd rather form a coalition with the Tories than Labour.
    Hmmm? Did you ascertain this from the debate or did he say this somewhere else? (If so, do you have a link?)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I voted yes, but they always did have a chance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought Nick Clegg did well tonight, it seems he has some good ideas.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think people are quite short sighted. Sure they might not win. But each election is a chance to establish themselves as serious contenders in the next, surely? If you agree with their policies and believe they would be represent your views in parliament, why not give them your vote and you might see them in serious competition in the future.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I wish people would stop saying "The Lib Dems won't win" because that creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. This is a television debate. The fad will pass. Although it is nice to see them get coverage.

The question is that if they take votes, who from and will that create a clear majority or not?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renegade Dagger)
    Hmmm? Did you ascertain this from the debate or did he say this somewhere else? (If so, do you have a link?)
    Mr Clegg would not be drawn on whether he favoured joining an administration led by either Labour or the Tories.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...10/8614630.stm

Well apparently he doesn't favour either party and he wouldn't support the spending cuts that the Tories are proposing so I dunno. Can't remember when I heard his say it or if I ever did.
    • 3 followers

They're very unlikely to get in. No matter how good they might be, there are more people who have hard-wired political allegiances (particularly to Labour and Conservative) who will vote for said parties no matter what they do; a bit like the system in the USA where people vote Republican and Democrat because they've been brought up to do so. It'll be a good few years before the Liberal Democrats actually stand a chance of winning a general election. However as others have said, Nick Clegg came across very well in the prime ministerial debate; he's definitely got my vote, but I don't think it's a realistic outcome that they'll win the election.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    They're very unlikely to get in. No matter how good they might be, there are more people who have hard-wired political allegiances (particularly to Labour and Conservative) who will vote for said parties no matter what they do; a bit like the system in the USA where people vote Republican and Democrat because they've been brought up to do so. It'll be a good few years before the Liberal Democrats actually stand a chance of winning a general election. However as others have said, Nick Clegg came across very well in the presidential debate; he's definitely got my vote, but I don't think it's a realistic outcome that they'll win the election.
    almost right.

I will eat my hat and every other hat I can find if the LibDem's win. Brown was obviously trying to court some Liberal Democrats by constantly stressing 'I know Nick agrees with me here' in the hope of forming a coalition with him in the event of a hung parliament. Clegg probably just about won but by such a small amount I'd say its probably not too significant, with Brown second and Cameron in last place seems to be the general consensus of the many many polls that looked at the debate. Lots were incredibly bad though, ITV.com's 'worm' over the screen was the opinion of just 20 people.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I hope I don't sound stupid, as I don't know they technicalities of parliament, but does hung parliament mean the same as a grand coalition - because I have a strong feeling that will happen.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2010
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.