The Student Room Group

Anyone Need Hair Help????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Clare~Bear
I posted this as a thread but have only got one reply so I thought I'd ask you.

I've got layered shoulder length wavy hair. It's light brown with a tinge of blonde/auburn depending on the light.

I'm wondereing about dip-dying it.

What colours should I do it and how? (As in all to the same level, so longer layers have the most and some of the shorter layers will only have a tiny bit, BUT if I do this and it goes wonky it'll look odd won't it? so should i jsut do a little bit here and there?) or what?

Hi Clare Bear,

I try to get on here as much as possible but I receive loads of questions so I often miss them. You can ask me this again if you haven't had any answer or post it on my facebook page 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert'.

As I said, its an older post so not sure if you got an answer.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by KardKaper
Hi all,

Over the passed two months I've made the active decision to improve my style which was a decision based on the result of a few embarrassing situations that I wont go into.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a hairstyle that will suit me. I'm starting a new job in early June in a fairly professional environment so it needs to be fairly short and maintainable. Can someone give me some insight as to what hairstyles I could get away with?

To be honest, I've never been to a hair stylist before - I usually go to a "walk-in barber" so any advice would be really helpful.

I've posted a pic below if it helps. Forgive the cuts on my face (if you can see them), I've just had an encounter with a straight razor (ouch!).

Thanks,
Mike

faceshot.png

Hi Mike,

It's hard to see from the one picture, I think you could go down a couple of avenues. Do you have several photos you could upload? I'm a bit torn what to suggest as I can see you as 'classic' and 'quite quirky hairwise'.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by damilola
Hi, i have relaxed, but still frizzy, thick african hair that i have to straighten every time i wash it but i need a new inexpensive hair straightener, i don't know ANYTHING about straighteners though and i don't have a lot of money either. So, yeah, if anyone is SURE about hair straighteners(if something goes wrong with my hair i will hunt u down and eat ur face :colone: ), i'd like some help. Cheers

Hi Damilola,

You need to be careful with inexpensive irons because the plates can be a pourer quality metal and scorch the hair. Ceramic plated irons are expensive but will slide through the hair faster and smooth and straighten it.

Personally, my best advice to someone who wants to preserve the condition of afro hair but wants it smoothed and straighter is to wind their hair (when wet) with an oil or serum around large plastic rollers and let the hair dry naturally or sit under a hood dryer. Doing this will smooth the hair out. When you remove the rollers the hair will look a little big, but after you have removed the rollers, you can use a Denman brush to break all the roller marks up and then for several minutes blow dry the hair (with the Denman Brush) flatter and straighter. This will preserve the condition of your hair, keep it smooth but also get the kind of results you want without needing an expensive iron.

Cheers

Scott
Original post by ScottCornwall
Hi Clare Bear,

I try to get on here as much as possible but I receive loads of questions so I often miss them. You can ask me this again if you haven't had any answer or post it on my facebook page 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert'.

As I said, its an older post so not sure if you got an answer.

Cheers

Scott

I kinda got an answer. I still haven't done anything with my hair yet. What do you suggest?

Like I said, i've got shoulder length wavy/curly light brown hair - sometimes it looks kinda auburn and then sometimes it looks really blonde!

What colour should i dip dye the tips of my hair? An how should I do it ie all to one level or say the bottom cm or two of all my layers?
Hi Everyone,

As you know I give hair advice and try as best as I can to come on here and answer your questions. However, quite often I miss many of your questions because five get posted at once and I only see the first and last!

I'm trying to build a hair resouce on my website which will hold a wealth of information which people can just go onto and receive the answer they want.
Therefore (if you wouldn't mind helping me) I wondered if you could put your hair questions to me in this thread and I will a) answer them and b) use them on my site so you have access to them in the future.

The categories I'd really like questions on are:-

Style (cuts, home styling, perming, straightening etc)
Colour (all issues colour related)
Mens (Guys please send me anything grooming related and I'll help)

And anything else you can think of!

Again - sorry if I miss any of your questions - but hopefully if we can try and contain them within one thread I will have more chance finding them again.

Also - remember to join me on Facebook at 'Scott Cornwall Hair Expert' and on Twitter as I post updates and links to hair regularly on here too!

Kind Regards

Hi Scott :smile:

I have two questions I'm hoping you can help me with :

1) I'm Eurasian and have olive, kinda yellow based skin, and dark brown hair. At the moment I have caramel blonde highlights, but they're a bit too obvious. What colour would you suggest for looking nice but natural and also making my skin tone less sallow?

2) I have very long hair, and long layers....but it's a bit boring. Can you suggest a hair style that will suit a round face and look a bit more up to date?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:
[QUOTE="La_Chiquita;37610764"]
Hi Everyone,

Hi Scott :smile:

I have two questions I'm hoping you can help me with :

1) I'm Eurasian and have olive, kinda yellow based skin, and dark brown hair. At the moment I have caramel blonde highlights, but they're a bit too obvious. What colour would you suggest for looking nice but natural and also making my skin tone less sallow?

2) I have very long hair, and long layers....but it's a bit boring. Can you suggest a hair style that will suit a round face and look a bit more up to date?

Thank you so much in advance :smile:

Hi Chiquita,

It sounds as though your highlights may be too hard edged, which means if you are a natural dark base and have had bleach highlights applied they may look (as you said) a bit obvious. I think you should try adding a 6.1 Dark Ash Blonde over them and this will mute them down. You need to make sure you use a semi permanent colourant to do this (such as Nice and Easy Level 2) and apply to damp hair. Using a permanent colour could cause your natural dark (which is unhilighted) to go warm. Applying this 6.1 would give you a very soft multi tonal brown. I would normally say if you are olive skinned that warm toned hair colours will suit, but because you have a lot of natural dark you must avoid these permanent colours because they could cause your natural colour to go orangey. Instead, if you use neutral colours you should get a good result.

Yes, you would look great with reduction in volume around the face and at the top of the head, but curl on the mid-lengths and ends. I will give you a great tip hair, you can pull long hair into a ponytail and very quickly curl the pony tail with a curling iron. Then when you remove the ponytail the hair is curly mid-way down. If you don't have too much bleach on your hair, you can also apply this same method with a perming product. Asian hair will typically perm very well and you will get a good look to your style.
[QUOTE="ScottCornwall;37628743"]
Original post by La_Chiquita

Hi Chiquita,

It sounds as though your highlights may be too hard edged, which means if you are a natural dark base and have had bleach highlights applied they may look (as you said) a bit obvious. I think you should try adding a 6.1 Dark Ash Blonde over them and this will mute them down. You need to make sure you use a semi permanent colourant to do this (such as Nice and Easy Level 2) and apply to damp hair. Using a permanent colour could cause your natural dark (which is unhilighted) to go warm. Applying this 6.1 would give you a very soft multi tonal brown. I would normally say if you are olive skinned that warm toned hair colours will suit, but because you have a lot of natural dark you must avoid these permanent colours because they could cause your natural colour to go orangey. Instead, if you use neutral colours you should get a good result.

Yes, you would look great with reduction in volume around the face and at the top of the head, but curl on the mid-lengths and ends. I will give you a great tip hair, you can pull long hair into a ponytail and very quickly curl the pony tail with a curling iron. Then when you remove the ponytail the hair is curly mid-way down. If you don't have too much bleach on your hair, you can also apply this same method with a perming product. Asian hair will typically perm very well and you will get a good look to your style.

Hi Scott,

Just wanted to thank you for your reply, great advice! I had bought a medium brown dye to put over the highlights but I'm glad I waited as I will get an ash blonde as you suggest and try that, I've already tried the curling the pony tail trick and it works really well, so thank you! :smile:
Thin hair thats greasy the day after i wash it and really flat... it reacts badly to straightening!
Whammagonnado?
Hey, I have a few questions

- I have long, naturally thick hair and I recently cut it in some layers to get even more volume. I regret it a bit because I want my hair to be super-long (think Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon :tongue: ). I heard someone say once that even if you want to grow your hair longer, you should cut it regularly, as it will help. Is it true? My hair has always been growing fast, but it feels like it's growing slower now, why could this be?

- I recently bought some coconut oil. I know some people sleep with it in their hair overnight, does it actually help? Should I wash it with shampoo before using the oil overnight and then just rinse or wash with shampoo after to get it out?

- My hair is naturally blonde and often gets dry and frizzy (I do get highlights as well). Do you have any tips for shine and to make hair more 'healthy-looking'?

- My hair has some wave, but mostly just volume. I want to get those natural, lose waves, but it's almost impossible with a curling iron as my hair is long and there is so much of it. Any tips for getting those without heating tools?

- How often should I /can I wash my hair? I wash it every second day now. A friend of mine (with gorgeous hair) washes it every 4 days :redface: I'd love to do that, is it only about getting the hair used to it? Mine is not particularly greasy.

Thank you :h:
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi Sheepstick, I can't see you so I can be honest about your claims of having a big nose (I'm sure it's not that big). Best example of good hair on someone with sharper facial features is Sarah Jessica Parker. She wears her hair long in waves and with a centre parting so the bulk at the side of her face with the waves draws it out and lessens her nose.

Wearing hair straight on a facial type like this can drag the overall face down. Scraping the hair back can also look harsh, unless you grab it into a ponytail and curl the hair in that ponytail.

Happy to explain more :wink:

thank you very much :smile:
Original post by anuradha_d
Thin hair thats greasy the day after i wash it and really flat... it reacts badly to straightening!
Whammagonnado?

Immediately I would tell you to stop using any kind of conditioner and swap to a leave in conditioner or a high conditioning styling product. But what do you mean by 'reacts badly to straightening!'?
Immediately I would tell you to stop using any kind of conditioner and swap to a leave in conditioner or a high conditioning styling product. But what do you mean by 'reacts badly to straightening!'?

I stopped using conditioner a while ago and it didn't make a difference
:'( it just goes really really dead whenever I straighten it.

I think hairfall and volume are my problem...I'd appreciate Amy suggestions! Thanks so much
Original post by Aconcernedparent

- I have long, naturally thick hair and I recently cut it in some layers to get even more volume. I regret it a bit because I want my hair to be super-long (think Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon :tongue: ). I heard someone say once that even if you want to grow your hair longer, you should cut it regularly, as it will help. Is it true? My hair has always been growing fast, but it feels like it's growing slower now, why could this be?

- I recently bought some coconut oil. I know some people sleep with it in their hair overnight, does it actually help? Should I wash it with shampoo before using the oil overnight and then just rinse or wash with shampoo after to get it out?

- My hair is naturally blonde and often gets dry and frizzy (I do get highlights as well). Do you have any tips for shine and to make hair more 'healthy-looking'?

- My hair has some wave, but mostly just volume. I want to get those natural, lose waves, but it's almost impossible with a curling iron as my hair is long and there is so much of it. Any tips for getting those without heating tools?

- How often should I /can I wash my hair? I wash it every second day now. A friend of mine (with gorgeous hair) washes it every 4 days :redface: I'd love to do that, is it only about getting the hair used to it? Mine is not particularly greasy.

Thank you :h:

Hi Aconcerned..

I will answer each of these questions in turn:-

Q1) I have long, naturally thick hair and I recently cut it in some layers to get even more volume. I regret it a bit because I want my hair to be super-long (think Brooke Shields in Blue Lagoon :tongue: ). I heard someone say once that even if you want to grow your hair longer, you should cut it regularly, as it will help. Is it true? My hair has always been growing fast, but it feels like it's growing slower now, why could this be?

A) Yes you should get your hair regularly if you are growing it, just a trim but you need to blunt off the split ends. What will happen is if you don't trim hair that is growing the ends became split and these splits can go up the hair shaft causing the hair to have a 'ratty' appearance on the end areas. This then starts breaking and the hair never grows well. There is a logical reason why you think your hair may not be growing, the shorter the hair is the more we notice it needs cutting or has length. Someone who has long hair can go six months without noticing any major change in their hair length, because to make a big difference to the current length you'd need 6 inches (which is a years growth). Also, hair has a genetic growth length, meaning not everyone can get that Brooke Shields hair. Some peoples hair will only grow to the tips of their shoulders before malting and re-growing, other people have 7 year growth cycles. It's also based on ethnicity, for example Indian origin hair has a good long growth cycle afro and european hair is often shorter.

Q2) I recently bought some coconut oil. I know some people sleep with it in their hair overnight, does it actually help? Should I wash it with shampoo before using the oil overnight and then just rinse or wash with shampoo after to get it out?

A) With coconut oil (as with anything you want to evoke change) you need to clarify the hair before using it, even if it's a baby shampoo you use. The hair must be clear of all built up. You only need to apply a small amount of the coconut oil (as it's very greasy) and work it through the damp newly clarified hair. Then wrap your hair in cling film. The coconut oil will only deposit to a point, so honestly leaving it in all night won't do that much more good than leaving it on for 45 minutes. However, it won't harm it to leave overnight. When you go to rinse it off, apply some baby shampoo to the hair prior to adding the water. As I said coconut oil is really greasy and if you just apply water and rinse straight away it can be harder to get out. Lathering a little baby shampoo into the hair prior to rinsing breaks the oil up and aids it rinsing. After rinsing a few minutes, just proceed to your regular shampoo and give two good washes.

Q 3) My hair is naturally blonde and often gets dry and frizzy (I do get highlights as well). Do you have any tips for shine and to make hair more 'healthy-looking'?

A) Yes you can use 'Shine On' which you can get from Boots. Its a salon hair glazing and shine product in a box that acts like a tone on tone colourant but just deposits shine molecules into the hair instead of colour. I'd always glazed colour for years so I wanted home consumers to have the same option. It's also got collagen in it so it hydrates the hair. It's particularly good on blonde hair such as yours as this hairtype will typically always lack shine.

Q4) My hair has some wave, but mostly just volume. I want to get those natural, lose waves, but it's almost impossible with a curling iron as my hair is long and there is so much of it. Any tips for getting those without heating tools?

A) I got loads of tips on that one, however try washing and conditioning your hair and applying some serum or Argan oil. Then take small sections and twist at the root and very neatly roll the hair around the 'stem' of this twist, as if you were rolling it on a curling tool. Then take a wavy grip and pin the 'bun' you have created in place. Go around your head and do this and once you have lots of neat buns on your head leave the hair to dry out. This would be uncomfortable to sleep in, but you could try creating just one or two buns at the top of the head for comfort (if you did want to sleep in them). When you remove these neatly wound bounds you should find your hair has a smooth wave and roll to it. However, as I said there are lots of tips I can give on this one.

Q4) How often should I /can I wash my hair? I wash it every second day now. A friend of mine (with gorgeous hair) washes it every 4 days :redface: I'd love to do that, is it only about getting the hair used to it? Mine is not particularly greasy.

A) I'd say the longer your hair is, the less you should try to wash. This goes against what all other hair experts say, but there are practical factors to consider. When someone with long hair washes everyday or every other day they aren't just washing they are often applying more products and in some cases heat to style. It also takes much longer to style longer hair, so this is why many people then start roughing drying and using high heats from irons (as it's quick). Ultimately it weakens the hair. I would actually say if you have long or thick hair you could wash every 4 to 7 days and cleanse the hair with a dry shampoo in between. If you do have long periods between washing I would say it's crucial that you then have a washing and styling regime. Don't just use random shampoos and conditioners, work with products that also cleanse the scalp (such as Philip Kingsley) and give your hair a good treatment too.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Scott
Original post by anuradha_d
I stopped using conditioner a while ago and it didn't make a difference
:'( it just goes really really dead whenever I straighten it.

I think hairfall and volume are my problem...I'd appreciate Amy suggestions! Thanks so much

If your hair has all of a sudden become compromised and is malting the first thing you should do is speak to your doctor. It's not a worry issue, but in many cases you could have a diet or simple internal issue that may be effecting it. You may be recommended supplements etc.

I would tell you in the short term to try using a shampoo product like Alpecin and only work with volumizing products. If you have very 'limp' hair using a straightening iron will never give good results. However, you could buy an airstyler, use a volumizing shampoo or Alpecin and then use a volumizing mousse and this Airstyler to blow-dry the hair. This will smooth it out and create additional volume in your hair. Working a dry shampoo through the hair the next day after styling will also encourage volume and remove any grease that could build up near the roots.

I hope that helps a bit, I'm happy to suggest more if you need.

Cheers

Scott
Hi Aconcerned..

I hope that helps

Cheers

Scott

Are there any specific dry shampoos I should try to look for or are they all the same?
Do you recommend taking certain vitamin supplements to make hair strong/shiny? Do they have an actual effect?

Edit: I have never used dry shampoo before and am a bit horrified by the idea, but will try. Actually I got this from DM: "Some might say less is more when it comes to hair-washing, but I know that trichologists (hair experts) such as Philip Kingsley who believes you should wash your hair every day to keep it in the best condition would be horrified."
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi

I started swimming again chlorine isn't good for the hair. I know there are shampoos which give your hair more protection, but I looked in over 5 stores already and didn't find it. Is there something else I can use or do to protect my hair against the chlorine?

thanks
Original post by Aconcernedparent
Are there any specific dry shampoos I should try to look for or are they all the same?
Do you recommend taking certain vitamin supplements to make hair strong/shiny? Do they have an actual effect?

Edit: I have never used dry shampoo before and am a bit horrified by the idea, but will try. Actually I got this from DM: "Some might say less is more when it comes to hair-washing, but I know that trichologists (hair experts) such as Philip Kingsley who believes you should wash your hair every day to keep it in the best condition would be horrified."

Yes Philip Kingsley are trichologists so they deal with the hair health and that of the scalp. They work with a very good system of using specific shampoos and scalp tonics everyday. They believe the hair has to be washed everyday (pretty much) to clear the scalp. I agree with this to some degree, but it's practility vs necessity. Very good washing and scalp cleansing I believe is totally necessary but I also know that (for many people) washing and styling their hair everyday is time consuming and actually can evoke more damage if the hair is being subjected to continual heat and product types.

Good washing every so many days is crucial and if the hair is not loaded up with heavy scalp coating products, can work fine.

I would recommend Batiste dry shampoo - you spray it through the hair and it clears off residues and oils. It's completely harmless and is a simple way to keep hair kempt between washes.

Cheers

Scott
Hi!
I'd love to wear my hair up for my uni summer ball but my ears kinda stick out a bit so I'm a bit worried about drawing attention to it. I usually just curl my hair for a night out so it looks bigger and hides the ears but I'd love to do something different.

Thank you!
Hey Scott!

I have relatively long curly hair, and I need to get it cut. What style do you suggest? I currently have long layers, and it is cut into a 'v' shape down my back (as seen below). The ends have got pretty dry, so I think I would need to lose about two inches at least. Could I go shorter? I want a change but don't want it to go wrong! Thanks!

Snapshot_201205211.jpg

Snapshot_20120217.JPG
Reply 279
Hey, im male and need a new hairstyle! I have a round head haha and its quite short atm, i dont really know what looks good and will make me look decent? Could I just go into a barber and ask them to do something?

Quick Reply

Latest