The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Offers of other courses if grades aren't met

I have received a conditional offer of AAA to study English and History at Leeds and am (was) extremely excited about starting in September. However, shortly after the January exams I learnt that I would not be able to resit one of my legacy exams because as you may know, they have now been completely scrapped. I was not aware of the legacy subject stopping resits because I have been studying for this independently aside an extra qualification which I have stayed behind a year to do (I finished sixth form in 2009 and am now at college). At the moment I am 13 marks off an A which is really frustrating!
I have emailed the relevant people along with recommendations from my teachers at college, but I'm really sceptical about getting onto the course as I know it is really popular. However, I was wondering what the likelihood is of being offered a place on another course. I have committed myself to Leeds completely, which is probably a silly idea but I have wanted to go there for years, so I wouldn't mind compromising my first choice to get in and amending it once I'm there.
Does anybody have any experience with the English and History course? Has anybody been offered different courses and if so, what and how happy are they now? Any help is appreciated.
Reply 1
I think if you look at the statistics of applicants vurses places, you'll realise that an alternative offer if you don't make the grades, or a place in clearing is almost non-existant.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Spacecam
I think if you look at the statistics of applicants vurses places, you'll realise that an alternative offer if you don't make the grades, or a place in clearing is almost non-existant.

lol @ YOUR SIG. ^^

DAMN full caps :/
Whiskerella
I have received a conditional offer of AAA to study English and History at Leeds and am (was) extremely excited about starting in September. However, shortly after the January exams I learnt that I would not be able to resit one of my legacy exams because as you may know, they have now been completely scrapped. I was not aware of the legacy subject stopping resits because I have been studying for this independently aside an extra qualification which I have stayed behind a year to do (I finished sixth form in 2009 and am now at college). At the moment I am 13 marks off an A which is really frustrating!
I have emailed the relevant people along with recommendations from my teachers at college, but I'm really sceptical about getting onto the course as I know it is really popular. However, I was wondering what the likelihood is of being offered a place on another course. I have committed myself to Leeds completely, which is probably a silly idea but I have wanted to go there for years, so I wouldn't mind compromising my first choice to get in and amending it once I'm there.
Does anybody have any experience with the English and History course? Has anybody been offered different courses and if so, what and how happy are they now? Any help is appreciated.

Dude, I am in the EXACT same position! On gap year, reapplied, retook some legacy mods in january, didn't do great, got a conditional offer of AAA for Economics...

So basically what I did was email/ask for a switch to a slightly different course ( a joint honours one, which i now realise I actually prefer!! :biggrin: )

BUT it was too late in the day, despite the fact that they would have wanted me as typical offer is BBB for that course, my P.S was mint, and i was predicted higher than that. (Although as of January, ive only got BBB!!) haha

Basically the only solution is, (assuming youve already asked about swiching course now... although v unlikely they cld at this stage in the year) is Ringing up RIGHT after A level publications i.e Results day!!! And asking if they have any freed up spaces for any different courses other than the one you have applied for.

Hope this helps, was nice to know someone else is in the EXACT same position as me!! As I also want nothing more than to come to Leeds!!! :eek3:
Reply 4
I know, Leeds is amazing right?!
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of ringing them up on results day if I hadn't automatically got put onto another course or miraculously got accepted onto my first choice. I never thought asked them to transfer me onto another course, but I'd be quite happy to do anything (within reason) as long as I get in.
Now I think about it though, I kinda just wish I'd applied for English single honours because that's still AAB and I prefer English to history. The school of joint honours is so great though and the way you can switch around what you study is really appealing to me. I'd be happy doing something with politics/philosophy or something else if I didn't get on my proper course, but I doubt they'd offer it to me really.
It's horrible being in this state of limbo and not being able to get excited and feeling like it's a waste of time applying for accommodation (where are you applying, by the way?). I don't want to get super psyched about Leeds (too late) because I am still somewhat happy with my second choice, but Leeds is just the place to be!
Whiskerella
I know, Leeds is amazing right?!
Yeah, I was definitely thinking of ringing them up on results day if I hadn't automatically got put onto another course or miraculously got accepted onto my first choice. I never thought asked them to transfer me onto another course, but I'd be quite happy to do anything (within reason) as long as I get in.
Now I think about it though, I kinda just wish I'd applied for English single honours because that's still AAB and I prefer English to history. The school of joint honours is so great though and the way you can switch around what you study is really appealing to me. I'd be happy doing something with politics/philosophy or something else if I didn't get on my proper course, but I doubt they'd offer it to me really.
It's horrible being in this state of limbo and not being able to get excited and feeling like it's a waste of time applying for accommodation (where are you applying, by the way?). I don't want to get super psyched about Leeds (too late) because I am still somewhat happy with my second choice, but Leeds is just the place to be!

Yep yep! :smile: Well I'm pretty stuffed for my initial courses, so now I have switched and applied for a new course at Leeds which has spare places, and I'm now waiting to hear back from them!! Hopefully with a new offer!! (The point being that the offer will resemble my new actual grades! :biggrin: )

I'm applying for Devonshire halls! What about you?!

And some advice btw!! - You should check out UCAS Extra and search what courses Leeds still have spare places for. Quite alot actually! And then if you see something you like then you can just ring up/email Leeds and ask for a switch now and spare yourself of all the hassle of ringing up after results etc etc...!

Have a look! Hope this helps :smile:
Whiskerella

I'd say if you don't get/haven't got the grades, then it's very, very unlikely you'll get in. Leeds is massively oversubscribed for both English and History unfortunately. I'm doing English and Theatre Studies, and I know that about 30 people had accepted on offer onto the course in total - only 22 of us actually got the required grades though and they refused to accept anyone who didn't, even though they had the space for them! However, nothing is impossible and you've done the right thing by emailing them now. If you do get offered another course though, I'd doubt it would be an English or History related one. Don't want to put a dampener on things but it's really best not to get your hopes up too much :frown:

Your post confuses me slightly - have you now finished your A Levels completely and got your final results, or are you going to be taking modules this summer?

Latest