The Student Room Group

AQA biology unit 5 syllabus

Has anyone else read through the bio unit 5 syllabus? In the Homeostasis section it says about 'The role of the liver in glycogenis and gluconeogenesis'. however, in the revision guide and textbook it only mentions the pancreas!

Help!!!! please?
I haven't seen the revision guide. But, I'd go by the syllabus and look it up elsewhere.
Original post by k2_vet
Has anyone else read through the bio unit 5 syllabus? In the Homeostasis section it says about 'The role of the liver in glycogenis and gluconeogenesis'. however, in the revision guide and textbook it only mentions the pancreas!

Help!!!! please?

Hi, I'm not very good at explaining things but I'll give it a go...

The pancreas is important because it is the A cells of the islets of Langerhans (in the pancreas) that detect a fall in blood glucose level and respond by secreting the hormone glucagon directly into the blood plasma. The liver comes in because only liver cells have receptors that bind to glucagon and so only they respond. They do this by activating a phosphorylase enzyme, which converts glycogen to glucose (glycogenesis), increases the conversion of amino acids and glycerol into glucose (gluconeogenesis) and reduces the rate of respiration so that the remaining glucose is used at a slower rate. The overall effect is therefore to increase the amount of glucose in the blood and return it to its normal level.

I hope that helped :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending