The Student Room Group

Is anyone learning Dutch?

Is anyone learning Dutch at all? i'm not learning it for a GCSE or A level, I've just decided to do a teach yourself Dutch course in my spare time.
So far I know:
"Hallo, ik heet Charlie. Ik ben zeventien jaar en ik woon in Engeland. Ik spreek vrij goed Frans en Nederlands. Ik woon in een vierkamerflat en er zijn een groot keuken, een middelgroot woonkamer en een klein badkamer."
That means:
"Hello, my name is Charlie. I am 17 years old and I live in England. I speak quite good French and Dutch. I live in a four room flat and there is a large kitchen, a medium sized living room and a small bathroom."
Reply 1
Charlieee
Is anyone learning Dutch at all? i'm not learning it for a GCSE or A level, I've just decided to do a teach yourself Dutch course in my spare time.
So far I know:
"Hallo, ik heet Charlie. Ik ben zeventien jaar en ik woon in Engeland. Ik spreek vrij goed Frans en Nederlands. Ik woon in een vierkamerflat en er zijn een groot keuken, een middelgroot woonkamer en een klein badkamer."
That means:
"Hello, my name is Charlie. I am 17 years old and I live in England. I speak quite good French and Dutch. I live in a four room flat and there is a large kitchen, a medium sized living room and a small bathroom."

ja, en waar is de bioscoop?

[apologies for spelling, I learnt that about three years ago]
Reply 2
It might just be me, but I've found that doing German has given me the ability to read Dutch.
Reply 3
zxczxc
It might just be me, but I've found that doing German has given me the ability to read Dutch.

Yeah - I know what you mean.

I find I can often get an idea of what a Dutch page is going on about using a mixture of German and English!
Reply 4
Well Dutch is basically a mixture of English and German. I remember watching a programme once where the presenter went to somewhere in Holland where they spoke a dialect which was practically the same as Old English, so the presenter had some Old English phrases to use and he was understood and managed to buy a cow from a farmer!

Dutch is probably the easiest foreign language for English people to learn and I would like to as I like the country but the problem is that it's utterly pointless unless you're going to live there long term. Apparently as soon as they cotton on that you're English they start speaking perfect English to you!
Reply 5
I think it's Friesian which is supposed to be the easiest to learn, in that it's closest to English.
Reply 6
zxczxc
I think it's Friesian which is supposed to be the easiest to learn, in that it's closest to English.

Yes, I think Frisian is closer to English than Dutch. I'm Dutch myself and the previous poster is also right - there's not much sense in learning Dutch for English-speaking people since most Dutch speak English at least good.

Latest

Trending

Trending