The Student Room Group

Query about IELTS Exam for 2011 Entry.

Hello. I'm an italian student who wishes to study in England. this summer I'm gonna do a IELTS preparation in Oxford for 1 month. so i wonder if it's worth taking the exam in july 2010 although i'll apply in october 2010 for 2011 entry. my doubt is the following one: if i get a lower score than i need, could this fact affect my application? is it better applying without any english qualification and doing it later? thks
Reply 1
IELTS is generally an easy test. I did one without much preparation and still got 7 overall. You can take during summer (i did in july too) and get results in several weeks. On your UCAS application you are not required to put your results, so if you are not content with your score just leave blank. If yes, then write them down. IELTS does not play much in college applications. They can just set you a requirement to have overall 6.5/7 usually. Good thing is to do it on summer, as you have enough time to resit the test if you are not glad with your results. So, if you get low results, leave blank, and they'll put on your condition marks/points and IELTS score you need to attain. When you get your Laurea, scan it, with results and mail it to the admissions office. Good luck!

Btw, I prepared myself for the test (listening part) by watching tv series without subtitles.
Reply 2
good idea... u told me exactly what i was looking for... I'm used to watch series in english without subtitles too.. anyway before taking the big decision to move to another country i wanted to experience the british life..because of this i'm gonna do this preparation.. thankss now i need only to fill in the application form and pay.. XD
Reply 3
ludo92
good idea... u told me exactly what i was looking for... I'm used to watch series in english without subtitles too.. anyway before taking the big decision to move to another country i wanted to experience the british life..because of this i'm gonna do this preparation.. thankss now i need only to fill in the application form and pay.. XD

Prego! :smile: Oh, is Italy gay friendly country? Apart from Sicily that is? I always wanted to live in Naples? :smile:
Aquarian
Prego! :smile: Oh, is Italy gay friendly country? Apart from Sicily that is? I always wanted to live in Naples? :smile:

I live next to Italy and from the news that spills over the border I don't think it's friendlier towards gays than Britain. Of course both of those are relative.
Reply 5
AnonymousPenguin
I live next to Italy and from the news that spills over the border I don't think it's friendlier towards gays than Britain. Of course both of those are relative.

I'd like to have a career in marine biology. So Italy comes as a logical solution don't you think. But my hart belongs to Israel.

Are you from Slovenia?
Hi, I am Greek and I found IELTS quite easy, I got 7 overall(definately easier than TOEFL). I would advise you to take it. I am sure it is your choice whether to put it on your application or not. So don't worry. :biggrin:
Reply 7
I'm Italian as well and sat the IELTS in jan 2010 getting a band 8 overall without any preparation at all =)
I applied for 2010 entry, so, at the time of my UCAS application, I hadn't done IELTS yet, so I just could fill in my details in application... it wasn't a problem at all though, I got conditional offers, having a band 6.5 as a condition...

what course and where are you going to apply to OP? If you need any help with your application, I'll be glad to help you if I can, fellow Italian! just PM me :wink:
Reply 8
nika91
I'm Italian as well and sat the IELTS in jan 2010 getting a band 8 overall without any preparation at all =)
I applied for 2010 entry, so, at the time of my UCAS application, I hadn't done IELTS yet, so I just could fill in my details in application... it wasn't a problem at all though, I got conditional offers, having a band 6.5 as a condition...

what course and where are you going to apply to OP? If you need any help with your application, I'll be glad to help you if I can, fellow Italian! just PM me :wink:

Nika, maybe you can tell us what's gay life alike in Italy? or let me try in Italian :

Forse, tu potrei dirci comme e stare gay in Italia? (sorry for mistakes, I lived there till I was 5).
Reply 9
oh well, I'm from the North of Italy and here, expecially in Milan or Turin for instance, and it's quite gay friendly I would say :smile:
in the south though, expecially in Naples btw, people are quite against gays, so I wouldn't suggest you going there :s-smilie:

spain though is the gay-friendliest country I've ever seen, maybe you should consider it!

did we meet on some Cambridge applicants tread some time ago btw?
Reply 10
Aquarian
Nika, maybe you can tell us what's gay life alike in Italy? or let me try in Italian :

Forse, tu potrei dirci comme e stare gay in Italia? (sorry for mistakes, I lived there till I was 5).

I forgot to quote you before :p:
Yes. How did you guess that one?
Reply 12
AnonymousPenguin
Yes. How did you guess that one?

Well, you said you live next to Italy. Judging by the flag, you are not Swiss. That's why you are either French, Slovenian or Austrian. There are not many French here, and they use almost always French usernames. Also, they have a different construction of english sentences. Austrians are not really presented on the forum, and as almost all central European German people, they tend to be a bit EU sceptics (judging by the voting casts). However, Slovenia tends to be more towards EU, integration, as ppl from ex yu suffered a lot. That's why those who experienced economical difficulties (generation 90, 91, 92) tend to be more europhilic , that is have a positive view toward eu integrations.

Old Jewish wisdom + enormous amount of luck.
Reply 13
nika91
oh well, I'm from the North of Italy and here, expecially in Milan or Turin for instance, and it's quite gay friendly I would say :smile:
in the south though, expecially in Naples btw, people are quite against gays, so I wouldn't suggest you going there :s-smilie:

spain though is the gay-friendliest country I've ever seen, maybe you should consider it!

did we meet on some Cambridge applicants tread some time ago btw?

Yes, I think that too. You didn't get in? The day I got that rejection I felt like a lost a battle.

Anyways, I was also thinking that about Italy, especially cos of the Pope. But Spain, good point. I'll try to make a career there.
Reply 14
Aquarian
Yes, I think that too. You didn't get in? The day I got that rejection I felt like a lost a battle.

Anyways, I was also thinking that about Italy, especially cos of the Pope. But Spain, good point. I'll try to make a career there.

well, I got pooled and then rejected at the very end of Jan... it was alright actually cos I had already an offer from Imperial for MechEng, which was my first choice...

where are you going to study next year then?

why would you want to live in a country just cos there is the pope there? I'd really suggest you to visit Barcelona, you'll fall in love with that city in all aspects :p:
Reply 15
nika91
well, I got pooled and then rejected at the very end of Jan... it was alright actually cos I had already an offer from Imperial for MechEng, which was my first choice...

where are you going to study next year then?

why would you want to live in a country just cos there is the pope there? I'd really suggest you to visit Barcelona, you'll fall in love with that city in all aspects :p:

:sigh: I wanted to say that it was Pope who is mocking gays and opposing gay rights.

Anyways, I am more into Israel, but somehow Naples seemed OK, with Stazione zoologica, marine station, and pizza, volcano, architecture. But yes, I assume it must be homophobic.

Oh, yes, still not sure about studies.
Reply 16
Aquarian
:sigh: I wanted to say that it was Pope who is mocking gays and opposing gay rights.

Anyways, I am more into Israel, but somehow Naples seemed OK, with Stazione zoologica, marine station, and pizza, volcano, architecture. But yes, I assume it must be homophobic.

Oh, yes, still not sure about studies.

ahahah I feel stupid right now... here up North nobody actually cares about the pope and his beliefs/decisions, so you wouldn't have to worry...

in the south, people are too closeminded imo, and therefore more homophobic... not definitely the place for you...:o:
Reply 17
nika91
ahahah I feel stupid right now... here up North nobody actually cares about the pope and his beliefs/decisions, so you wouldn't have to worry...

in the south, people are too closeminded imo, and therefore more homophobic... not definitely the place for you...:o:

haha I never tend to generalize but : Italian, especially Milanese guys are so feminine. Everywhere I look I see a guy, thin as the paper, but feminine like a queen. That is such a turn off. Trust me, no Milano for me. I like Florence ( I would live there, still there is no sea :s-smilie: ), guys are OK. And Genova? What's it like?
Reply 18
Aquarian
haha I never tend to generalize but : Italian, especially Milanese guys are so feminine. Everywhere I look I see a guy, thin as the paper, but feminine like a queen. That is such a turn off. Trust me, no Milano for me. I like Florence ( I would live there, still there is no sea :s-smilie: ), guys are OK. And Genova? What's it like?

alright, I think Florence is exactly the place for you, but it could be still ok somehow... I wouldn't personally know about Genova, but I suppose it's alright as it is in the northern part...:wink:
i suggest you to visit and then decide... where did u live in italy?
Reply 19
nika91
alright, I think Florence is exactly the place for you, but it could be still ok somehow... I wouldn't personally know about Genova, but I suppose it's alright as it is in the northern part...:wink:
i suggest you to visit and then decide... where did u live in italy?

In Catanzaro, Calabria. That's why I like the sea. But, as a Mizrachim Jew, people would stare every now and then. There were few anti jewish people saying : Don't buy into that Jewish shop (my father was a shop keeper). But, my grandmother never forget that Italians never deported her, nor her rabbi husband. I really miss that time, but people were poor. I remember sayings : Autuno ingrassa il povero, meaning the poor ones would eat good only in the autumn.

Latest

Trending

Trending