The Student Room Group

LITA3 AQA A A2 English Literature exam 15th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
xoxoluv
If it is Drama I will be soo happy. I know Streetcar and Doll's House like the back of my hand.

Prose however...:mad: I've only learnt one text in full (Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit) and I think I'm gonna do a couple of extracts. I only really plan on bringing in 2/3 wider readings per question - or less

i done a dolls house to can you let me know how you done revision?
Reply 221
Sad Clown
a technical question- does Chaucer's 'The Miller's Tale' count as prose or poetry? (its written in verse so it resembles an epic like 'Paradise Lost').

Also, anyone got any good prose references? I have only actually read three novels specific to the subject (Birdsong, Color Purple and Enduring Love), but have extracts on Wuthering Heights ans Sense and Sensibility, have studied them and know them quite well (saw the film version of the latter on 4 last night :wink:

5 seems somewhat lacking in comparasion to all the poetry and drama references I have, any ideas?

Poetry. And five would definitely be enough I think - I've got 2/3 in detail and then a few more in not much detail.
Reply 222
Does this look liked enough wider reading to cover both questions to you guys? I've done more but I can't remember everything :s-smilie: If you notice any flaws, please point them out

Prose:

1984 – George Orwell (Modern)
Wise Children – Angela Carter (Modern)
The Color Purple – Alice Walker (Post Modern)
Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte (Victorian)
The Great Gatsby – F. Scott Fitzgerald (Modern)
Emma – Jane Austen (Romanticism)

Drama:

A Streetcar Named Desire – Tennessee Williams (Modern)
Hamlet – William Shakespeare (Renaissance)
A Doll’s House – Henrik Ibsen (Victorian)
Antony & Cleopatra – Shakespeare (Renaissance)
The Importance of Being Earnest – Oscar Wilde (Victorian)

Poetry:

The Franklin’s Tale – Chaucer (Middle English)
Sonnet 18 – Shakespeare (Renaissance)
On My First Sonne – Ben Jonson (Renaissance)
A Romantic Letter (Don John) – Lord Byron (Romanticism)
Love without Hope – Robert Graves (Modern)
A Dedication to My Wife – T.S. Elliot (Modern)
To His Coy Mistress – Andrew Marvell (Restoration)
Red – Ted Hughes (Post Modern)
She Walks In Beauty – Lord Byron (Romanticism)
If Thou – Elizabeth Browning (Victorian)
Reply 223
Hey, could anybody tell me anything significant about the
Restoration
Augustan
and Romantics eras
please, i cant find anything about them ! :/
Reply 224
A.J.A.
Does this look liked enough wider reading to cover both questions to you guys? I've done more but I can't remember everything :s-smilie: If you notice any flaws, please point them out

Prose:

1984 George Orwell (Modern)
Wise Children Angela Carter (Modern)
The Color Purple Alice Walker (Post Modern)
Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte (Victorian)
The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald (Modern)
Emma Jane Austen (Romanticism)

Drama:

A Streetcar Named Desire Tennessee Williams (Modern)
Hamlet William Shakespeare (Renaissance)
A Doll’s House Henrik Ibsen (Victorian)
Antony & Cleopatra Shakespeare (Renaissance)
The Importance of Being Earnest Oscar Wilde (Victorian)

Poetry:

The Franklin’s Tale Chaucer (Middle English)
Sonnet 18 Shakespeare (Renaissance)
On My First Sonne Ben Jonson (Renaissance)
A Romantic Letter (Don John) Lord Byron (Romanticism)
Love without Hope Robert Graves (Modern)
A Dedication to My Wife T.S. Elliot (Modern)
To His Coy Mistress Andrew Marvell (Restoration)
Red Ted Hughes (Post Modern)
She Walks In Beauty Lord Byron (Romanticism)
If Thou Elizabeth Browning (Victorian)

This looks like more than enough to me! Have you read the entirety of all of these, or is some of your prose/drama wider reading from extracts?
Reply 225
I have a few wider reading but im just wondering what types of notes and points should you be taking from the and what kind or qoutes shall we be memorising?

How are you guys doing it one for every theme?
A.J.A.

Prose:

1984 George Orwell (Modern)
Wise Children Angela Carter (Modern)
The Color Purple Alice Walker (Post Modern)
Wuthering Heights Emily Bronte (Victorian)
The Great Gatsby F. Scott Fitzgerald (Modern)
Emma Jane Austen (Romanticism)

Drama:

A Streetcar Named Desire Tennessee Williams (Modern)
Hamlet William Shakespeare (Renaissance)
A Doll’s House Henrik Ibsen (Victorian)
Antony & Cleopatra Shakespeare (Renaissance)
The Importance of Being Earnest Oscar Wilde (Victorian)

Poetry:

The Franklin’s Tale Chaucer (Middle English)
Sonnet 18 Shakespeare (Renaissance)
On My First Sonne Ben Jonson (Renaissance)
A Romantic Letter (Don John) Lord Byron (Romanticism)
Love without Hope Robert Graves (Modern)
A Dedication to My Wife T.S. Elliot (Modern)
To His Coy Mistress Andrew Marvell (Restoration)
Red Ted Hughes (Post Modern)
She Walks In Beauty Lord Byron (Romanticism)
If Thou Elizabeth Browning (Victorian)

You seem extremely well prepared there! Is there any chance that you can give me some ideas for gatsby and a dolls house?
This probably sounds extremely stupid, but is Austen later romantic or victorian? Or something else?
Reply 228
RoseElizabeth
This probably sounds extremely stupid, but is Austen later romantic or victorian? Or something else?

Austen was early 19th century, so I'd go for Romantic.
I have:

Prose
Enduring Love
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
Women in Love
The Color Purple
The Handmaid's Tale
Shipping News
A History of The World in 101/2 Chapters

Drama:
Othello
All My Sons
Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Crucible
Top Girls
'Tis Pity She's a Whore
A View from The Bridge

and way too much poetry!
If anyone wants any quotes or anything from those just let me know :smile:
billet-doux
I have:

Prose
Enduring Love
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
Women in Love
The Color Purple
The Handmaid's Tale
Shipping News

Drama:
Othello
All My Sons
The Crucible
Top Girls
'Tis Pity She's a Whore
A View from The Bridge

and way too much poetry!

Hey, could you give me any ideas/ quotes for the importance of being earnest, a view from the bridge and the color purple and wuthering heights? I hope thats not too much, am feeling a little terrified and unprepared!
Reply 231
billet-doux
I have:

Prose
Enduring Love
Wuthering Heights
Jane Eyre
Women in Love
The Color Purple
The Handmaid's Tale
Shipping News

Drama:
Othello
All My Sons
The Crucible
Top Girls
'Tis Pity She's a Whore
A View from The Bridge

and way too much poetry!

I dont know if you want to PM me but im doing a few the same as me and just wondering what Themes, Important parts and quote you have down for:

1. Wuthering Heights
2. The Colour Purple
3.Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?
4.The Importance of Being Earnest

Reply 232
Anyone got any pointers on how to structure the essay? I've been told there's two ways, one involves analysing one source, then another, compare them, then bring in wider reading. The other is where you compare throughout, dipping into your wider reading as you need it?
RoseElizabeth
Hey, could you give me any ideas/ quotes for the importance of being earnest, a view from the bridge and the color purple and wuthering heights? I hope thats not too much, am feeling a little terrified and unprepared!

A View From The Bridge- Arthur Miller, 1950s drama
"I'm sorry Eddie... I just can't stay here no more. You know I can't"
- Catherine seems to choose her love for Rodolpho over Eddie, who is her uncle. You could tie this into family love etc.

The Importance of Being Earnest- Oscar Wilde, 1890s drama, Victorian
"men often propose for practise"
"I hope you always look at me like that especially when there are other people present"
- presents Gwendolen's love for Jack as being false. She doesn't seem to feel true love for him and is only concerned about the views of others.

The Color Purple- Alice Walker, 1980s novel
"Us kiss and kiss until we can't hardly kiss no more"
- presents homosexual love as a pure, honest emotion. Shug is also Celie's first love and this could show that the bond between females can often be stronger than men and women.

Wuthering Heights- Emily Bronte, Victorian novel
"It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff"
- Cathy is only concerned about social classes and the class difference between her and Heathcliff presents their love as forbidden and to some extent doomed. You could expand on this and talk about context and the important of social class in this era.

"Linton's soul is as different as moonbeam from lightning or frost from fire"
- Bronte shows that Cathy feels separated from Edgar and although they are married, their relationship is not one of union and reciprocal love.

Hope this helps :smile:
05benfra
Anyone got any pointers on how to structure the essay? I've been told there's two ways, one involves analysing one source, then another, compare them, then bring in wider reading. The other is where you compare throughout, dipping into your wider reading as you need it?

Our teacher told us to compare the two texts continually throughout in each point made and then use a third of each page as wider reading.
this guarantees to get 30-40% wider reading in. although, in the end, it comes down to whatever is your natural writing style. :smile:
Holz<3
I dont know if you want to PM me but im doing a few the same as me and just wondering what Themes, Important parts and quote you have down for:

1. Wuthering Heights
2. The Colour Purple
3.Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf?
4.The Importance of Being Earnest

I've posted some quotes for 1. 2. and 4. just above :smile:

Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf- Edward Albee, 1960s drama
I've just noted down a few ideas about the marriage of Martha and George. Despite the fact that they're married, their relationship seems to be quite dysfunctional. George tells Martha that she is chewing her ice cubes "like a cocker spaniel". The animal imagery used by Albee could show the audience that George doesn't respect Martha and constantly wants to put her down. Equally, Martha tells George "that's what I like most about you... your anger". This is the most positive thing she says about him and suggests that she wishes he was more masculine.
Reply 236
05benfra

Anlysis of One then The Other and the comparision at the end.. with wider reading at the end or as you go alone e.g if the tone is similar to something else youve read of the same time period or same theme.
The structure im following is

Intro; Summary of the text
Form/Structure; What the text reveals, affect on the reader
Language; Literacy devices methapors ect... what this reveals
Tone/Atmosphere; Identify the tone how it will be read, what it reveals
Time period; Typicality (maybe wider reading here or as i go along)
Conclusion

Repeat above steps

Comparison; Similarities/differences

Final Conclusion
What's everyone writing about context? :s-smilie: If anyone could give me an example or anything I'd be really grateful because I'm a bit stuck!
05benfra

I usually go for comparison throughout whether this may be language, structure or form, and tag on a bit about my wider reading where it links in. e.g.

Intro + talk about context
Comparison of text 1 + 2 + wider reading (+ context if necessary)
Repeat
Repeat
Conclusion
Reply 239
billet-doux
I've posted some quotes for 1. 2. and 4. just above :smile:

Who's Afraid of Virgina Woolf- Edward Albee, 1960s drama
I've just noted down a few ideas about the marriage of Martha and George. Despite the fact that they're married, their relationship seems to be quite dysfunctional. George tells Martha that she is chewing her ice cubes "like a cocker spaniel". The animal imagery used by Albee could show the audience that George doesn't respect Martha and constantly wants to put her down. Equally, Martha tells George "that's what I like most about you... your anger". This is the most positive thing she says about him and suggests that she wishes he was more masculine.

Thanks alot:smile: Your well prepared.
Have you linked up like your prose or drama with poetry visa versa of the same themes or that have the rought same ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending