The Student Room Group

LITA3 AQA A A2 English Literature exam 15th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
billet-doux
Yes, I'm doing the literature of love. There's just no real way of revising for this exam so I don't know what to do!

Basically this is what I am doing to revise

1) Making notes on all the wider reading texts I am doing. In my notes I make brief notes on
- form
-structure
- language and imagery
- context
- characters (that are relevant to love themes)
- quotes (that I will try to memorise)
- themes of love

2) I am then making brain storms of my main themes of love. These are
- marriage
- meetings
- partings
- filial (parent/family)
- romance
- illicit
- unrequired
- god (very very briefly normally for context; we've been told god won't be a theme)

In the brainstorms I think about 3-4 texts of different genres that deal with that theme that I could talk about if that theme comes up. I'm about

3) Then go through all my wider reading texts and summarise the main points so that they fit onto a notecard per text

4) then lots and lots of PRACTICE QUESTIONS!!

I've basically finished point 1 and done a bit of point 2 now... yeah kind of behind :o:

EDIT: *********, should I add friendship to my themes of love???
Reply 21
lekky
Hey! I did this for my coursework on love and so I'm struggling to get out of the mindset of thinking about it in relation to madness (Blanche's) and think about it more in themes of love. Do you mind having a look at the themes that I've written?

The main themes that I'm relating my texts to are
1) Meetings
2) Partings
3) Marriage
4) Romantic
5) Illicit
6) Filial (Parent/family)
7) unrequited
8) God --- I know the board told us that it won't be a question about religious love, so I just kind of make a brief reference to it, normally in relation to context.

Illicit love Blanche’s husband was homosexual, unable to be open about this due to contemporary society. Her reaction to discovering that he his homosexual, “You disgust me” would be typical of the time period. This leads to his suicide, which starts the decline of her mental health.

Stanley rapes Blanche after her promiscuous past has been revealed (develop)

Romantic love between Stella and Stanley (develop)

Filial love between Stella and Blanche. Despite Blanche’s controlling behaviour, Stella enjoys Blanche’s company and tries to make her happy. Ultimately, Stella cannot believe Blanche’s story of Stanley raping her. (develop)

As you can see I'm kind of failing. I know it's a great text but because I did the theme of mental illness in it for my coursework that;s completely blocking me branching out more. I know the text verywell though which is a plus?

Do you think romantic love between BLanche and Mitch? It's not really romantic though, she is totally using him and knows it (stage directions when she rolls her eyes and says 'do you want to sleep with me tonight.. oh you can't understand him.. what a shame')

Sorry for hyperness, was tired so downed 2 cans of red bull.. they give you wings you know! :p:

Those are really good ones. Another important one is sexual attraction and the importance of sex and beauty. Blanche keeps hiding her failing looks - she doesn't like light, and doesn't see Mitch in the daylight. She lies about how old she is and seems to make a lot of references to her looks. Stanley is another example of physical attraction - Blanche says about him that 'the only thing you can do with a man like that is go to bed with him'.

The position of women also comes out a bit - in the relationship between Stella and Stanley and between Mitch and Blanche - when he finds out about her past he says she's not good enough to take home to his mother - basically, she's good enough to sleep with but not to marry.

Your point on filial love is really good. I think Stella and Blanche have a very interesting relationship. Blanche constantly belittles Stella, calling her her little sister and acting like she isn't able to make her own decisions, always asking Stella to do things for her.

Romantic love between Stella and Stanley - even after the arguments she still goes back to him. I think she really does love him, in spite of everything.

Hope this helps!
I have nothing for unrequited love. Can anyone point me towards something I can get hold of quickly?
Reply 23
d123
Those are really good ones. Another important one is sexual attraction and the importance of sex and beauty. Blanche keeps hiding her failing looks - she doesn't like light, and doesn't see Mitch in the daylight. She lies about how old she is and seems to make a lot of references to her looks. Stanley is another example of physical attraction - Blanche says about him that 'the only thing you can do with a man like that is go to bed with him'.

The position of women also comes out a bit - in the relationship between Stella and Stanley and between Mitch and Blanche - when he finds out about her past he says she's not good enough to take home to his mother - basically, she's good enough to sleep with but not to marry.

Your point on filial love is really good. I think Stella and Blanche have a very interesting relationship. Blanche constantly belittles Stella, calling her her little sister and acting like she isn't able to make her own decisions, always asking Stella to do things for her.

Romantic love between Stella and Stanley - even after the arguments she still goes back to him. I think she really does love him, in spite of everything.

Hope this helps!

Thank you thats great! Just saw that you're off to Glasgow too? Awesome, hopefully see you there :five:
Reply 24
unknownpleasures
I have nothing for unrequited love. Can anyone point me towards something I can get hold of quickly?

Which genre are you wanting? prose/drama/poem?
lekky
Which genre are you wanting? prose/drama/poem?

Anything!
Reply 26
lekky
Thank you thats great! Just saw that you're off to Glasgow too? Awesome, hopefully see you there :five:

Yep, so long as I get the grades! I can't wait, it's such an amazing uni and city!
Reply 27
unknownpleasures

My ones for unrequited love are :

Poetry: Chaucer, The Miller's Tale (Absolon and Alison)
Drama: Tennessee Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Maggie and Brick, and to a lesser extent Big Mama and Big Daddy)
Prose: Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (almost everyone at some point, but Mr Collins and Lizzy is a good example)

I've got others, but that's one example from each genre.
Reply 28
unknownpleasures
Anything!

Ok!

Prose:

Pride and Prejudice - Elizabeth initially rejects Mr Darcy
Jane Eyre - Jane rejects St John Rivers
The Collector (by John Fowles) - Miranda does not love the narrator so he rapes her (basically)

Drama:

Doll's House - Nora discovers she does not love Torvald, their relationship not strong although Torvald maintains he loves her, and leaves
Hamlet - when under his "antic disposition" Hamlet insults Ophelia, implies he never loved her, leads Ophelia to suicide

Poem:

Wendy cope's Strugnell's Sonnets VI
Thomas Hardy To Lizbie Brown

Hope that helps!
Reply 29
d123
My ones for unrequited love are :

Poetry: Chaucer, The Miller's Tale (Absolon and Alison)
Drama: Tennessee Williams, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (Maggie and Brick, and to a lesser extent Big Mama and Big Daddy)
Prose: Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice (almost everyone at some point, but Mr Collins and Lizzy is a good example)
I've got others, but that's one example from each genre.

But Mr Collin's does not love Lizzy either??
Reply 30
Anyone done Hamlet? Please tell me someone has done Hamlet. :p:
Reply 31
lekky
But Mr Collin's does not love Lizzy either??

He thinks he does though, until he moves on to Charlotte. He certainly likes her, whereas she's pretty much repulsed by him. You could also use Wickham and Lizzy (she likes him, at least until she finds out the truth about him and Darcy, but he gets married to her sister) I think.

Maybe a better example would be Boldwood and Bathsheba in Far from the Madding Crowd.
lekky

d123

Rep coming to both of you in the next few days! Not that it's worth much but you know :smile:
Reply 33
d123
He thinks he does though, until he moves on to Charlotte. He certainly likes her, whereas she's pretty much repulsed by him. You could also use Wickham and Lizzy (she likes him, at least until she finds out the truth about him and Darcy, but he gets married to her sister) I think.

Maybe a better example would be Boldwood and Bathsheba in Far from the Madding Crowd.

Fair enough!

Also I refuse to study Hardy prose. Poems? Yes, I love his poetry. I hate this prose. We did the mayor of casterbridge at GCSE... ohmygodkillmenow. Partly what I love about this syllabus, so much freedom to do the texts I LIKE! :biggrin:
Reply 34
lekky
Fair enough!

Also I refuse to study Hardy prose. Poems? Yes, I love his poetry. I hate this prose. We did the mayor of casterbridge at GCSE... ohmygodkillmenow. Partly what I love about this syllabus, so much freedom to do the texts I LIKE! :biggrin:

Haha, everyone I know says that :frown: He's my favourite author! I'm in a minority though I think, most people I've spoken to find him too depressing, which to be honest is probably why I like him. I'm not a fan of books with happy endings!
Reply 35
unknownpleasures
Rep coming to both of you in the next few days! Not that it's worth much but you know :smile:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 36
d123
Haha, everyone I know says that :frown: He's my favourite author! I'm in a minority though I think, most people I've spoken to find him too depressing, which to be honest is probably why I like him. I'm not a fan of books with happy endings!

You must have a melancholy disposition! :p:
Reply 37
Could anyone me with making meaningful analysis about form and structure on drama? I'm really struggling with drama atm....
lekky
Anyone done Hamlet? Please tell me someone has done Hamlet. :p:

Yes!
Reply 39
Does anyone know how fussed they are about the 'through the ages' part?

I was doing a brainstorm on romantic love and was going to use Sonnet 130 AND Much Ado but realised two Shakespeare texts wouldn't be a great plan. So I changed Much Ado to A Streetcar Named Desire but that left me with 2 post modern texts and 1 elizabethan.
Would they have cared do you think?

Quick Reply

Latest