The Student Room Group

LITA3 AQA A A2 English Literature exam 15th June 2010

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
claudia92
are you guys just going to give context about the unseen texts we are given in both questions? or for your wider reading also?

Both, you analyse the context for the unseen text by comparing or contrasting to your wider reading.
Reply 161
A.J.A.
We're supposed to look at how the bolded factors have changed relationships... for example social class is very important in 'Wuthering Heights', it's basically the reason Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship is restricted. However in more modern texts social class is less relevant to the relationships because society has loosened the restrictions of class.

oh right i see, thank you :smile: i was just a bit confused by the wording of that bit in the aqa book. it excludes love of god and i thought that perhaps we were just supposed to analyse the relationships between people rather than their willingness to be patriotic, or their doubt of religion etc. does that make sense? sorry if i've confused you too!!
thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 162
A.J.A.
We're supposed to look at how the bolded factors have changed relationships... for example social class is very important in 'Wuthering Heights', it's basically the reason Cathy and Heathcliff's relationship is restricted. However in more modern texts social class is less relevant to the relationships because society has loosened the restrictions of class.

Just to make sure i've understood you:
If we use the example of religion, would I be right in thinking that it is not a love for/of religion that is important, it the interpretation of how the role of religion in the society has influenced the human love and emotions between the individuals. That right? :smile:
Reply 163
Has anyone got some good quotes for 'The Importance of Being Earnest'? I can't seem to find any online that are actually relevant to the exam :s-smilie:
Reply 164
Narna396
Just to make sure i've understood you:
If we use the example of religion, would I be right in thinking that it is not a love for/of religion that is important, it the interpretation of how the role of religion in the society has influenced the human love and emotions between the individuals. That right? :smile:

Love of Religion could be a theme, but no one seems to be listing that, and the chances of it coming up in the exam are extremely rare, same with 'Patriotic love'.

But Religion as an influence is important when examining wider contexts, you could talk about how King Henry VIII's introduction of The Church of England made divorce 'right' in the eyes of the Church, and how eventually because of this divorce is more acceptable, meaning women have more rights in marriage making the relationship more equal, and more about 'marrying for love'.
Reply 165
Thanks ever so much, I feel much happier about it now. That's really great, thank you :biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 166
does anyone know of any techniques of approaching the unseen texts?
im not very confident about where to start when analysing/ what to look for? thankss xx :confused:
Reply 167
chibil
does anyone know of any techniques of approaching the unseen texts?
im not very confident about where to start when analysing/ what to look for? thankss xx :confused:

Reed the texts through first at a steady pace in order to grasp the themes/ideas within it. Then, perhaps annotate key literary devices such as enjambment, juxtaposition, metaphors, repetition, dialogue, assonance etc. (obviously depending on what genre we are given). Basically, just write all around the text! It'll help to formulate your ideas :smile:
Also, don't forget to be considering language, form and structure all the time and also context and any wider reading you've got.
The most important thing to think about is comparing the two extracts (i think it should be 60-70% of the essay on the two texts- someone may have to correct me on this!). Furthermore, remember to consider the context of the texts and how a modern reader may interpret the ideas differently.
Finally, offering up another interpretation of the texts is important. So, suggest your own idea and then say ... "However, others may interpret this as...".

Hope this is of some help!
Reply 168
How much detail do we need to know the literary periods/movements in?
HOW'S EVERYONE REVISING FOR THIS EXAM- GOTHIC OR PASTORAL, JUST GENERAL TIPS :grin:
Reply 170
With language form and structure, what are all the possible things that you could mention?
a technical question- does Chaucer's 'The Miller's Tale' count as prose or poetry? (its written in verse so it resembles an epic like 'Paradise Lost').

Also, anyone got any good prose references? I have only actually read three novels specific to the subject (Birdsong, Color Purple and Enduring Love), but have extracts on Wuthering Heights ans Sense and Sensibility, have studied them and know them quite well (saw the film version of the latter on 4 last night :wink:

5 seems somewhat lacking in comparasion to all the poetry and drama references I have, any ideas?
Reply 172
Sad Clown
a technical question- does Chaucer's 'The Miller's Tale' count as prose or poetry? (its written in verse so it resembles an epic like 'Paradise Lost').

Also, anyone got any good prose references? I have only actually read three novels specific to the subject (Birdsong, Color Purple and Enduring Love), but have extracts on Wuthering Heights ans Sense and Sensibility, have studied them and know them quite well (saw the film version of the latter on 4 last night :wink:

5 seems somewhat lacking in comparasion to all the poetry and drama references I have, any ideas?

I think 'The Miller's Tale' is classed as a poem.

...Pride and Prejudice is great for marriage and devotion quotes and The Crowded Street (Holtby) is good for gender values and marriage.
Also, Gatsby isn't too long and there's loads you can include... society, despair, devotion, obsession, jealousy etc. :smile:
claudia92
With language form and structure, what are all the possible things that you could mention?

Language:
-Lexis (romantic words, dramatic, dark, sombre? how does this contribute to the tone/mood?)
-Semantic fields (similar to above, good to show an awareness. point these out- 'spices, perfume, gold, silver'- a semantic field of opulence, luxury, for example)
-Imagery (figurative language, metaphor/simile, personification, symbolism)

Structure:
-caesura
-enjambment
-rhythm/rhyme (meter)
-(for drama) acts/scenes, is there any resultant dramtic irony, sense of omniscience, audience awareness that the characters don't have? this one is more genre specific.

Form:
-narrative voice
-chronological sequencing (how is the idea of 'time' used?)
-characters
-pathos (how do you feel about the characters? do you sympathise with them?)
-consider context, how that has influenced the author's choices (eg Andrew Marvell 'To his Coy Mistress', in the post-puritan restoration period writing was much more candid and satirical following the repressive theatrical censorship of the puritans).

Hope this helped.
Narna396
I think 'The Miller's Tale' is classed as a poem.

...Pride and Prejudice is great for marriage and devotion quotes and The Crowded Street (Holtby) is good for gender values and marriage.
Also, Gatsby isn't too long and there's loads you can include... society, despair, devotion, obsession, jealousy etc. :smile:

you think? argh its annoying, it says its a 'story' but if they consider it a poem and the first question is on prose i won't get any credit for it. apparently AQA say the first questio wont be on poetry, so you see why im frustrated.

hmm i considered pride and prejudice, I shall look into it. I dont want to go too Austen/ victorian heavy though. lots of the specimen papers entailed very contemporary, 20th century pieces.
Reply 175
Sad Clown
you think? argh its annoying, it says its a 'story' but if they consider it a poem and the first question is on prose i won't get any credit for it. apparently AQA say the first questio wont be on poetry, so you see why im frustrated.

hmm i considered pride and prejudice, I shall look into it. I dont want to go too Austen/ victorian heavy though. lots of the specimen papers entailed very contemporary, 20th century pieces.

Yeah I see what your saying. I've just looked it up via google and it seems to be classed as a poem. I think we should double check with our teachers tomorrow though :smile:

Hmm for AS we did the Victorians and so I guess AQA aren't lucky to focus too heavily on it this year. Well you've got Enduring Love, how about Captain Corelli's Mandolin (de Bernieres) ? Or The Kite Runner? We studied that this year and there's a lot than can be said about companionship and duty. Even if you just collected a few extracts together, it might be worth it :biggrin:
Reply 176
IVE GOT AN IDEA!

Everyone right poems and the theme and typicality of the poem
Or what other poem is similar to it.

From this everyone can make grids for revision
20 Hours Ago 16:45 (A.J.A.)
Has anyone got some good quotes for 'The Importance of Being Earnest'? I can't seem to find any online that are actually relevant to the exam

"The only way to behave to a woman is to make love to her, if she is pretty, and to some one else, if she is plain"

an example of superficial love?
hope this helps
A.J.A.
Has anyone got some good quotes for 'The Importance of Being Earnest'? I can't seem to find any online that are actually relevant to the exam :s-smilie:

"The only way to behave to a woman is to make love to her, if she is pretty, and to some one else, if she is plain"

an example of superficial love?
hope this helps

(2nd attempt as new to this stuff) :smile:
Narna396
Yeah I see what your saying. I've just looked it up via google and it seems to be classed as a poem. I think we should double check with our teachers tomorrow though :smile:

Hmm for AS we did the Victorians and so I guess AQA aren't lucky to focus too heavily on it this year. Well you've got Enduring Love, how about Captain Corelli's Mandolin (de Bernieres) ? Or The Kite Runner? We studied that this year and there's a lot than can be said about companionship and duty. Even if you just collected a few extracts together, it might be worth it :biggrin:

sounds like a plan. I just realised, i underestimated myself- ive also read rider haggard's 'She'- good one for the sublime image of love; 'demonic lovers' and the portrayal of a femme fatale.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending