The Student Room Group

State Street Summer Internship

Hi,
Re: Global Markets
Has anyone else applied and heard back? It would also be great to hear feedback from anyone who has been on the program in the past.
Many Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a call on friday for an interview with them. They didnt specify for global markets, which is what I applied for, they said they would decide and see what I'm better suited for!
Are you not interning in a BB for the summer Jibzy? I though you where in your second year of university :s-smilie:...
Reply 3
Aks-1
I got a call on friday for an interview with them. They didnt specify for global markets, which is what I applied for, they said they would decide and see what I'm better suited for!

Ok i guess they have started. Anyway what day is your interview scheduled for?
Still expecting that call.
the application online was very basic. I dont see why i shouldnt be called.
neway Goodluck.
Jibzy
neway Goodluck.

Maybe b/c they had better applicants? :shrugs:
Reply 5
I was gonna say... I smelt a wee bit of arrogance coming from Jibzy's comments!
Reply 6
Jibzy
neway Goodluck.

My interview is tomorrow morning. Yeah the application was very basic, I've been told the interview will be too. They just want to "get to know us" informally. I only got the call late friday evening so...
Reply 7
Aks-1
My interview is tomorrow morning. Yeah the application was very basic, I've been told the interview will be too. They just want to "get to know us" informally. I only got the call late friday evening so...

oh ok. is it a telphone interview? or campus stuff?
i got an interview with them this friday. AKs-1, could you tell me what kind of questions they asked you? is it entirely competency questions?
Reply 9
According to HR, Useless State Street are only interviewing and recruiting "London candidates". Never heard this before. Ridiculous! What ever happened to just hiring the best candidates irrespective of location? If Goldman can do it, why cant little state street?

Rant over.
Isn't Essex part of the Greater London area?

I'm pretty sure they can't 'discriminate' against a candidate b/c of his/her location within the UK, so perhaps it was just an excuse they fed you (i.e. you had a poor app, or they didn't want to interview you as they had better candidates) :shrugs:
Reply 11
manchild007
Isn't Essex part of the Greater London area?

I'm pretty sure they can't 'discriminate' against a candidate b/c of his/her location within the UK, so perhaps it was just an excuse they fed you (i.e. you had a poor app, or they didn't want to interview you as they had better candidates)

My school is in EXETER. you idiot. EXETER is not in LONDON.
well done on the cheeky comment.
and your suggestions dont apply to me.
Reply 12
Jibzy

Maybe you're just not as good a candidate as you think you are. To suggest that your application can't have had flaws, or that there were no stronger candidates than you is ridiculous.
Reply 13
I've never seen such cheek on TSR... Hilarious arrogance and foul-mouthed rudeness here from you, Jibzy.
And I'm sure State Street take on interns in non-London Universities cos I got an offer from them last summer... So maybe, they just didn't want to tell you that you weren't up to standards required. who knows?
Jibzy

Yes but your location (i.e. where you live) is in London - I'm pretty certain that it is illegal for companies to openly discriminate based on your university (unless of course if going to a London university is helpful in terms of logistics etc).

There was no cheeky comment intended on my part - I was just suggesting that maybe your application wasn't good enough when compared to others (I mean, you have no summer internships secured for this summer in your second year, nor are you at a 'target' university for such positions). I mean others (such as the poster above) have gotten offers despite not going to a London university, so one can reasonably assume they fobbed you off as you were a poor applicant.

It can always be a possibility, no matter how good one is :smile:
I'm pretty certain that it is illegal for companies to openly discriminate based on your university

It isn't even remotely illegal to do this. But it's an academic discussion because State Street don't do this. I know someone from Oxford who had an interview with them. They just fobbed Jibzy off, because in all probability, he comes of as a massive douchebag on his applications too.
Redeyejedi
It isn't even remotely illegal to do this. But it's an academic discussion because State Street don't do this. I know someone from Oxford who had an interview with them. They just fobbed Jibzy off, because in all probability, he comes of as a massive douchebag on his applications too.

Oh really?

I thought it was illegal to do so openly, but behind closed doors obviously, it was perhaps another matter. Although this is based on my experience with the HR at one of the IB's - they were giving an open presentation about joining the firm and were asked by someone in the audience if they recruit based on university (or at least have some bias towards particular institutions). They straight-away replied no, and went along the usual 'its the applicant we care about and university has nothing to do with it' line etc. But in private (i.e. smaller group discussions), they all acknowledged that there is a bias in selection for the usual (LSE, Cambridge, Warwick etc etc).

Thanks for straightening it out though :smile:
Oh really?

Actually. You're right. I was being a retard. Though not direct discrimination, it still falls under 'indirect' forms of discrimination.
Redeyejedi
Actually. You're right. I was being a retard. Though not direct discrimination, it still falls under 'indirect' forms of discrimination.

I think Jibzy has his answer in that case...
Hello. I have my final interview with Statestreet next week. I applied for the
2014 Summer internship. I'm doing a masters in Economics Accounting and Finance at Bristol so I don't think they recruit based on where you are currently living or whether you went to Oxbridge.

Anyway, can anyone share their experiences please ie face-to-face interviews.

Thank you in advance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending