The Student Room Group

mPhys at Nottingham, Sheffield or Bristol?

Hey,

First time posting here so please don't be too harsh if I ask something obvious or stupid :P.

Info about me:

- Basically I have my 3 offers to study mPhys at Nottingham (AAB), Sheffield (AAB) and Bristol (AAB, A in physics).

- I might be looking to change to either theoretical physics or maths and physics if I go to each of the universitys.

- Really hoping to get A*AAB come results day (A* in maths and B in F. maths)

My dilemma:

I have no idea which university to pick :confused: ! , this is the impression I got when I visited each of them -

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheffield -

Pro's -
- Really nice, clean, modern city.
- Fantastic accomodation.
- 24/7 library and great facilities.

Con's -
- University in the middle of the city, not a campus etc.

Nottingham -

Pro's -
- Lovely campus, good "feel" to the university.
- Good student union and good facilites.

Con's -
- City seemed pretty average, felt like a small birmingham :P.
- Average accommodation, didn't seem too good.

Bristol -

Pro's -
- Seemed quite prestigious
- Good city, felt independant and different

Con's -
- Accommodation seemed pretty poor

Basically I want to know anything about them all: advice, experience, things I might have missed?

Also where can I find employment statistics etc?

I might update this a little if I think of anything else :smile:.

Thanks for any help in advance,

~Tayla13
Reply 1
sheffield ranks highly for physics but it's not got as much prestige as bristol, but bristol is weaker in physics than sheffield or nottingham. IMO if you're going for the quality of course alone it would be probably be sheffield and then probably nottingham. if you're going for prestige then probably bristol and nottingham. nottingham has a good mix of the two so you might wanna consider that.
Reply 2
depends on your future plans aswell. If you want to go into work outside of acadaemia like in banks etc then it might be better to go to nottingham or bristol as it ranks more highly with employers and most employers won't check how highly your uni is ranked in that subject but how it ranks overall. but for academics like going onto research and doing PhD's etc your probably better off in sheffield or nottingham.
Reply 3
Fat-Love
depends on your future plans aswell. If you want to go into work outside of acadaemia like in banks etc then it might be better to go to nottingham or bristol as it ranks more highly with employers and most employers won't check how highly your uni is ranked in that subject but how it ranks overall. but for academics like going onto research and doing PhD's etc your probably better off in sheffield or nottingham.

When I looked Sheffield was higher in League tables in comparison to Nottingham overall?

Does this not directly equate to prestige? :confused: .
Reply 4
Tayla13
When I looked Sheffield was higher in League tables in comparison to Nottingham overall?

Does this not directly equate to prestige? :confused: .

oh was it? ah maybe it is more prestigious than nottingham. I just don't hear it's name being thrown around a lot these days. i personally would go with sheffield but it's about what you think is best for you.
Reply 5
Nottingham has fallen in the most of the rankings during the last few years (according to what I´ve checked)
Reply 6
Nottingham all the way hahahaaaa <3
Reply 7
Merlinn
Nottingham has fallen in the most of the rankings during the last few years (according to what I´ve checked)

Looking at your choices you may be a little biased... :p: .
Reply 8
Tayla13
Looking at your choices you may be a little biased... :p: .

Yep, I declined offer from Nottingham also because of its latest rankings in the area I want to study :smile:
I have the same dilema but for MChem??? I don't know what to do cause I love each of the Uni's for different reasons and there's hardly anything to pick between them as in Quality of University?? I really don't know what to do as we have to decide in a few weeks :frown:
Reply 10
I have the same dilemma. except not bristol. I've whittled it down to nottingham or sheffield. but now i'm stuck. because i like them both for different reasons. it's really tough.
Reply 11
Merlinn
Yep, I declined offer from Nottingham also because of its latest rankings in the area I want to study :smile:

What rankings do you use?

Also what would people say is the most "prestigious" University out of the three, and which one is looked upon most favourably by employers?
Reply 12
Tayla13
What rankings do you use?

Also what would people say is the most "prestigious" University out of the three, and which one is looked upon most favourably by employers?

Times and Guardian rankings...

for my subject and I think even overall Sheffield is ranked few places higher than Nottingham, however, this does not really matter...

Supposely Nottingham is still better known within employers, but is steadily slipping down in the rankings so question is how long it will be like this...

Also, I liked Sheffield much more as a city :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending