The Student Room Group

Nottingham V Southampton medical school

I have applied to both and received offers. I am currently deciding which one to firm and made this thread just to get peoples opinions about the universities in general and if your a med student at these universities or student it would be really useful if you can also write a bit about your experience . I have visited both a couple of times and I really like both- that’s why I am having hard time deciding.

Thanks in advance.
I'm guessing this is for BM5? This might help you - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=17126225#post17126225

You should come to Soton. We'll make it awesome :ahee:
That's a tough decision. I loved both and applied to both, and got rejected by both!

The Soton students seemed a lot more friendly and down-to-earth, and there was more of a buzz around the campus. But personally I would say that Nottingham just edges Soton, because the hospital is right beside the campus, and they still do DISSECTION :smile:
Nottingham!!! Well thats what i finally decided... lol Nah, they both seemed great but i loved Notts, the campus, med area, course, friendlines etc etc...

All personal preference though!! (but if you opt for Notts, then do it quickly because accommodation is first come first served and has been open for a while now...)

Maybe see you in Notts next year...!
Def soton. They've just had a brand new building built, the hospitals are massive and there's 3 of them. The uni campus itself is beautiful (there are ducks on the lawn, how I miss those ducks) with lots of green space and a river that runs through the campus. The uni has it's own nightclub which turns into a cheap cinema. The teaching's really good. You can go to Bournemouth beach in the summer when the weather's nice. Ramble over - main message: Southampton is generally awesome :smile:
Reply 5
i had to make this decision last year - bm6 vs the cert sci course. ( iwas very lucky cos notts gave me a changed course offer after my interview but then when the results cameo ut cert sci offered me a place but i chose bm6 because i live in soton and it was cheaper for me to stay in soton as wel as personal reasons). if i could have my time again i would choose NOTTS for sure! they do full body dissection and their BMedSci is worth a couple of points more than soton's as soton's is newly established so more point on the MTAS form. I preferred Notts more in general - have you seen the clinical skills facilities at both cos Notts far outweighs soton by miles. QMC is a lot nicer than this new life sciences building anyway. Notts have a much better social life - their medsoc is more active and they do stuff like bedpush where you run around in scrubs raising money for charity. Soton's medsoc isn't as good and they odnt organise anything for freshers either - they barely organise anything decent and if it is it is overpriced. The medical library in Notts is better- the health science library in soton is **** - not as impressive IMO. Southampton as a city is boring and there is not a lot to do - everyone bangs on about jesters but it is horrible. Notts has all sorts going n and is more culturally diverse and what about the pool and swans in notts. Oh i wish i chose notts now...

Obviously it is a personal decision but it depends on you and what you want. If you want a decent experience i would say notts - it's more studenty and has a lot more to offer and people turn places like kcl, barts, georges to go to notts...

Latest

Trending

Trending