The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Grades.
Reply 2
"I'm not slating these unis, I'm just calling them poor"

LOL. Maybe it's grades, environment or specific courses only offered at these unis.
Reply 3
Mate you're in year 12 stop posting ****
Reply 4
Poor as in literally financially weak or academically "poor"?

I'm guessing (for either meaning of your question) that because of A level grade inflation so many people get As and Bs at A level that the highest 30 or 40 unis are already filled with those kinds of people. I doubt that you would see AAA students picking unis that you mentioned, but someone with CCC might have little other options, as the more highly ranked universities are very competitive and people with grades between AAA-BBB apply there. Also, even if your grades were adequate, you might end up not getting any offers for whatever reason, which might force you to pick the clearing route which could also end up in you choosing one of those universities. Other reasons might include location, job, inability to afford accommodation thus have to stay at home or any other reasonable factor.

Either way, you very much are slating those unis and the students. Just to point that out to you.
I am at what you would call a ''poor uni'' I suppose. Well I love the course, the teaching is exellent on my course, the social life is amazing, and I've met some amazing people.

So, basically, learn what you're talking about and then come back when you're old enough to give an opinion without parental consent.
Reply 6
Maybe they like aspects of the university which have nothing to do with league tables, such as location (possibly distance from home), social life, they like the campus or university buildings, they like the social life or societies, it's a rare course, they just like the course itself etc etc etc. Who knows? And why does it concern you so?
Reply 7
My uni isn't great. But its one of the best for my subject.
A degree from there will do me fine.
by calling them 'poor' you are instantly slating them.
at the end of the day people have loads of different reasons for picking a uni and some that may in your opinion seem 'poor' may be really good for certain subjects.
it seems you arent even at uni anyway, so you clearly cant make a judgement about certain unis when you dont even know what one is like yourself.
Reply 9
The uni I'm attending in September isn't highly rated, and it's only "middle rated" for my subject, but when I auditioned and met some of the subject leaders, I was extremely impressed, by one lecturer in particular, plus, I want to go into teaching my chosen disciplin and have a high standard of private education along side my degree (when I achieve it) so really it doesn't matter greatly what uni I go to. Also, I'm a firm believer that in a lot of cases degrees are what the students make of them, just as much as the university they come from. Also, I currently teach in the localy and wanted to be able to continue this while studying. Also, my uni is currently having masses of money pumped into refurbing, the facilities for my course are already excellent, and soon they'll be even better!
Gemma :)!
I am at what you would call a ''poor uni'' I suppose. Well I love the course, the teaching is exellent on my course, the social life is amazing, and I've met some amazing people.

So, basically, learn what you're talking about and then come back when you're old enough to give an opinion without parental consent.

noone said "poor" unis werent great fun i dont think.
nonetheless, a degree from one of the unis mentioned would make a career in the area a massive uphill struggle, meaning, to most, it would be pointless.
Reply 11
Because they can't get into good unis. Why else?
Reply 12
jo62
Because they can't get into good unis. Why else?

I didn't have any trouble getting into a "good" uni, but thanks for your input.
If not top five or so there's no point going
For some people, the course is perfect for what they want to do - York St. John is great for teaching because it's an old teaching college, but it's not a great university.

For others - for my friends, anyway - it's the obvious choice. They are being forced into university, and can't get into a higher-level university, so go for those. Some people also genuinely love the course and department and location, too - but it's still the best of the options available, espec. when you're being essentially 'forced' into going to uni.

And to know how to use apostrophes correctly! :p:
Gemma :)!

You declined liverpool for liverpool hope :wtf:
Dnator
Mate you're in year 12 stop posting ****

lol so true wait till he realises how tough applying is
Tsukuyomi
You declined liverpool for liverpool hope :wtf:

Yup :smile: & would have been able to get into Liverpool easily as well :smile:
Jeez even I know the answer to this.
Courses - Some courses are at specific Unis, which may not be deemed good generally but good for that course
Grades - Not everyone is capable of A*/As, but they want to better themself in anyway possible by going to a Uni.
Competition - Especially in the next year the number of applicants are getting higher and higher, to get into a Uni nevermind a good one is difficult enough as it is.

Do your homework OP.
Bit offensive this post isn't it......

Not all of us can get into a prestigous uni. They usually want AAA, AAB, ABB etc.......

I'm going to a metropolitan university in september who want BCC.........I don't mind that it's a 'poor uni', because it's in a great location, the uni looks good, and just because I don't get decent enough grades to get into a 'great' uni, doesn't mean that I don't deserve the chance to create a better future for myself anyway.........

a degree is a degree. :shrug:

Latest

Trending

Trending