The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes it's prestigious, but ranking "prestige" is a useless endeavour. Go to a university that suits you as a person, not one to which you can assign a certain level of prestige to brush your ego.

(Note that the statement isn't directed specifically at the OP, but this general theme of prestige is prevalent across all of the forums)

/thread
Reply 2
I know prestige doesn't matter in the end and it's about fit, but I was just curious. Penn seems like a great fit, anyways. It's urban, Ivy, and has a ton of international students. It lacks the whole stuffy traditionalism of the T3 Ivies.
Reply 3
Yes.

Nothing more to add really.

I am biased towards economics though.
Reply 4
Yeah. I applied there this year and was rejected (got accepted to Harvard, but just goes to show that it's very selective). I agree with you that the urbanness is a pull factor -Philidelphia looks pretty cool- and on its lack of stuffiness compared to other ivies - but it's got a good bit of history itself too.
Yes, indeed.
Reply 6
TimeDivided09
Does it have the reputable international recognition that is shared by other universities like Harvard, Oxbridge and Sorbonne?
And I don't just mean Wharton too, but the whole university.

Wharton is semi-well known outside the US.
Outside the US, UPenn is not particularly well know and certainly would
not be as well known as Harvard or Oxbridge or even Stanford or Dartmouth.
Reply 7
Dartmouth, really?
Reply 8
flugestuge
It is well known in the US.

Wharton is semi-well known outside the US.
Outside the US, UPenn is not particularly well known
and certainly would not be as well known as Harvard or Oxbridge or even Stanford or Dartmouth.

Agreed.
Reply 9
Where I'm from, UPenn is a lot more recognized than Dartmouth, but more importantly, who cares?
If UPenn isn't prestigious, then no university is.
Baltimoron
If UPenn isn't prestigious, then no university is.

We are talking of international recognition, not whether your fellow students in the UK know of it.
UPenn might be well known in Maryland, but it is virtually unknown outside the US.
Even Johns Hopkins is better known outside the US (due to its biomedical/medical strengths )

The reputation of anything other than the very best universities (Harvard, Yale, Princeton ) does not travel well outside the country.
Consider the case of York, UK or the School of Mines, Paris.
They too are considered good universities in their countries, but only an Anglophile or a Francophile respectively would know of it outside their countries.
UPenn also has the dubious benefit of being in one of the most crime-ridden areas in the US.

America's Top College Neighborhoods for Crime
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/article/15-worst-college-crime-areas/875986/

Crime map of U Penn
http://www.ucrime.com/pa/university+of+pennsylvania
Reply 13
Yes, I would consider UPenn as prestigious.
Reply 14
flugestuge
UPenn also has the dubious benefit of being in one of the most crime-ridden areas in the US.

America's Top College Neighborhoods for Crime
http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/article/15-worst-college-crime-areas/875986/

Crime map of U Penn
http://www.ucrime.com/pa/university+of+pennsylvania

UC Berkeley is 4th on this list.

So I shouldn apply there for graduate studies?
Reply 15
danny111

it's mostly laptops and bicycles that get stolen on campus. plus there are lotsa hobos too although they are generally harmless. it's still got some really good programmes so i don't think you should let that deter you from applying there. at least, it's not stopping me :smile: you just have to be extra careful with your possessions.
Reply 16
danny111

UC Berkeley = the KING of graduate studies. Definitely apply if you're considering it. I think they have the most graduate programs in the US ranked in the top 10 (yes, even more than Harvard). Check out the US News rankings:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools

Examples: 1st in Computer Science, 1st in Psychology, 1st in English, 2nd in Biological Sciences, 3rd in Engineering, 1st in Chemistry, 2nd in Maths, 5th in Physics and the list goes on.
Reply 17
flugestuge

I've crunched the data before, and Penn is tied with Yale for being the 3rd most dangerous Ivy. Columbia and Harvard are #1 and #2, respectively.

Penn comes in #6 for sexual assault, #1 for robbery, #3 for aggravated assault, and #8 for burglary.

Speaking as someone who has a habit of attending college in exceedingly dangerous cities, it's really not that big of a deal if you're street savvy. Philly has a lot to offer.
University of Pennsylvania is quite prestigious, but it isn't as prestigious (ofc, not that it matters) as Oxbridge or HYP in terms of international recognition.

My Maths teacher taught at UPenn & most of my classmates were like 'huh, never heard of it'. (Iceland)

So it is extremely prestigious in the US, but not as easily recognized outside of the US.
While I am at it. I want to toss another one into the ring;
Columbia University.

Is it well known outside the US?

Latest

Trending

Trending