The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ef8888
I also got an offer by this route so it is definitely do-able! :smile:

Hey, where was your offer from?
I'm hoping to apply in my undergrad year too.
Peninsula, Exeter, BSMS and Soton or maybe Glasgow/Newcastle if my UKCAT goes well.
Original post by eaglo602
got a 728 UKCAT, wrote a much better personal statement, and I felt like I had an amazing interview (when I went through what I said for the interview with a doctor I know, he told me my answers were very good)
I still got a rejection from Peninsula. I feel like death.

Wow, that's annoying. Was this while you applied during your undergrad year?
I'm hoping to do the same :/
Reply 82
Original post by blackhoney123
Hey, where was your offer from?
I'm hoping to apply in my undergrad year too.
Peninsula, Exeter, BSMS and Soton or maybe Glasgow/Newcastle if my UKCAT goes well.

Got one from Imperial! :smile: Good luck with your application.
Reply 83
I got into Peninsula by Applying in my first year at Warwick! Starting Medicine in September, it does work! :smile:
Reply 84
Random question, did the people that got an offer through this route this year stay on the old fee scheme or have to start the new fee scheme??
Reply 85
Original post by ef8888
Random question, did the people that got an offer through this route this year stay on the old fee scheme or have to start the new fee scheme??

I've stayed on the old fee scheme, but if youre planning on doing it next year, you'll probably be on the new one :frown:
Reply 86
Original post by airdoc
I've stayed on the old fee scheme, but if youre planning on doing it next year, you'll probably be on the new one :frown:

How have you stayed on the old fee scheme if you're moving universities? My daughter has done the same thing and will move to the new fee scheme in September.

My understanding is that if you switch courses in the same uni you stay on the current fees as a continuing student, but starting a new degree elsewhere you're the same as all the other new students.
Reply 87
Original post by airdoc

Oh really?? I got an offer this year as well and they told me I have to go by the new fee scheme?? How did you manage to be on the old scheme????
Reply 88
Original post by Mother2
How have you stayed on the old fee scheme if you're moving universities? My daughter has done the same thing and will move to the new fee scheme in September.

My understanding is that if you switch courses in the same uni you stay on the current fees as a continuing student, but starting a new degree elsewhere you're the same as all the other new students.

That's the answer I got from a lot of people and I'm starting the new fee scheme as well. But airdoc was from Warwick and he got an offer from peinsula, so that's why I'm really confused.......
Reply 89
Mega thanks for this super thread. Very useful indeed :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Mother2

The Medical school I'm going to be starting only wants us to pay the old fees in this instance..

Original post by ef8888
Oh really?? I got an offer this year as well and they told me I have to go by the new fee scheme?? How did you manage to be on the old scheme????

Same answer as above :smile:
Reply 91
Original post by Mother2

Hi, I'm in the same situation as airdoc and I'm staying on the old fee scheme too. The first offer i received was from peninsula, and they told me that I'd still be on the old scheme. However I later decided to accept another offer from a different medical school, and I just emailed the medical school admissions office about this and they confirmed that I'd continue to pay the old fees. I don't know if it's still possible to change the amount of fees your daughter will be paying, but it might be worth contacting the university to make sure!
Reply 92
Original post by DoNoHarm
Hi, I'm in the same situation as airdoc and I'm staying on the old fee scheme too. The first offer i received was from peninsula, and they told me that I'd still be on the old scheme. However I later decided to accept another offer from a different medical school, and I just emailed the medical school admissions office about this and they confirmed that I'd continue to pay the old fees. I don't know if it's still possible to change the amount of fees your daughter will be paying, but it might be worth contacting the university to make sure!

Many thanks for the info. It's worth her asking at least - though it took an age for her to get the Student Finance people to accept the change!
Reply 93
Do they still look at ur A level results if u are studying first year in uni and applying for medicine? thx
Reply 94
Original post by DoNoHarm

Hello thank you for your reply, I will email my medical school to double confirm. Do you mind me asking which medical school it is that you will be going?
Reply 95
Original post by ef8888
Hello thank you for your reply, I will email my medical school to double confirm. Do you mind me asking which medical school it is that you will be going?

You're welcome! and no I don't mind at all, I'm going to Leicester medical school. When I emailed them they replied quite quickly and I had no trouble whatsoever, they just wanted confirmation that I didn't drop out of uni during the year, and that was it - so I completed the year and sat all the exams, in this way you're considered a continuing student even though you change uni/degree! hope it helps!
Hiya, what about if your resitting some A-level exams during your first year doing biomedical science. Which unis allow this and would it be better to just complete the degree first?
Reply 97
Original post by BiologicalFreak
Hiya, what about if your resitting some A-level exams during your first year doing biomedical science. Which unis allow this and would it be better to just complete the degree first?

My daughter did this though I don't think she'd recommend it as she had to retake Chemistry at the same time as uni exams. She was able to apply to Soton, Peninsula and the uni she'd missed her offer at (this was due to special circumstances though). You would need to double check on policies though as the unis can change what they'll accept from year to year.

However it worked for her and she got 2 offers, so it is doable. In retrospect though I think she'd have preferred a gap year.
Original post by Mother2
My daughter did this though I don't think she'd recommend it as she had to retake Chemistry at the same time as uni exams. She was able to apply to Soton, Peninsula and the uni she'd missed her offer at (this was due to special circumstances though). You would need to double check on policies though as the unis can change what they'll accept from year to year.

However it worked for her and she got 2 offers, so it is doable. In retrospect though I think she'd have preferred a gap year.

Thanks for your reply.

Did her then current uni help her with the application cycle. That's what I'm worried about because I like the uni I'm going to and I wouldn't want them to think badly of me.
Reply 99
Hiya guys, with the old fees scheme, i'm exactly the same as airdoc (a close friend from Warwick uni who I reapplied with as it turns out! haha). When I got the offer I contacted Soton regarding the fees and they confirmed it for me that I'm eligible to pay the old fees rather than a new one as I'm still technically a continuing university student albeit I'm transferring unis.

Latest

Trending

Trending