The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

GCSE results good enough for UCL

Hey, i would really love to study english at UCL, but i don't think i stand a chance. I know it's really competitive, especially for english, so would my GCSE's results be a major disadvantage. I got 4a's, 5b's and 1 c. I got an a in english language and literature, however i got a c in maths (i was in set three, meaning we had no choice but to do the foundation paper, in which the highest i could achieve was a c)

For my a level results i'm studying english literature, biology, art and law, and i'm aiming for 3a's next year. Hypothetically, providing i did get 3 a's, would my application even be considered in UCL, or would i simply not be given a chance based on my GCSE results.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know what it's like for English because I'm applying for physics but for physics my GCSE results seemed to be completely ignored, physics is much less popular than english though so it might not be the same. A friend of mine who's also applying for physics applied to Oxford though, he did well at GCSE, but I wouldn't call 2A*s, 7As and 2Bs 'Oxford' grades and he got an interview (he didn't get accepted, but apparently he completely fell apart in the exam he had to do!). It's still physics but, it's also Oxford.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Go for it. Especially if you get As this year. Although my GCSEs were better than yours (4 A*s, 6 As) I applied for a course where loads of the people (in my interview group at least) came from private schools and had been doing the subject since GCSE (whereas I've never properly studied it) and I expect they all got like, straight A*s. They obviously liked me enough to overlook the fact that I hadn't studied the subject and my GCSEs weren't as good as everyone else's. If you show that you are the academic equal of someone who did really well at GCSE and that you have a true passion for the subject, I'm sure it's worth applying.
Reply 3
UCL is so popular that it's almost a lottery to get offered a place anyway - a friend with 6A*6A got rejected because there was so much competition, yet people have got offers for so much less. Just try it, get in there early though. You'll have a shot if you focus and are enthusiastic!
Reply 4
Thumper0693
Hey, i would really love to study english at UCL, but i don't think i stand a chance. I know it's really competitive, especially for english, so would my GCSE's results be a major disadvantage. I got 4a's, 5b's and 1 c. I got an a in english language and literature, however i got a c in maths (i was in set three, meaning we had no choice but to do the foundation paper, in which the highest i could achieve was a c)

For my a level results i'm studying english literature, biology, art and law, and i'm aiming for 3a's next year. Hypothetically, providing i did get 3 a's, would my application even be considered in UCL, or would i simply not be given a chance based on my GCSE results.

All I can say is that in UCL, for every 30 applicants for English, only 1 recieves a place to study
Reply 5
If you get good AS results, I'd go for it.

I got 3 Cs at AS but got an offer. (albeit a much less competitive course)
Reply 6
*Points to spoiler* ?
Although for English it'd be much tougher..
Reply 7
xSkyFire
*Points to spoiler* ?

Yeah, but you basically raped you're A-levels. It overshadows your gcse's completely.
Reply 8
xSkyFire
*Points to spoiler* ?

As a UCL chemist, I can safely say that admissions for our department are A LOT nicer than all the others. They invite most applicants to interview as long as A-Level grades are good.
Reply 9
MulderMan
As a UCL chemist, I can safely say that admissions for our department are A LOT nicer than all the others. They invite most applicants to interview as long as A-Level grades are good.

Yeah, that Dr.Lewis dude is epic :biggrin:.
xSkyFire
Yeah, that Dr.Lewis dude is epic :biggrin:.

That will soon change when he is lecturing you on quantum mechanics! :P
Reply 11
Thanks for all your advice...but i've just read the prospectus, a foreign language is required at GCSE, and mathematics at grade b...so i guess UCL is out of the question....

Do you think it is worth me emailing them about the language situation, or perhaps taking a language now...
Reply 12
Thumper0693

My GCSE's - ABBBBCCCCDD, with a C in physics and A in maths.

Look at my spoiler :P
Thumper0693

GCSE results are far outweighed by other aspects of your application. I got 5 As and 6 Bs and I'm at UCL now. GCSE grades will only be relevant when two applicants are EXACTLY alike in every other respect.
Reply 14
MulderMan
That will soon change when he is lecturing you on quantum mechanics! :P

?! Lewis' QM is easy and taught well, just you wait 'til you get Fielding in your 2nd year
Reply 15
Salain
?! Lewis' QM is easy and taught well, just you wait 'til you get Fielding in your 2nd year

Should I be scared?
Reply 16
PJ991
If you get good AS results, I'd go for it.

I got 3 Cs at AS but got an offer. (albeit a much less competitive course)

what course?
Reply 17
ashton.alfred
what course?

Italian.
To quote UCL:

"We are expecting more than 230
> applicants for a total of 41 places"

This was in an email sent in March, so they'd have received all forms except late ones by then. So I assume that's an accurate figure. So about 5 people per place.

I know someone rejected for the same course with all As.
I haven't even finished my GCSE exams yet but I'm really interested in applying to UCL to read English. My predicted GCSE grades are:

A* - English Lit (actual result - I took this in November)
A* - English
A* - French
A* - German
A* - History
A/A* - Music
A - Short Course Citizenship (actual result - I took this last year)
A/A* - Short Course RE
A - Core science (actual result - I took this last year)
B - Maths
C - Additional Science

From what I've read on here it looks like it's worth applying anyway if I decide I like the university, because it's a bit of a lottery anyway.

But what I was wondering is, as English seems to be such a popular course, if I chose to apply for English and French, or English and History, would I have more chance of getting in? I really don't mind which I choose, because I like English, French, and History. Is competition fiercer for the dual courses?

alice
xxxx
I'm sure you lot will be fine. I'm attempting UCL (If I get good AS grades with ) A*BBBBCCCCC and you lot have done wayy better. S'all about your PS and predictions from what I've heard.

Quick Reply

Latest