The Student Room Group

Any Americans have any idea wtf is going on with Student Loans?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 500
fill out the fafsa regardless. it can't hurt, only help
Reply 501
got my visa yesterday, took 6 working days. school starts 27th so I'm all set. Thanks and goodluck to every1 here. Esp @dchastam .

btw. I was very lucky, I used US Student Loans and applied for my visa in my home country (Jamaica), because I was stuck here for personal reasons and it worked!. So any green card holders out there, know that thats an option!
Reply 502
this is probably late to ask this, but i'm leaving next week and I was just thinking...do we need to do anything in terms of our loans beyond confirming with our institution? I just haven't heard anything from UCL since they sent me the letter with my awards and nothing has changed on my profile on the studentloans.gov site
Reply 503
alliehall
this is probably late to ask this, but i'm leaving next week and I was just thinking...do we need to do anything in terms of our loans beyond confirming with our institution? I just haven't heard anything from UCL since they sent me the letter with my awards and nothing has changed on my profile on the studentloans.gov site

I don't think so. I got an email from my uni with a form attached; they just wanted to know how we'd like our disbursements. (though i find it rather silly especially if graduate loans come in four disbursements. but then again they may just needed it to distinguish the undergraduates, 3 disbursements, from the post graduates, 4 disbursements.)
alliehall

I haven't received anything since those initial UCL awards letter, I think we are fine. Once we enrol our loans should be processed. I don't see anything different on the studentloans website either.

teily
I don't think so. I got an email from my uni with a form attached; they just wanted to know how we'd like our disbursements. (though i find it rather silly especially if graduate loans come in four disbursements. but then again they may just needed it to distinguish the undergraduates, 3 disbursements, from the post graduates, 4 disbursements.)

Your loans are disbursed 4 times? Im going to be a grad student at UCL and ours is still three, How long is your program?
Reply 505
Venombia12
I haven't received anything since those initial UCL awards letter, I think we are fine. Once we enrol our loans should be processed. I don't see anything different on the studentloans website either.

Your loans are disbursed 4 times? Im going to be a grad student at UCL and ours is still three, How long is your program?

My program is one year. I'm a grad student too.

"Please note that all Federal Loans must be disbursed directly to King’s in FOUR equal instalments for postgraduate students on the following dates:
27th September
10th January
11th April
6th June"

That's from the KCL funding webpage, step 5 under "how do I apply for federal loans?"

Maybe each school is different. :dontknow:
Reply 506
I wish I had my money now so I can buy textbooks....
Reply 507
I got my money
Reply 508
ChantzFox
I got my money

i got mine on the 8th of october. (and the first thing i bought was food. lol)
Reply 509
teily
i got mine on the 8th of october. (and the first thing i bought was food. lol)

I'm still waiting on my bank account taking forever.
Reply 510
ChantzFox
I'm still waiting on my bank account taking forever.

oh no!! i'm sorry. :frown: i'm sure things will be sorted soon. i'll cross my fingers for you.
I will attend a UK university if, and only if, I receive a Fulbright or Marshall scholarship. ^_^ I am going to set up an appointment with the "Scholarship Coordinator" at my university to figure out which is the best route for me to go...

Hopefully I will be studying at Cambridge, UCL, York, Nottingham, or Edinburgh soon.

In the US for Philosophy grad students, universities often wave tuition and give their students a stipend to live off of... that does not seem to be the case for British universities, at least as far as my investigation has been able to uncover.

I am anxious about the idea of student loans...
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys, I was just curious if someone could tell me about how much in student loans they were able to get and if they were able to find any financial aid elsewhere?

thanks tons
I'm going to use sallie mae and Idk if that's enough. Do you think sallie mae alone is enough at Durham?

Quick Reply

Latest