The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It depends. We had a seminar which consisted of a presentation every week, a "class" which was basically like a tutorial, and a tutorial which varied. So I did one presentation this year (different people did them each week). That was pretty good actually. However I didn't prepare at all for most of the rest of them and eventually just started skipping. The classes I barely skipped, but then I stopped bothering to do the reading for those either. They were excruciating; so boring and so few people wanted to speak that if you *did* speak she'd just let you carry on until your voice trailed out into the ether. Then try to hide her disappointment at the crapness of your answer. The tutorials sometimes consisted of discussion and work; others of the lectureres who were pissed off they didn't get to deliver the lectures going over the lectures again while you sat there staring emptily into space and being wrong whenever you did say something. Didn't help that the reading for those was the same as the seminars so I stopped going to them too.

Now I have to learn the whole syllabus in about five days. My own fault. But nevermind.
Last year, I did 4 presentations. Only one was assessed and two were in a group. This year, I've done 2 presentations - one in a group and neither assessed. I really dislike them but you just have to get through it. There are lots of tips, like focusing on a point or one person and holding your hands together with your fingers touching [forming a sort of pyramid] and then you push your fingertips together to relieve stress [and the audience can't really tell you are doing it!]. :smile:

Seminars can be awkward. It depends on the tutor and the individuals. Sometimes you get one or two really loud people and they ensure the seminar isn't quiet but at the same time can be intimidating if you are shy. Some seminars are operated in smaller groups with the groups feeding back - I prefer these as you get to know your group well and it is easier if you are shy.

I wouldn't worry about seminars. They are part of the university process for most courses. You will have to participate more than you probably do at school - sometimes seminar participation even counts towards your grade - but I doubt you will be doing presentations every week. Even in third year I wouldn't expect that lol. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending