The Student Room Group

Statistics For Higher Modern.s

hi! im really really worried about my modern studies exam. It just that my tearcher is reaaaaally not good :mad: and my whole class is struggling. Although i dis get an A in my perlim it was only 71% and it was 70% for an A so you can see how close it is. I really need to get an A for this subject as the uni im applying too wont accept pupils unless thay have 5 As so yea im stressing!!! :eek3:
most of my essays are a low A (11/15) or a high B (10/15) most of the time i dont get the A is because i lack statistics so can someone pleasee help me find statistics for the following--->>
1. % of votes equal % of seats (AMS/PR)
2. how PR repersents smaller parties
3. how coalitions are unstable
4. how some younger voters vote lib dem or just figures on who young voters vote for
5. labour recieving more women votes
that is what i need at the moment but i will probably need more. thank you sooooooooooo mych to those who help! it is just that i cant help but stress for this subject :frown: :frown: thanks again

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi to you to!

1. 100% / 100%
2. they don't
3. they aren't
4. Because Clegg is god, WE LOVE CLEGG
5. Hahaha Labour recieving votes...

Hope i've been of some assistance.
sugardust17
hi! im really really worried about my modern studies exam. It just that my tearcher is reaaaaally not good :mad: and my whole class is struggling. Although i dis get an A in my perlim it was only 71% and it was 70% for an A so you can see how close it is. I really need to get an A for this subject as the uni im applying too wont accept pupils unless thay have 5 As so yea im stressing!!! :eek3:
most of my essays are a low A (11/15) or a high B (10/15) most of the time i dont get the A is because i lack statistics so can someone pleasee help me find statistics for the following--->>
4. how some younger voters vote lib dem or just figures on who young voters vote for
that is what i need at the moment but i will probably need more. thank you sooooooooooo mych to those who help! it is just that i cant help but stress for this subject :frown: :frown: thanks again

I cba looking for my notes so I can only answer three of the questions.

1. In the 2005 General Election, Labour gained 356 seats under FPTP. However, if a PR system had been used they would have gained just 228 seats- a loss of 128 seats.
2. If a PR system had been used in the 2005 Election, the Lib Dems would have gained an estimated 80 seats.
3. Italy used the Party List System and the result was 50 governments in 50 years as a coalition could not be agreed.

Another quite useful thing to note for the FPTP system:
In 2005, 19 million voters cast ineffective votes, that is 70% of those who voted. Can we label this democracy which is truly representative of the voters? I think not.
Reply 3
thank you soo much moonshine :smile:
i will be probably asking for some more, its just cause my teacher is awful :frown: so i hope u could still reply to me
thnks
Reply 4
Hi I actually wouldn't worry too much as even though the grade boundries at your school was 70%. For the sqa in 2008 it was down at 62% for an A and 75% for an A band 1 and last year it was 63% and 76% so your actually closer to an A band 1. Don't worry too much :smile:
sugardust17
thank you soo much moonshine :smile:
i will be probably asking for some more, its just cause my teacher is awful :frown: so i hope u could still reply to me
thnks

I'll have a think and see if I can remember any stats, if not I'll dig out my notes tomorrow.
Reply 6
good luck for your exam, i'm sure you will be fine. I loved Modern Studies at school. Tbh dont worry about stats being exact as long as they make rough sense you should be fine.

Good luck
sugardust17

I know it's close to the exam, but I'd get the "How to pass Higher Modern Studies" book. It contains statistics and model answers and such.
Reply 8
oh thank you soo much for everyone being so supportive! :biggrin:
I have the how to pass higher modern studies! it does have a lot of statistics, i do admit. but for some reason they do not seem to fit with my explaintions? also on page 52 of that book it shows the scottish parliament elections, the % of voted but not the % of seats???
maybe im just being paranoid of the whole situation lol!
especially that because its really likely that systems are going to be in this year i want to make this essay really good but my teachers says it nots an A because i lack statictics.. but it just really annoys me because its like shouldnt you be giving me those statictics?? she never exactly tells u how to improve!! its in our prelim only 2 people out of 22 got an a or a b and the rest either failed or got a C and she was like why dont u get the idea!!!!!! when its clearly that she not teaching properly.... :frown:
sugardust17
oh thank you soo much for everyone being so supportive! :biggrin:
I have the how to pass higher modern studies! it does have a lot of statistics, i do admit. but for some reason they do not seem to fit with my explaintions? also on page 52 of that book it shows the scottish parliament elections, the % of voted but not the % of seats???
maybe im just being paranoid of the whole situation lol!
especially that because its really likely that systems are going to be in this year i want to make this essay really good but my teachers says it nots an A because i lack statictics.. but it just really annoys me because its like shouldnt you be giving me those statictics?? she never exactly tells u how to improve!! its in our prelim only 2 people out of 22 got an a or a b and the rest either failed or got a C and she was like why dont u get the idea!!!!!! when its clearly that she not teaching properly.... :frown:

Well, always put "approximatly" before giving stats and if in doubt make them up but don't make them so unrealistic that they cannot be true. Most of my facts in my prelim were made up, or at least altered.
Reply 10
yea. we went to a modern studies confrence and there was a teacher who was one of the people who actually make the exmas said that they are not that fussy with statistics so hopefully it should be okay :smile:
good luck to everyone and i really do hope you guys get the grade u want :smile:
Reply 11
moonshine_1991
I cba looking for my notes so I can only answer three of the questions.

1. In the 2005 General Election, Labour gained 356 seats under FPTP. However, if a PR system had been used they would have gained just 228 seats- a loss of 128 seats.
2. If a PR system had been used in the 2005 Election, the Lib Dems would have gained an estimated 80 seats.
3. Italy used the Party List System and the result was 50 governments in 50 years as a coalition could not be agreed.

Another quite useful thing to note for the FPTP system:
In 2005, 19 million voters cast ineffective votes, that is 70% of those who voted. Can we label this democracy which is truly representative of the voters? I think not.

sorry im not quite sure what you mean in number 3?? :s-smilie:
but thank you soo much! you have helped a lot! :woo:
and is there any figures that show that STV is complicated?
sugardust17
sorry im not quite sure what you mean in number 3?? :s-smilie:
but thank you soo much! you have helped a lot! :woo:
an dis there any fiqures that show that STV is complicated?

Italy used the PLS and the result was a series of unsuccessful coalitions which meant that there was an election, on average, every year for 50 years as a coalition could not be agreed and elections had to be continually called.
Give me a minute to dig out my notes to see if I can answer your other questions :smile: .
OK, here some stuff I have written down:
4. There is a concept of senescence which claims that your political views are likely to moderate as you get older: thus we start of voting left wing, move gradually to the centre and then to the right as we get older.
The stereotypical view is that Labour do well with the under 30s because of youthful idealism and the tendency of the young to be more left wing. The young, however, are the group less likely to vote- an issue that all political parties will need to address.
Conservatives do well with the over 50s because the older generation are more pragmatic and have different priorities.
The 30-50 age group are evenly balanced.
Pensioners have traditionally voted Labour but this may change as the number of affluent pensioners with private pensions increases.
5. Women, traditionally, voted Conservative for reasons that I won't go into unless you really want me to. The reversal of the earlier trend was believed to be due to several factors:
Many women did not like Thatcher.
Women were no longer convinced by Tory policies on Health and Education ( an women tend to care more about social issues than they do about issues such as defence).
The modern woman is a much more political being than her mother and is more likely to have opinions of her own (rather than having her husband/father's beliefs projected onto her).
Most women now go out to work, join trade unions and are, therefore, exposed to pro Labour ideas in the workplace. (On the other hand, a large number of women work in non-unionised environments and union membership is dropping anyway).

There aren't any figures to show the complexity of STV. I'm not sure how there would be and if there is I've never seen them.

Anything else? :smile:
Reply 14
moonshine_1991
Italy used the PLS and the result was a series of unsuccessful coalitions which meant that there was an election, on average, every year for 50 years as a coalition could not be agreed and elections had to be continually called.
Give me a minute to dig out my notes to see if I can answer your other questions :smile: .

:biggrin: star!!!
thank you soo much! i really really do appreciate your help.
hope you get the results you want :smile:
sugardust17
:biggrin: star!!!
thank you soo much! i really really do appreciate your help.
hope you get the results you want :smile:

I'm not actually doing any exams this year, but thanks anyway :p:.
Good luck with all of yours!
Reply 16
im just wondering.. I know how PR systems improve representation but im not sure how they would improve participation??
and i also came along this Q which i didnt really understand --->>
"The UK can no longer claim to have a two-party system"
help :frown:
sugardust17
im just wondering.. I know how PR systems improve representation but im not sure how they would improve participation??
and i also came along this Q which i didnt really understand --->>
"The UK can no longer claim to have a two-party system"
help :frown:

Your vote will count more so more people will vote as they will know that their vote could actually make a difference in who's elected. Not very eloquently put but you get the gist.

Is that the whole question?
moonshine_1991
Your vote will count more so more people will vote as they will know that their vote could actually make a difference in who's elected. Not very eloquently put but you get the gist.

You need to know what a two party system is:

it is when power is shared between two parties with other parties having very little or no chance of forming the goverment. You would talk about dealignement, increasing support for smaller parties, give examples such as the most recent one about the coalition, Labour lost seats, The Green party won one seat, Perhaps say how Conservatives have only got 1 Scottish seat at Westminister.

There are way tooo many statistics to remember, does anyone have any tips as I am really struggling
Reply 19
moonshine_1991

yes that is the whole Q

Latest

Trending

Trending