The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

The Access to Leeds module

I am applying to Leeds via the Access to Leeds scheme. I have been accepted onto it, however I've recently found out that in order to secure my place on the scheme and at the university, I have to write two 1,250 assignments and pass both of them.

Has anyone else done this? Can you give me any hints/tips about it or share their experience of it?

I'm really quite worried now, there's a lot of pressure as if I don't pass them I won't get my place on my course (BA Managing Performance). :frown:

Thanks guys

A x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I applied through Access To Leeds 2 years ago as did a few of my friends, we had to attend 2 study skills days which basically just gave tips on revision and a bit more information about Leeds like an open day. One of my assignments was on study skills and about how people learn things and another was subject specific (Psychology), I was a bit worried about the subject specific one because it was on something I hadn't encountered at A Level, however I did pass both assignments as did everyone else I know so I wouldn't really worry about it too much, I think it would be fair to say they were quite lenient with marking. Hope this helps, good luck.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Laura_C
I applied through Access To Leeds 2 years ago as did a few of my friends, we had to attend 2 study skills days which basically just gave tips on revision and a bit more information about Leeds like an open day. One of my assignments was on study skills and about how people learn things and another was subject specific (Psychology), I was a bit worried about the subject specific one because it was on something I hadn't encountered at A Level, however I did pass both assignments as did everyone else I know so I wouldn't really worry about it too much, I think it would be fair to say they were quite lenient with marking. Hope this helps, good luck.

I don't suppose you have any revision notes for the study skills assignment do you? Do you know what score you got? As apparently you only need 40% to pass, although I don't know what that would be in grades.
Reply 3
I don't sorry. We didn't actually get told what score we got, just got a letter saying I passed them both. I think it would be 40% pass as this is what you need to pass most things at university.
Reply 4
Laura_C
I don't sorry. We didn't actually get told what score we got, just got a letter saying I passed them both. I think it would be 40% pass as this is what you need to pass most things at university.

Oh OK, thats cool, I'm just freaking out about it a bit. I've been on a gap year so haven't written an assignment in a while! Do you know of any good essay structures or anything?
Sorry to hassle you with this :frown:
Reply 5
lady_leon
Oh OK, thats cool, I'm just freaking out about it a bit. I've been on a gap year so haven't written an assignment in a while! Do you know of any good essay structures or anything?
Sorry to hassle you with this :frown:

Hey,

They've got loads of info on the access to leeds section of the website which you should've been given a login for - after reading all the presentations which help you if definitely doesn't seem as daunting, and I think it's just really to show them that you will be capable of passing the assignments at uni.
I'm doing it too - is it just me, or does the first assignment seem really boring? x
Reply 6
emmgol
Hey,

They've got loads of info on the access to leeds section of the website which you should've been given a login for - after reading all the presentations which help you if definitely doesn't seem as daunting, and I think it's just really to show them that you will be capable of passing the assignments at uni.
I'm doing it too - is it just me, or does the first assignment seem really boring? x

Haha yeah, it is pretty dull. I find it hard to write good assignments if I'm not that interested in the topic! :P
I've had a look at the VLE and that PowerPoint presentation was relatively helpful, but reading through the reading they've provided us with, I'm not sure how I can pull it into an essay. I wouldn't say there's that much on the VLE though. What kind of learning theories have you found? Have you started the assignment yet?
x
Reply 7
Hi!
I've just finished my essay! :woo: :woo:
At first i had no idea what to write, but by the end i had to cut loads of things out because i was over the word limit!
The study skills day and the info on the VLE really did help, so check those out! :top:
Reply 8
SaBzY
Hi!
I've just finished my essay! :woo: :woo:
At first i had no idea what to write, but by the end i had to cut loads of things out because i was over the word limit!
The study skills day and the info on the VLE really did help, so check those out! :top:

The recommended reading?
I don't suppose I could take a look at yours? Or if you're worried about me copying, what structure you used and certain theories you included?
Sorry to be so cheeky, but I'm a bit stuck :frown:
Reply 9
lady_leon
The recommended reading?
I don't suppose I could take a look at yours? Or if you're worried about me copying, what structure you used and certain theories you included?
Sorry to be so cheeky, but I'm a bit stuck :frown:

Yeah the recommended reading, the powerpoint presentations too.
Ermmm..introduction, then talked about the learning techniques, then the 'good' learning experience, then the 'bad' one, conclusion. Thats just how i wrote it..im not particularly good at essay based things :o:
Perhaps you should write a plan beforehand? I didnt cos i was in a bit of a rush.
I wrote about the processes of learning (got that from my psychology textbook), oh and that SQ3R which was on the VLE, simple techniques like mind maps and note taking. Didn't go into too much detail though...only need 40% to pass :p:
I didn't do much referencing though...do you know if we need a bibliography or not?
I'll show you my essay if you show me yours :p:
Reply 10
SaBzY
Yeah the recommended reading, the powerpoint presentations too.
Ermmm..introduction, then talked about the learning techniques, then the 'good' learning experience, then the 'bad' one, conclusion. Thats just how i wrote it..im not particularly good at essay based things :o:
Perhaps you should write a plan beforehand? I didnt cos i was in a bit of a rush.
I wrote about the processes of learning (got that from my psychology textbook), oh and that SQ3R which was on the VLE, simple techniques like mind maps and note taking. Didn't go into too much detail though...only need 40% to pass :p:
I didn't do much referencing though...do you know if we need a bibliography or not?
I'll show you my essay if you show me yours :p:

Oh your lucky that you do Psychology, I've never done anything like it in my life! And what's the SQ3R? I've been on the VLE (the A2L one and there really isn't that much on there, just the Powerpoint and the recommended reading)
I haven't actually started my essay yet, just done a lot of plans! I'll show you it when I've finished or actually started writing it! Is yours due in for the 17th May as well?
And we do need a bibliography :smile: What exactly is 40%, like a C?
When you say "learning techniques", do you mean like someone being a visual learner or an auditory learner, for example?
Reply 11
lady_leon
Oh your lucky that you do Psychology, I've never done anything like it in my life! And what's the SQ3R? I've been on the VLE (the A2L one and there really isn't that much on there, just the Powerpoint and the recommended reading)
I haven't actually started my essay yet, just done a lot of plans! I'll show you it when I've finished or actually started writing it! Is yours due in for the 17th May as well?
And we do need a bibliography :smile: What exactly is 40%, like a C?
When you say "learning techniques", do you mean like someone being a visual learner or an auditory learner, for example?

The SQ3R is on a powerpoint saying academic reading skills, but it hardly says anything about it, i just searched it on google to get more detail on it.
Oh thanks, my bibliography won't be very full, only did around 3 references :o:
Yeah mine is due for 17th of May.
At A level 40% is an E grade, so it's pretty low.
What i was talking about was techniques that can help you learn things easier, like mnemonics, or just things like mind maps. I did write about visual and auditory learners aswell.
This essay is so random, i just wrote anything i could find about learning :o:
Reply 12
SaBzY
The SQ3R is on a powerpoint saying academic reading skills, but it hardly says anything about it, i just searched it on google to get more detail on it.
Oh thanks, my bibliography won't be very full, only did around 3 references :o:
Yeah mine is due for 17th of May.
At A level 40% is an E grade, so it's pretty low.
What i was talking about was techniques that can help you learn things easier, like mnemonics, or just things like mind maps. I did write about visual and auditory learners aswell.
This essay is so random, i just wrote anything i could find about learning :o:

So did you refer to any of the recommended readings?
Reply 13
lady_leon
So did you refer to any of the recommended readings?

I only quoted one from them.
Reply 14
SaBzY
I only quoted one from them.

Did you print out the assessment sheet for the essays? If so, do you think you covered everything?
Reply 15
lady_leon
Did you print out the assessment sheet for the essays? If so, do you think you covered everything?

I went to the study skills event so they already had it printed out for all of us. I don't think i've covered everything they asked for, but if i write more theyll take marks off :frown:
Meh, i guess ill have to add some things...
hey :smile: im doing A2L for product design
im having a wittle bit trouble too though :/
an essay about a good and bad learning exp seems simple enough, but im really confused about the reading list and references.
are we meant to use the whole list? or reference specific techniques in which ever book we choose?
OH, and how exactly do we hand in our essay when were done?
thanks x)
Reply 17
loudmouth92
hey :smile: im doing A2L for product design
im having a wittle bit trouble too though :/
an essay about a good and bad learning exp seems simple enough, but im really confused about the reading list and references.
are we meant to use the whole list? or reference specific techniques in which ever book we choose?
OH, and how exactly do we hand in our essay when were done?
thanks x)

Hey :smile:
You don't need to use all of the readings, infact you don't have to use any of them if you don't want to. It's just a starting point.
I'm sure it is meant to be a simple essay, I'm just looking far too into it! (something that one of the readings mentions actually :p:)
You hand the essay in by email and by post. You have to send it with a form to confirm it's all your work.
Have you started your essay at all? I don't suppose you've got a structure to go on have you?
x
PHEW! you sure?? there was a scary...(trying to be scary) guy who made such a big deal about it on the A2L day. if so
you are a life saver miss leon :biggrin: thanks!
and as for the essay ive jst got notes together and a horrible mess of a 1st draft :P
im mainly going on the essay writing skills they gave in the presentation on the A2L day thing
*say what your going to talk about
*talk about it
*evaluate and rank any points made (and if asked, show your views)
*say what you talked about
more or less any history essay ive ever written :/ how fun
how you finding it?
Reply 19
loudmouth92
PHEW! you sure?? there was a scary...(trying to be scary) guy who made such a big deal about it on the A2L day. if so
you are a life saver miss leon :biggrin: thanks!
and as for the essay ive jst got notes together and a horrible mess of a 1st draft :P
im mainly going on the essay writing skills they gave in the presentation on the A2L day thing
*say what your going to talk about
*talk about it
*evaluate and rank any points made (and if asked, show your views)
*say what you talked about
more or less any history essay ive ever written :/ how fun
how you finding it?

I didn't go to the study skills day so I feel I'm missing a lot of vital information!
What do they mean by "rank" the points you've made? Out of 10 or something?
I haven't even started the essay, still trying to work out a structure in which to put my notes and make them sound a bit more essay-like.
Have you put any quotes in at all? If so, who from and what about?
What experiences have you chosen to compare and talk about?
Did you look at the texts? If so, what did you look for in them?
Sorry for all the questions, I'd just like to see what everyone else is doing! If you wanna chat more about it then feel free to add me on MSN :smile: [email protected]
I'm pretty stuck and getting worried. Really really want to go to Leeds :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest