The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Phone Signal in Hazlerigg - Rutland & Robert Bakewell

I am coming to Loughborough in October this year and am looking at what accommodation to choose.

In both Hazlerigg - Rutland & Robert Bakewell, it says on thier information pages that 'Due to the eco design of this new build accommodation, there are problems with regards to mobile phone connection within the building.'

Does anyone know if this is a major problem that everyone gets in the halls, or is it just a few rooms etc that get it? Don't really want to be not be able to receive any texts while i'm my room.
Reply 1
From what I've heard the only real place to get signal is on the top floor or by leaving your phone by the window. I believe it's because of the pre-cast concrete construction acting like a Faraday Cage around the buildings.

I've heard they might be installing femtocells in the near future to act as local boosters for mobiles.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Cookie29
I am coming to Loughborough in October this year and am looking at what accommodation to choose.

In both Hazlerigg - Rutland & Robert Bakewell, it says on thier information pages that 'Due to the eco design of this new build accommodation, there are problems with regards to mobile phone connection within the building.'

Does anyone know if this is a major problem that everyone gets in the halls, or is it just a few rooms etc that get it? Don't really want to be not be able to receive any texts while i'm my room.

Yep it is a real problem in all honesty. Blackberry Bold and probably Bold 2 have in my experience been the only phones that can get signal in the corridor of the new build halls. Phones must be kept next to windows. Some networks (AFAIK Vodafone definitely??) do those plugin things that act as a sortof signal booster.
Cookie29

I'm in Bakewell atm. I'm on Orange and I get signal fine if I leave my phone near the window. You get used to it don't worry. Not sure what the other halls are like, not that it'll matter because you should of course chose Bakewell :biggrin:

Edit: I'm on the 1st of 4 floors by the way
Reply 4
rorydaredking
Some networks (AFAIK Vodafone definitely??) do those plugin things that act as a sortof signal booster.

Ah okay, well im on vodafone so that might be an option.

These seem to be the best/newest rooms for self catering but the fact that i might not be able to get signal is kind of putting me off, hmm!

I emailed the wardens and they said noone really complains about it, its fine :s-smilie:
Cookie29
Ah okay, well im on vodafone so that might be an option.

These seem to be the best/newest rooms for self catering but the fact that i might not be able to get signal is kind of putting me off, hmm!

I emailed the wardens and they said noone really complains about it, its fine :s-smilie:

Nobody complains about it, its just annoying. You can get signal, but just have to leave your phone on the windowsill, or on the desk close to the window. Its definitely not a reason to not choose the new build halls
Reply 6
2nd floor and above in these buildings and the signal isn't too bad. 02 is by far the best for coverage.
e-m-i-l-y
2nd floor and above in these buildings and the signal isn't too bad. 02 is by far the best for coverage.

yep theyve got a mast next to the traffic lights that go to the college I think
rorydaredking
yep theyve got a mast next to the traffic lights that go to the college I think

All the major mobile phone companies have masts around there. Not that I've seen them, but the ofcom site finder says so.
Reply 9
In fairness, I get rubbish signal in Rutherford on T-mobile, so I don't think its limited to just new halls!
Reply 10
I can hold a conversation up the stairs and into my flat in Bakewell (I'm top floor with Vodafone). I know others that only get signal on window sills. One tip is get a hands free device. Then you can leave your phone on the window sill with signal but sit where you want :wink:
Reply 11
Never had a problem around campus and in Various halls while on Orange.
Phone by window if you're on the first 2/3 floors. After that, fine.
I am on Orange and T-Mobile, and in Robert Bakewell, I only get signal when near the windows in the kitchen.
Reply 14
If you are on O" you can send/received texts (and calls I think?) via wifi using just your phone and a 02 app.

My phones on vodaphone, but my dad does the above at my parents house due to low signal, works well.

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending