The Student Room Group

Maximum and minimum values on harmonic form.

Can anyone talk me through how to do this :/? Because I'm confused.
Do you have a particular example of a question on harmonic form or do you want to be told about the whole process in a general way?
Reply 2
The whole process in a general way please :smile:.
ok, so lets consider rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha), what is the maximum y value that y=sinxy=\sin x gives? You can see by considering the graph of y=sinxy=\sin x that the highest y value that it reaches for any given x is y=1. Then consider what value of x this maximum occurs at? i.e. where does sinx=1\sin x = 1, when x is an acute angle (i.e. 0x900 \leq x \leq 90).

Spoiler

Then note that we're working with rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) so the maximum point occurs when sin(θ+α)=1sin(\theta + \alpha)=1, which is when (θ+α)=90(\theta + \alpha)=90^{\circ}. So you must find an appropriate value of theta for which sin is at it's maximum point i.e. 1, once you found that you realise that the maximum value of the whole expression rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) when sin(θ+α)=1sin(\theta + \alpha)=1 must be just rr.
For minima you must follow the same steps as above but in this case you should consider where the sin graph is at it's lowest point, which is -1. Therefore the minimum value of the expression we started with, rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) is just r-r.
For other trig functions you do the same. Find the minimum/maximum value of the trig graph and what x-value or angles that it occurs at, then make sure that the angle of the trig function is set to result in the whole expression being equal to it's maximum value.
Hope that helped, if there's anything you don't understand give me a shout.
Reply 4
I belive it does, thank you :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
ok, so lets consider rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha), what is the maximum y value that y=sinxy=\sin x gives? You can see by considering the graph of y=sinxy=\sin x that the highest y value that it reaches for any given x is y=1. Then consider what value of x this maximum occurs at? i.e. where does sinx=1\sin x = 1, when x is an acute angle (i.e. 0x900 \leq x \leq 90).

Spoiler

Then note that we're working with rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) so the maximum point occurs when sin(θ+α)=1sin(\theta + \alpha)=1, which is when (θ+α)=90(\theta + \alpha)=90^{\circ}. So you must find an appropriate value of theta for which sin is at it's maximum point i.e. 1, once you found that you realise that the maximum value of the whole expression rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) when sin(θ+α)=1sin(\theta + \alpha)=1 must be just rr.
For minima you must follow the same steps as above but in this case you should consider where the sin graph is at it's lowest point, which is -1. Therefore the minimum value of the expression we started with, rsin(θ+α)rsin(\theta + \alpha) is just r-r.
For other trig functions you do the same. Find the minimum/maximum value of the trig graph and what x-value or angles that it occurs at, then make sure that the angle of the trig function is set to result in the whole expression being equal to it's maximum value.
Hope that helped, if there's anything you don't understand give me a shout.

so how do you find the maximum value root29 sin (theta+218) and it's an acute angle

Quick Reply

Latest