The Student Room Group

Interpreting

I am quite interested in interpreting but not just in an interpreting capacity. I would be interested in being in some sort of management role involving interpretation. I dont intend on doing a modern language degree but I do want to be fluent in at 2 other languages (one being spanish), I done German at GCSE level but would rather be fluent in a different language perhaps Japanese or Chinese? Anyone have any ideas on the languages? Also do you advise me doing a home study A Level from one of the open learning sites or learning it some other way? Theres no language classes in any of the colleges around here:frown:
Reply 1
kirstinx
I am quite interested in interpreting but not just in an interpreting capacity. I would be interested in being in some sort of management role involving interpretation. I dont intend on doing a modern language degree but I do want to be fluent in at 2 other languages (one being spanish), I done German at GCSE level but would rather be fluent in a different language perhaps Japanese or Chinese? Anyone have any ideas on the languages? Also do you advise me doing a home study A Level from one of the open learning sites or learning it some other way? Theres no language classes in any of the colleges around here:frown:

Well the best way to get a job in which the language if foreign to you the best way is to have at least an A-Level in that language so you may have to do distance learning if this is something your collage cannot provide, however some university courses are specifically set up for people like you and even include works experience abroad, they usually include modules in your chosen language and as long as you are already qualified in the language at at least a B GCSE they will accept you on the course, I’ve never seen a course that offers two drastically different languages, though some do offer two similar languages, it may be worth you researching this.
Reply 2
Thanks I am going to look into it, and into some universities now :smile:
Reply 3
Steeeeevo
Well the best way to get a job in which the language if foreign to you the best way is to have at least an A-Level in that language so you may have to do distance learning if this is something your collage cannot provide, however some university courses are specifically set up for people like you and even include works experience abroad, they usually include modules in your chosen language and as long as you are already qualified in the language at at least a B GCSE they will accept you on the course, I’ve never seen a course that offers two drastically different languages, though some do offer two similar languages, it may be worth you researching this.

at uni? are you joking?
Reply 4
Fleece
at uni? are you joking?

No, but then I’ve never been looking that’s why I suggested she research it, the only reason I’ve said that is I can remember seeing non-pure language courses with 1 language or 2 similar languages, but I’ve never noticed a non-pure language course with 2 different languages, perhaps you could suggest some?
There are many, many combinations at degree level.
Reply 6
um the chances of interpreting with just a-levels is pretty non existant. you would most likely need a modern language degree and posibly a post grad
Reply 7
I'm applying to be a linguist in the RAF. The requirements are 5 GCSEs at C and above, must include Maths, English and a Modern Language.
Reply 8
puk2184
I'm applying to be a linguist in the RAF. The requirements are 5 GCSEs at C and above, must include Maths, English and a Modern Language.

That's ridiculous;
http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_files/jobfile_weapon_systems_operator_linguist.cfm

Starting at £28,350! - Degree qualified translators don't earn that much!
Reply 9
thermoregulatio
That's ridiculous;
http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_files/jobfile_weapon_systems_operator_linguist.cfm

Starting at £28,350! - Degree qualified translators don't earn that much!

read the link you posted:

Qualifications: 5 GCSEs/SCEs (Grade C/3) including English language, maths and a modern language. If you do not have a GCSE/SCE in a modern language, you may still be accepted if you can demonstrate an aptitude to learn foreign languages.

yes, on the exact page you posted :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending