The Student Room Group

University or Apprenticeship?

I've been discussing this with my friends, and at the moment my options are open for after I finish sixth form. I am under the impression that university is a great place to go for subjects such as Maths and Law, and that an apprenticeship is a good idea for more practical jobs such as engineering.

So what are your thoughts on the two, if you were interested in a subject such as engineering would you prefer to do it as an apprenticeship and build up a respectable amount of work experience or do a degree in it?
I know nothing about engineering or practical jobs, but from what I've learnt about other jobs like publishing, yeah a degree is good, but you aren't going to get anywhere without work experience. And I have quite a few friends who have finished their engineering degrees (from a respectable uni and grade) and can't find jobs. I'd go for the apprenticeship. You could always do the degree after. Work experience is very important.
Reply 2
This is what I have thought myself, and you're right I could always go to a degree if an apprenticeship wasn't to my taste.

Latest

Trending

Trending