The Student Room Group

Where do I go from here ?

Ok so im not at uni, but it has always interested me and i still want to go.

I finished college last year and got pretty good grades (b's and c's). But i couldnt decide on what i wanted to do at Uni, so i went and got a job.

Luckily I managed to get a job at a very big company doing technology stuff and am on 18k a year, and im only 18 (19 soon). Thing is im not really happy and I feel im too young to be doing this, and I still want to go Uni, meet new people, and get out of this place and experience something different.

Will having the work experience be good for getting into uni now, and be better on a CV once i got the degree? Or do i play it safe and stay here and possibly move up the company ?
Reply 1
Theres no point being unhappy for the rest of your life...
Reply 2
I agree with fia127. If you want to go to uni, now's a good time. Also, nowadays more and more people are getting degrees, so it's a good idea to get one. You know, to be seen in the same light as other people when applying for jobs.
Yeah definitely go to uni. You're regret it if you don't and I agree with the comments above. What subjects did you take?
Reply 4
I took pretty rubbish subjects tbh. I took Maths at As level. Applied ICT, Computing, Graphic Communication, and Music at A level.
well, what do you want to do, what did you do (+grades)
and why are you unhappy at your current job, as 18K for an 18 yr old is pretty good, and if you have proves yourself as a good worker, there would be plenty of opportunities to rise up, without a degree....perhaps you could speak to a boss or something about career progression, as they may even sponsor you during uni :biggrin:
Reply 6
Money doesnt mean nothing to me. I could be earning 30,40k doing the same job and i wouldnt be happy. Its very stressful and im almost living in a work bubble where my social life is slowly dying because of it.

I just feel that i need to get away from my home town, study something somewhere else and possibly further my education to get an even better job.

Im not sure what i wanna do but im pretty sure i would enjoy studying marketing or design.
Reply 7
OO yay someone like me! Currently working full time and hating it, feel like a grown up and want to be 19 again! I would say if you think you're going to regret it and feel like you missed out go to uni, you'll never have the opportunity to do it at this age again and it can only improve you to be honest. Why don't you apply, it can't hurt? Better for you to realise this now than in ten years time.
Reply 8
Im glad im not the only one going through this :s-smilie: Im guessing its way to late to apply for 2010 so 2011 it is :smile: I just dont want to be 25 and be stuck in a job in which im not happy and have regrets that i never went uni.

Yeh i know i might never get a job im happy with, but at least i wont regret my decisions and I can actually live my early life, not sit in a office all the time and do crappy work, even if i am well paid.
Reply 9
Id work for a year, two at most, saving a little bundle and off to uni I go

Latest

Trending

Trending