The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'd move out if you want the full uni experience.
diehardrocks
hello everyone
i know this question has been asked a million times but i wanted to ask again myself:frown:
I live in london and will be starting uni next year. My uni (LSE) is about 50 minutes away from home by train...I am in a big dilemma whether to move out or not. Main thing I am worried about is that i might end up making no friends. I am sociable and stuff so will be joining loads of societies. Sorry for the rant so i halls worth it ??:s-smilie:

definitly move in the halls. make friends. then by 2nd year you will have already made friends so you can save money and live at home then? :smile:
hard to say. lots of pros and cons.
I only live 30 mins from my uni so i just stayed at home. I graduate next month and i've made like no friends. I'm not a loner or that, at uni there's lots of nice people who i know, go to class with, chat to, have lunch etc. Problem is i wouldn't class them like as proper friends bcos we don't do anythin outside uni. As i near the end of my time at uni i really wish i'd moved into halls and had a proper uni experience, u no drinking, taking drugs, not washing, political protesting, chlamydia, the usual student stuff. But bcos i stayed at home my exposure to that type of life has been very limited. i still go on nights out and stuff but i don't really feel as tho i'm living the student life. and i wish i had done.
But on the other hand, i'm so much better off financially, i'm set to move into a good full time job the minute i graduate bcos i was able to get a good job, get a brand new car etc.
so there's pros and cons for both. but going from my experience i'd say go to halls, at least for your first year.

As every student has chlamydia.
Reply 23
proper uni experience, u no drinking, taking drugs, not washing, political protesting, chlamydia, the usual student stuff.

haha that made me laugh
Reply 24
Heaney
If you decide to move out, what do you do with paying? I know that sounds stupid :|

My mum pays :p:

Like for here its rather cheap (about 60 quid a week)

I love living away though but my mum wouldnt have payed if it was rather cheap and she loved the uni

totally worth moving away though
I'm planning on doing this as my University is 25mins by train. I plan on living on campus for the first year then moving back for the other 2 years. This is to ensure I have the social life and make my friends during the 1st year and then I can save money for the rest.

My brother claims I won't want to move back and instead I'll rent a house with my friends made in the first year. What do you guys think, is second year just as fun as the first? Will I miss out if I move back?
Your brother's right. Most people, having lived away from home for their first year, would not want to move back home. But 25 mins from home means you can still do all the social stuff I guess...
Your brothers wrong. I moved out in the first year only, but have had an identical social life since living at home. You're always going to have friends who are renting/living in halls, so you can stay over after nights out :wink:

I'm sure I'd love renting a house with friends, but I wont be the one leaving with a 30k debt at the end of it. It's really nice not having to worry about money living at home. There's pros and cons, but the cons win imo.
GatsbyCrazy
I'm planning on doing this as my University is 25mins by train. I plan on living on campus for the first year then moving back for the other 2 years. This is to ensure I have the social life and make my friends during the 1st year and then I can save money for the rest.

My brother claims I won't want to move back and instead I'll rent a house with my friends made in the first year. What do you guys think, is second year just as fun as the first? Will I miss out if I move back?

Your brother is right. I am doing exactly what you did and living at home sucks after having lived in halls or a flat.
Smack
Your brother is right. I am doing exactly what you did and living at home sucks after having lived in halls or a flat.

Why don't you move in with your friends then? Or is it not bad enough to justify the additional debt?
GatsbyCrazy

It's a much better idea than doing it the other way around. I have friends who've totally regretted staying at home in their first year.
PearlyWhites
Your brothers wrong. I moved out in the first year only, but have had an identical social life since living at home. You're always going to have friends who are renting/living in halls, so you can stay over after nights out :wink:

I'm sure I'd love renting a house with friends, but I wont be the one leaving with a 30k debt at the end of it. It's really nice not having to worry about money living at home. There's pros and cons, but the cons win imo.

You won't be leaving with 30ks worth of debt. My course is five years long and I'll be studying in London and I only intend on coming out with near that.

It's only "debt" in the sense of the word anyway. It's student debt, which is a joke.
GatsbyCrazy

At twenty-five minutes away, is it really worth moving out in the first place?
RollerBall
You won't be leaving with 30ks worth of debt. My course is five years long and I'll be studying in London and I only intend on coming out with near that.

It's only "debt" in the sense of the word anyway. It's student debt, which is a joke.

When I first did my student loan back in 2007, I did the income assessed test and got hardly anything (something like £600 a term but I can't remember), so I transferred to the non-means assessed one and got around £6k a year. So over the three years, that would be £18k. Add that to the £10 tuition fees and that's £28k worth of debt by the time I graduate this year. That's no joke to me :eek3: I was living in Zone 1 though.

I'm not entitled to the Grant, and I didn't get a scholarship to help me out, so I had to take all I could get. I worked, but that was money for phone bill, food, travel, going out- not paying off the loan.
PearlyWhites
When I first did my student loan back in 2007, I did the income assessed test and got hardly anything (something like £600 a term but I can't remember), so I transferred to the non-means assessed one and got around £6k a year. So over the three years, that would be £18k. Add that to the £10 tuition fees and that's £28k worth of debt by the time I graduate this year. That's no joke to me :eek3: I was living in Zone 1 though.

I'm not entitled to the Grant, and I didn't get a scholarship to help me out, so I had to take all I could get. I worked, but that was money for phone bill, food, travel, going out- not paying off the loan.

Non-means assesed is a little under five grand a year. Not six. And that's for 2010 entry, and as it increases with inflation every year I find it difficult to beleive you got almost six grand a year.

Twenty-five grand of student debt over three years that you'll pay back <£100 a month (At max), have the first and last two grand written off and have 0% interest. Then after 25 years the entire thing is written off anyway. Sounds like a joke to me.
Reply 35
I don't think you will want to move back home-its not necessarily the social stuff, but things like having a lot more freedom when you're away from home will probs mean that when you go back home after a while, parents start to be a bit annoying. I and all of my friends have found that just over our holidays-and I know I couldn't move back home permanently now! I mean my parents are great and pretty laid back but even so... :s-smilie:
x
Thanks for the reply everyone :smile: I have decided to move into halls 1st year and then see it goes. Cheers
GatsbyCrazy
Why don't you move in with your friends then? Or is it not bad enough to justify the additional debt?

I can't afford to move out.
RollerBall
Non-means assesed is a little under five grand a year. Not six. And that's for 2010 entry, and as it increases with inflation every year I find it difficult to beleive you got almost six grand a year.

Twenty-five grand of student debt over three years that you'll pay back <£100 a month (At max), have the first and last two grand written off and have 0% interest. Then after 25 years the entire thing is written off anyway. Sounds like a joke to me.

What on earth are you talking about! You can take just under £7k a year if you're a student, living away from home inside London. Back in 2007 it was probably a few hundred less.

As I said, it was years ago but whether it was 4, 5 or 6 grand, it's still money that I have to pay back. Either way you look at it, I still saved at least £10k by living at home for the last two years. I've lost nothing at all.

And this isn't even about me, since I've practically finished uni. Use your efforts on the OP.
PearlyWhites
What on earth are you talking about! You can take just under £7k a year if you're a student, living away from home inside London. Back in 2007 it was probably a few hundred less.

As I said, it was years ago but whether it was 4, 5 or 6 grand, it's still money that I have to pay back. Either way you look at it, I still saved at least £10k by living at home for the last two years. I've lost nothing at all.

And this isn't even about me, since I've practically finished uni. Use your efforts on the OP.

Yes, you can get just under 7 grand a year if your household income is ~£15k a year. If you do non-tested/£50k+ you get the bare minimum which is £4987 (Living in halls, in London. ~3700 outside of London). I literally just did my student finance.

Latest