The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Im in my second year of uni, and I commute from home as my uni is about 15 minute car journey away. To be honest, I regret it alot. Dont get me wrong, you do make some freinds from the course, but thats about it. My advice is to live in the halls, there you will get you independence, much more friends, alot of parties and loads more. and the debt youll be would be worth it becasue its an investment not a cost, so live in the halls deffo!!!!!
:redface:am considering if i shud move out, for my second year any opinions?
Original post by lulz-kay
When applying to UCAS.. Sheffield was the only uni which I said I wouldn't accommodate at (it's 10 minutes away on the train, 20-30mins in the car).. but now I'm having second thoughts.. should I commute at home or in halls?

My actual question is: How much will I ACTUALLY miss out? If I were to live at home..

The way I see it.. travelling to the uni will be cheaper which means I can pay for other things such as driving lessons and possibly get a decent car (I've been saving up for a while..) and my parents won't charge me rent..they even said they'll support me financially if need be.. But I'm just confusssseed... I couldn't possibly be the ONLY person who doesn't live within the uni during th first year???

:frown: Thanks

Do what I did :rolleyes:

First semester: Halls
- gives you the proper experience of 'FRESHHERRRSSS WEEEEK' (it's not the same at home)
- gives you the general experience of living independently as a student
- you make more friends

Second semester: Home
- actually makes it possible to revise for Summer exams
- saves money (I'm planning on spending mine on traveling in the summer)
- you've already made friends in halls by this point so you can still hang out with them

I know it's a hard decision (I've been in the same boat) but PM me if you want some more advice and stuff :rolleyes:
hey thnx. am in the second yr and am really having a hard time living at home.. revising is good, but student life is non existant at home :frown: so am considering moving out. i dono i'll give it a try :frown:
Reply 104
Original post by tsr-member
Do what I did :rolleyes:

First semester: Halls
- gives you the proper experience of 'FRESHHERRRSSS WEEEEK' (it's not the same at home)
- gives you the general experience of living independently as a student
- you make more friends

Second semester: Home
- actually makes it possible to revise for Summer exams
- saves money (I'm planning on spending mine on traveling in the summer)
- you've already made friends in halls by this point so you can still hang out with them

I know it's a hard decision (I've been in the same boat) but PM me if you want some more advice and stuff :rolleyes:

:biggrin: hehe thanks, although I ended up going to a diff uni and living in a private house down the road from the uni :smile: really don't reccommend commuting in the first year though!!!! :smile:
I moved out about 40 mins away for my 1st year what i realised that if you don't really get on with your flatmates it does become harder to make friends as most, but maybe that's just me. I think i might just move back home because atm i just can't wait for it to be Easter so i can go back home im jus going to man up and live it through.
Reply 106
Just thought I'd post this quick question in here.

On my UCAS application I put down that I will be living home while studying at Uni. For my chosen university you apply for accommodation through UCAS(they look at you application I assume and send you an application pack in the post).

Since I've now decided to move away and live on campus is there anyone I can contact to change this? Should I contact UCAS for the university I want to go and live in?
Original post by JamesBris
Just thought I'd post this quick question in here.

On my UCAS application I put down that I will be living home while studying at Uni. For my chosen university you apply for accommodation through UCAS(they look at you application I assume and send you an application pack in the post).

Since I've now decided to move away and live on campus is there anyone I can contact to change this? Should I contact UCAS for the university I want to go and live in?

Phone the uni directly.
some people hate halls, the expense, unconsiderate people i.e noise/mess etc. but that's suppoesd to be part of the fun.

Personally, if I where you I'd do what a load of my friends did.
Stay at home for the first year, get really sociable with people on your course, meet their mates, crash on their floors when you want a night out etc. Then you can move into a nice house with them into your 2nd and 3rd year and it means you can save money during your first year to have a really great time in your 2nd year.
Reply 109
Original post by lulz-kay
When applying to UCAS.. Sheffield was the only uni which I said I wouldn't accommodate at (it's 10 minutes away on the train, 20-30mins in the car).. but now I'm having second thoughts.. should I commute at home or in halls?

My actual question is: How much will I ACTUALLY miss out? If I were to live at home..

The way I see it.. travelling to the uni will be cheaper which means I can pay for other things such as driving lessons and possibly get a decent car (I've been saving up for a while..) and my parents won't charge me rent..they even said they'll support me financially if need be.. But I'm just confusssseed... I couldn't possibly be the ONLY person who doesn't live within the uni during th first year???

:frown: Thanks

You may miss out some bit of it, but then if it is just 10min on the train or max 30min on car, I would rather live at home. If you were to miss out anything, you can just get there within 10min and attend it. Think of the accommodation fees, having to do everything yourself,.... YES it is called growing up, but do you think you can do this all at this stage?

+ You will save quite a lot of money for the accommodation, which normally you don't get much for from student loan.
Reply 110
im having the same concerns, i live near Norwich and i will hopefully be going to Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge, i dont know whether to live at home or commute, its a good 60 miles away, but i could get the train, which would take about 1hour and quarter, im now classed as a mature student so im not bothered about going out to clubs and that! I am also helping out my family a lot at the minute so unsure what impact it would have on them.

any help or advice would be so helpful right now.
Original post by ~carly~
im having the same concerns, i live near Norwich and i will hopefully be going to Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge, i dont know whether to live at home or commute, its a good 60 miles away, but i could get the train, which would take about 1hour and quarter, im now classed as a mature student so im not bothered about going out to clubs and that! I am also helping out my family a lot at the minute so unsure what impact it would have on them.

any help or advice would be so helpful right now.

Having done Cambridge to Norwich, I would say that the train service is unreliable and a bit frustrating; also consider that the train station in Cambridge isn't really that close to ARU.

Give it a few trial runs.
Reply 112
Original post by TheSownRose
Having done Cambridge to Norwich, I would say that the train service is unreliable and a bit frustrating; also consider that the train station in Cambridge isn't really that close to ARU.

Give it a few trial runs.

yeh i've done it a couple of times and i am still pretty much 60-40% wanting to stay in halls.

i feel like it will be so tough, especially for my parents as we are so close, but then isnt it hard for most students moving away?!?!!
Honestly, do you regret it? I'm having mixed feelings because.... well my parents are worried about the debt I'll be in after I finish, and if I do move in maybe I'll have complete-douchebag-flatmates.

I do want to move out though. So, is it worth it? All the independence etc.?
Reply 114
Student loans are not debt as such, more of a tax tbh.
The benefits outweigh the drawbacks IMO and I have zero regrets. People say "Living in halls costs money, better stay at home", but really, you're sacrificing all the fun and social opportunities for the sake of saving £3.5k, which is a drop in the ocean of how much you'll earn and spend throughout your life. Why hold back?

Oh, and if tradition is anything to go by, I'll end up clashing with TheSownRose over this issue :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Of course it's worth it, how else are you suppose to get independence? Plus the debt we acquire half of it we probably won't have to pay it back, it's just like an extra tax. & you'll meet awesome people either way if you have terrible flatmates :biggrin: x
I'm watching this thread.
I moved back in with my parents after first year, but lived in halls first year and have NEVER regretted that. The independence is just amazing; it's a bit of a shock living back with my parents now, actually.
Reply 119
I'm definitely moving into halls. Wouldn't go to university if I was to stay at home. I'm investing in my future and that includes

Education

A good education

Independence

Learning to manage bills/sort out accommodation myself

Learning to shop for myself/budget

Do the housework/laundry/dishes/ironing/ etc.

Social

A better social life away on campus with friends etc

Not having to work your life around other family members

Get more involved with societies and stick to them because you're on campus

Extras

Travel expenses are virtually non existant in some places - some can walk to town/city

May as well pay for the full package to be honest. Most people I know who go to university and stay at home still to some degree get molly coddled by their parents. I don't see how that could benefit someone to be honest as eventually you'll have to do things for yourself and university is the ideal place as many others are in the same position.

Latest

Trending

Trending