The Student Room Group

Mature students, A-levels, and Vet medicine

Hi there,

I have a big issue to deal with and I'm wondering if you could help.

I'm 23 years old and my life long ambition is to become a vet. I did my high school years in Colombia (south america) and since I've been in the UK I've always been in education.

First I did an Access to Nursing. I only did this course because someone convinced me that being a vet is too hard so I should go for a different career all together. I finished the course but realised that nursing was never something for me and that I should stick to my dream of becoming a vet.

Then I went on to do a BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management. I got DDD as my overall grade and Distinctions on all 18 subjects. I've also done some work experience including: 2 zoos, stables, animal sanctuary, one vets, lambing, and planning to do more.

I've taken some time off since then to save up for a house as well as doing some GCSE's from home Biology, Chemistry and Maths on which I'm hoping to get As.

Now my problem is that when I approached a couple of colleges to do the A-levels I need for uni they kind of said I'm too old to do A-levels??? Even though I said I didn't mind being in a class with younger people or funding the course myself...and one of them even said I'm sort of not academically prepared to do such hard A-levels??

The only way I can get into uni is by having the A-levels they ask for so how am I meant to do them if colleges won't take me?the A-levels I need to do are biology, chemistry, maths, and physics.

Now there is a college that has offered me a place for this september coming but I think I'm going to have to postpone it til next year as I'm in the process of getting a house...do you think they'll save my place for next year (I'll be 25 by next september)?unfortunately my money doesn't stretch enough to cover for the initial costs of getting a house and paying for college at the same time.

Is there anybody over the age of 25 that has been accepted to full time college without any issues or has done it already? anybody on a similar situation at all?

any advice is really appreciated...I really want to achieve this dream but I feel like I'm all own my on sometimes.

I live in Dudley (west midlands) btw...if anybody local to me can help :smile:

p.s sorry for the long post :p:
I phoned a few uni's up this week as i'm interested in doing vet med and only have an access to health and science course. Bristol and Nottingham accept access courses, from the impression i got you will probably have to do the 6 year course (with intensive biology and chemistry on 1st year to get you up to par with the other people when you start the next year), but that's only if you're like me and don't really remember much of your course/education :biggrin: I was told to apply for the 6 year course, then if they think i'm up to it they'd put me onto the 5 year instead.

Phone the uni's up yourself, explain to them your educational background and see what they say. To be honest it sounds as if you're more than ready to do the 5 year, but some uni's do insist on A levels only, which is a real shame :frown:
Reply 2
I think that's what I'm going to do tbh. I'm going to apply for the six year course next year but I'm also still going to start the A-levels just in case I don't get in.

Really, with the qualifications I've got I can apply to 3 of the 6 year courses and one of the 5 year course (RVC).
Reply 3
You are absolutely not too old to do your A levels! I went back to college to do mine, when I was 26 - a full decade older than the other students, and I got on fine!

Latest

Trending

Trending