The Student Room Group

The "Am I Good Enough For Dentistry" Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey there!

I really want to study dentistry but i'm worried that my GCSE grades will let me down.

I got 1A* 1A 6Bs and 2Cs, could anyone tell me if this is ok, please!!

thankyou!
They are OK.
Avoid Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds.
What were your 2 Cs in?
Reply 62
ict both of them
Reply 63
Just work you bum off for your A-levels....If you want to know how to work round your academic grades get in touch!
Reply 64
yes amzi247
that would be great if you could help me:smile:

thankyou!
Reply 65
MarjaaniMarjaani
They are OK.
Avoid Sheffield, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool and Leeds.
What were your 2 Cs in?

Hi
thankyou for your reply
the only uni i can think of that is not in that list is newcastle
it would be helpful if you could tell me some others
thanks
Suhail1993
Hi
thankyou for your reply
the only uni i can think of that is not in that list is newcastle
it would be helpful if you could tell me some others
thanks

There are around 13 dental schools
If you search for dentistry on UCAS, you will get all of them come up and then you can start doing some research on the GCSE entry requirements for each school
It's all about being pro-active and doing some independent research ... will help when you're at university
If you have any problems after you've tried doing some research yourself, feel free to post, and I'm sure someone on here will help you
Reply 67
thanks
Reply 68
Hello all,
For my GCSE's, I have achieved 9B's and 2C's. The Cs were for Geography and Religous Ed. I did get B in Maths/Bio/Chem/Physics and English and some other subjects.

I am predicted AAAA for my AS year for Biology Chemistry Economics and Media. OK these look quiet good, but do I even stand a chance of an interview/offer because of my crappy GCSE's??

Im thinking of applying to Kings, QM, Cardiff and Leeds.

Ive got 2weeks work exp at a General Practioner, and have 1 more week at hospital planned.

Do you think I'll get in?? Im starting to doubt it, people have gotten rejected with A's :eek3: , so what chance do I have? :eek3:

THANK YOUU
well your A levels sound good enough. Best thing to do would be to email each uni and ask for their entry requirements.
Reply 70
Most need a minimum of B, some C. Im still waiting on the uni replies, might aswell get used to it, UCAS will be like this :biggrin:

But Ive already got minimums, there are so many other people that have got A*'s for gcse and im crapping my self that the mo :s-smilie:

Do you mind if I ask what you got?
There is a possibility, but it may be slim. There have been students who have minimum 2 As and the remainder Bs that have received medicine offers and achieved them. You are doing your A Levels now so you should concentrate on those. GCSEs are the past and history. They serve as a guidance, but only indicate your ability to an extent. Don't be put off and people are rejected for many reasons. However, with interviews and BMAT/UKCAT examinations in place these are other ways to consider a student regardless of what they previously achieved in their GCSEs. You have the required A Level predictions and I presume that meets many universities. You should apply and if worst comes to worst you can use the remaining choice on your UCAS form or go through UCAS extra/clearing.
Reply 72
Hmm yes I was thinking about a different career, but Dentistry is the most appealing for me..

Thanks though, its nice to know they judge on something other than GCSE and Alevels.
Reply 73
my sister got 1 A , 7 b and 3 c's with bs in tripple science and c for biology and i know she got AAAB and got into manchester uni.

Just saying :confused:
Reply 74
Jay99
my sister got 1 A , 7 b and 3 c's with bs in tripple science and c for biology and i know she got AAAB and got into manchester uni.

Just saying :confused:

Thats great. She must of aced the PS and Interview then.
Looks like I do have a chance-ish :woo:
Reply 75
Hi there,
I am in a very similar position, as I am also retaking my AS year. I have just finished sending letters to a few of the dental schools I was hoping to apply to.

Have you heard back from any more?
Also, I noticed its been 3 weeks since your your last post, any new information you could share with me, I would really appreciate it!
Reply 76
Good luck mate at the interview , hope u get through!

remember... positive
Reply 77
--
(edited 13 years ago)
jay110
Hey!
It was pretty much rejections from all of them.

I've given up with the UK and am now in the process of applying abroad. I'm sitting the entrance exam for Charles University in Prague pretty soon so fingers crossed.

Also applied to Government Medical College in India and also Comenius university in bratislava

Oh :frown: sorry to hear that
Perhaps abroad will be the best option.. prague apparantly is basically a med course with a few dental topics.. so just be careful which uni you choose, as the ones abroad will have different types of courses.

Im also considering applying to India if i get rejections... but i dont know a lot about unis there..
applying abroad is so difficult sometimes due to the lack of information available...

Anyway, good luck :smile:
Reply 79
--
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply